Default setting suggestion

A setting suggestion for those with the power to change it.

After the last major UI overhaul the default speed on medium and thick basswood hardwoods changed from around 160 to 200. Generally from what I’ve found most of my cuts won’t cut very well unless it’s in the 150-160 range, that’s even with using proof grade medium draft board, as well as the exotic woods that came in the proof pack. I’d suggest ether changing it back, or putting some type of alert for the user to take a look and review settings before firing off the project.

Hock

I don’t have a thick basswood hardwood choice.
I have thick basswood plywood, but the speed is not 200 for a pro.
What machine are you using? I don’t believe default settings were changed by Glowforge recently.

you may be confusing hardwood and plywood settings?

hardwood, as @dklgood said, is only medium. and yes, that shows at 200 on my basic.

med plywood shows as 150.

thick plywood shows as 166.

1 Like

@dklgood

Nope it’s my most used wood as well. I’m using the Plus, and yes they changed when they rolled out the UI that had the change with the color changing objects. Its a miner inconvenience but it’s something I thought I’d throw it up there

Thick basswood hardwood is what I said.

1 Like

So I threw a random project in and checked the cut settings. Here is what I found:

So thick basswood hardwood shows the same as what you mentioned but the medium definitely doesn’t.

Your comment says “thick basswood hardwood”, while your screenshot shows “thick basswood plywood”. Plywood and hardwood are not synonyms.

I checked a chart of PG settings someone put together last year, and they are the same as the settings you see now. They have not changed.

Here’s a post from 2018 also confirming that the speed for medium basswood hardwood was 200 then as well, so that hasn’t changed in at least 3 years.

Since you keep mixing them up, it seems like perhaps you’re accidentally choosing hardwood when you mean to choose plywood, or vice versa. As the hardwood and plywood don’t cut at the same speeds, this will cause you problems with your projects. Make sure you select the material you’re using.

4 Likes

what @dan84 said. i think you’re mixing up hardwood and plywood here.

2 Likes

It sounds like this might, indeed, be a confusion with hardwood/plywood settings. Can you let us know if you’re still having issues?

(Thanks everyone, for the assist!)

1 Like

Ok so the naming convention was my bad because I wasn’t seeing it, however I’ve always manually set my speed after wasting a few of the included proof grade boards because the speed was inconsistent with the need of the wood. Regardless of which wood I’m using the defaults are not coming up as accurate, especially if I’m making signs or things with tight corners or curves (lettering for example) and generally requires a slower speed.

If your optics and fans are clean, and you are using proofgrade material the proofgrade settings are guaranteed to work. If you waste material under these conditions, Glowforge will replace the materials, so I suggest documenting your experience with screenshots of the interface and photos of the failed prints.

3 Likes

Was not aware of that so good to know for sure!

If the defaults just aren’t working right, that sounds like it might be a machine issue. I’m going to ask one of my colleagues in tech to take a look!

1 Like

Hi there, I would like to follow up and check on how your Glowforge is performing utilizing the following standard test.

Do you have any Proofgrade material on hand?

We will need this test on proofgrade material to eliminate variables and establish a baseline for how your Glowforge is functioning. Here are the test instructions below:

There are several things that need to be checked if the laser doesn’t cleanly cut through the material. We’ve discovered that photos don’t always come through well in emails, so I’ve included several links that will take you to reference instructions and photos. Please turn off your Glowforge and check the following:

Once all these things have been checked, please perform the following test print.

• When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.

Check the completed print:

• If the Gift of Good Measure fails to cut through, take a photo of the front and back of the print and attach these photos to your reply.

• If the Gift of Good Measure cuts successfully, please try another print of the design you experienced the issue with, and let us know the results.

Looking forward to investigating once you complete this test :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.