Dec 2016 Glowforge Q&A

Thanks a lot for the info :slight_smile: ill try to keep up with the international shipping updates near the due date… I appreciate your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, we are on the cusp on a new month and a new year. Will we be receiving an update from @dan as to the status of the beginning production/manufacture of Glowforges for release into the distribution channels? If not, at least an update on the software, design, proofgrade, and other aspects related to the actual hardware itself. Thanks.

4 Likes

If @dan keeps to the monthly update schedule after the whole announcement at the beginning of December, there should indeed be one coming shortly. Given the holidays, I wouldn’t expect one until mid January

1 Like

Some preliminary design tips coming tonight once @marmak3261 finishes looking them over. You should be able to get started doing some preliminary vector work using them. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

It would be nice to have a GlowForge :glowforge: “State of the New Year” report.

What has happened in December, what issues have been resolved in 2016, have the pre-production lab testing units gotten to the test labs, etc.

9 Likes

Since the production units use a different metallised coating that could potentially affect both safety and EMC, I would think it needs to be the full production units that go to the test houses.

1 Like

Sorry but with that profile icon (Muppet’s Animal) I’d expect a differently phrased request. Something like:

ME WANT UPDAAAAAATE! =smash, crash, lady screaming=

=Pant pant pant= STATE! NEW YEAR!

But instead we get this animal:

10 Likes

I have made “Animal” comments elsewhere. Don’t want the chain collar put back on.

4 Likes

Oh, so your avatar is Animal? I kind of just go by general colors and outlines of things and I always thought it was a rooster! Ha! Guess I need to look more closely.:sunglasses:

14 Likes

I see the rooster… :laughing:

4 Likes

Now I can’t stop seeing Animal. Used to see the rooster. Funny how the mind works interpreting images.

3 Likes

A January 2017 update is sorely needed. I am not getting any work done, as I keep coming back here looking for an update.

15 Likes

Bad time to point out there are 27 more days to get that announcement into?

Also for out Dept to wait for our yearly budget. Crossing fingers for a full time position or two to be approved.

3 Likes

Seeing how the December update was on the 2nd, it has been over a month already. I figure people might not be back to work from vacation yet, and there might not be anything substantial to tell us yet. I don’t mind if there isn’t much progress. Selfishly I would like a quick update, so I can stop checking this page like a maniac.

3 Likes

The issue with nonspecific times:

Monthly - every 30 or so days
Monthly - once in a calendar month

The second one allows for a max of 62 days between updates.

1 Like

I am not trying to be rigid, as I know “monthly” updates could mean nearly anything. Ill be happy when we get an update, because it is my favorite part of waiting.

2 Likes

In fairness, it’s reasonable to be antsy since for the most part the company has decided to favor the forum over email for news, and not everyone will want to come here daily.

2 Likes

I do. I learn so much from everyone here!

4 Likes

yes and that’s nice, but most customers definitely won’t. you’ll note i didn’t say everybody.

2 Likes

Well…there it is.

7 Likes