Damaged Printhead due to bad mirror installation, printhead replacement options?

Was having significant issues with the unit not cutting completely through proof grade medium draft board material, seemed like I was having to clean the lenses after every 3 or 4 projects to keep it cutting properly. Not a significant issue, but a bit annoying. I finally decided to do a more thorough cleaning of the print head to see if that would help, including taking off the top and cleaning the print head mirror. That ended up being a mistake.

This was the first time cleaning the mirror, and apparently I did not get it seated back in the hole perfectly, when I went to do my next project, the machine would run, but there was no laser exiting the print head. I made it about 1 minute into the project before realizing this and immediately stopped the Glowforge, but the damage had already been done.

It appears there is a material in the print head (some type or plastic it appears judging by the melting in the picture) that probably houses the magnetic ring that holds in the lens, that is now melted and will not allow the lens to seat properly. I was able to print a project after reseating the mirror, but by the end of the first cut it was no longer cutting through the proof grade, so I am sure that little tilt is throwing off the cut.

I realize this was an issue created completely by me, nobody else to blame, this is more of a warning for others to heed, but I do not see a way to replace the print head on the shop page, so I am hoping there is some way I can get this replaced.

Sorry for the stupidity on my part Glowforge team, but hopefully you guys can bail me out here without stripping me of my wonderful new toy completely :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2 Likes

Oh crud! Hope they can get you fixed back up quickly. :confused:

Thanks for sharing this!!! As you know, the print head is a “snap in accessory”. I will be very interested in how long it takes to obtain the replacement since it is not in the store and the cost. I’m good at making mistakes like that!

Good luck!!!

Thank you for letting us know about this.

I’m looking into your options, and I will be in touch as soon as I have more information.

I’m very sorry for the delay in replying. I’ve followed up with you in email with information about next steps so we can get you back to printing as quickly as possible.