Decorative Wood Gate

Hi,
My name is Kelly and I am just getting started with my Glowforge. Lots to learn but having a great time. This might be considered my first “real project”. We needed a gate at our front porch door so that we could leave the door open for the breeze, but keep the dog inside. My husband constructed a custom wood gate to coordinate with the fence we built last year, and we used the GF to create removable decorative panels . We have started with the house numbers, but plan to make seasonal designs to switch in & out. I created the panel shapes and numbers in Autocad, saved as PDFs, then converted to SVGs in Adobe Illustrator. We were painting the panels so I didn’t worry too much about a bit of burn on the edges. IMG_3312

(Piper the dog peaking through the ‘4’)

84 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never had this much fun with a tool.
Nice work!

4 Likes

Looks great!

5 Likes

I love this, great idea, nice execution!

Check your PMs for a message from me. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Oh, very nice! Love the numbers built into the gate! :grinning:

4 Likes

Great practical solution. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Amazing design! I love the idea of changing them out for various seasons and holidays. Don’t forget to show us when you make new ones!

3 Likes

What a great use and execution! I’m sure Piper appreciates such an elegant barrier to freedom :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It looks amazing! Well done.

1 Like

Excellent start. Very nice.

I am always interested in seeing things made that are bigger than a Glowforge bed. The wood looks very thick, is it more than 1/4"?

A most elegant design!

That is impressive. It’s really nice.

That’s a really nice addition to the gate. Great creativity!

If this is your first project, I can’t wait to see what’s coming!

I think I would have done the 0 with a stencil or scroll saw font.

But this way leaves a place for doggie noses to poke out. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

As Piper peers out the 4 instead of the 0… :grin:

4 Likes

Apparently there’s some thing going around FB now where you form your hands into an “O” and dogs supposedly will automatically stick their snout into the opening. My dog fails; he licks my pinkie fingers and then paws at my hands to get me to take them apart and pet him.

Maybe I need to send him to doggie reform school. :wink:

4 Likes

That’s a very practical and elegant solution!

very cool idea and i like the crisp look you’ve got on the design