Dakkar Viking Longboat

That is amazeballs. I adore everything about it! Presuming you seal the bottom I’d be terribly curious if it floats!

4 Likes

And perhaps some spray-on accelerator…

4 Likes

This is gorgeous! What a beautiful design and I can only imagine the over 50 hours you’ve put into it! Really great piece of design work.

4 Likes

This is absolutely stunning! Would love to see your next iteration!

5 Likes

In addition to this being a gorgeous work of art, it’s also a gorgeous piece of crafting. Thank you so much for showing it to us.

5 Likes

That is SO very cool! You should be quite proud of what you’ve created… nicely done!

4 Likes

Wow just wow. Please keep it up this is stunning.

Keep Creating.

3 Likes

Quit a valent little craft, great work!

2 Likes

Incredible work!

2 Likes

That’s amazing! Looking forward to seeing future versions!

3 Likes

Wow, incredible! What an undertaking!:star_struck::clap:t2::clap:t2:

2 Likes

Wow, that’s stunning! With a few more beers and a campfire, do you think you could make a full-size one? (After all, your buddy’s suggestion came out so well…)

can’t wait to see the next version.

3 Likes

This is definitely the coolest thing ever :star_struck:

2 Likes

That was 50 hours well spent. I’m gobsmacked. Will you be adding hours to the build by painting the shields? Making your own Viking fleet? :joy:

This reminds me of this guy in Hawaii, when I worked in the air force base woodworking hobby shop. He built a swinging cradle in the shape of a small jolly boat. It came out perfect, but he was really meticulous (like you). He cut and shaped each of the siding board. Must have taken him 50 hours plus over 9 months. He used a standing disc sander to shape the front and back tips. One time I was standing at another tool while he was doing this and he lost his grip on the small spear-like piece of wood. It shot between my legs. Couple inches higher and I wouldn’t have needed a vasectomy a few years later. :rofl::joy::pray:

3 Likes

Ooooooh! In progress pics?

2 Likes

Just some of the in process pics.

10 Likes

On this build I don’t think I’m gonna do any painting. I’m liking the raw antique look vibe it’s has with just a light oak staining. Still going through my thought process for the sail and rigging. Still researching it. The “ghost ship” look has me in a conundrum on maybe “less is more”. Probably leave this one “as is” and work paint, sails, and rigging on another one.

15 Likes

Did you do this all “in your head” or use a 3d-design App like Fusion?

Drew a rudimentary design on paper and then into inkscape. I did look at tons and tons of pics on the internet for scale and basic ship building. Many cuts in cardboard to test fit. Looked at ship plans as well but hand drawing was used. I did find the dragon head as a pic on the internet and modified to my liking.

7 Likes

I do all my design in Inkscape, I can visualize in my head a lot easier than I can wrap my brain around Fusion or similar.

I did use Sketchup back in my early 3d-print years but we know what happened to that.

3 Likes