Deepnest

I just came across this awesome tool called Deepnest for Mac , PC and Linux. it looks like a really useful program for optimizing the amount of cuts required and amount of material used https://deepnest.io

14 Likes

That looks pretty cool. Iā€™ll bookmark it and come back if I can find some time over the weekend.

Thanks.

1 Like

Holy good-timing, Batman. Ive been fighting with a program I use trying to find a way to make it do exactly this and had just given up - it has a ā€œfill spaceā€ feature, but their idea of filling wasnā€™t optimizing. Thank you so much! This is going to make much better use of my material.

1 Like

There are free ones available. Key word ā€˜nestingā€™
Cannot say if they are better, but they are free.

Thought I had a link for an online one I tried once, but cannot find it - sorry.

1 Like

Not used it before, but I think itā€™s this one.

https://svgnest.com/

1 Like

Everytime I use that it chokes in my files. Maybe theyā€™re too complicated or Iā€™m not getting the parameters right but I end up just doing it manually.

Iā€™ve never had a problem with itā€™s stability, but itā€™s been so slow when Iā€™ve used it that I can manually organize objects faster. If I recall correctly Deepnest is the paid version of svgnest, with some additional functionality.

It looks like the pricing model has changed for Deepnest; I vaguely remember it being more of a subscription model in the past.

1 Like

You can adjust the slider to pay what you want before downloading it. I slid it all the way to the left (0) and grabbed it last night. Iā€™ll see if it works better than svgnest and if so download again and donate. I didnā€™t want to spend the $ if itā€™s not up to the tasks I normally need to optimize.

5 Likes

I think he might have fixed that. I just tried and it only went down to $1. I figure for $1, Iā€™ll try it. Iā€™ve spent more and gotten a lot less.

2 Likes

Went to $0 for me just now. Happy to pay if it works well.

4 Likes

Went to $0 for me as well. I just gave it a quick test before I head to the airport and it worked much more quickly than svgnest, and worked pretty well for a complex test.

I just had to realize that I needed to increase the quantity of ā€œsheetsā€ before starting the nest, because it does not automatically add more sheets when it canā€™t fit all of the objects.

5 Likes

Good to hear. I have piles of scrap pieces because I donā€™t optimize perfectly and hadnā€™t had any success with svgnest. Iā€™m going to see how it manages with objects with engraves. A lot of times the orientation can have a significant impact on times for engraves and Iā€™m generally happier to waste material than I am to waste time.

2 Likes

My test included two objects with engraves. It placed them fine in terms of space usage, but I wasnā€™t paying attention to orientation for speed. Iā€™m in thecar heading to the airport now, so canā€™t pull it up again.

1 Like

thatā€™s my plan, too. just downloaded it, will play with it either tonight or when i get back from my chicago trip for the weekend.

1 Like

I paid $17. Seems like a pretty solid piece of software.

5 Likes

not the default $125? :wink:

If I were using it every day, I probably would pay that. But as someone who will use it a few times per year, nope.

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.