Design Catalog and Proofgrade materials?

Does purchasing a design from the catalog and using Proofgrade materials guarantee success?

I know that my designs are going to take me some trial and error to get them perfect. I also had a few glitches with my Silhouette when trying to get it to register or fit in the cutting area. Will there be any guarantees on design and materials?

1 Like

Life has no guarantees just best efforts and intentions and planning

6 Likes

I think that is the goal and pipe line dream. But I don’t think they will hang any money on it yet. Maybe in a couple of years when they have the bugs worked out.

1 Like

From everything I have read in the forum and interviews with @dan, the materials and design catalog is going to be an important part of the Glowforge project. For people to get the Glowforge up and running, producing something within 15 minutes for a large number of people will necessarily mean providing for design and materials that just work out of the box. The extras given as a premium after the shipping delay are indications of the scalability of the materials catalog.

As to guaranteed or your money back, that is an interesting question. The Inventables warranty disclaimer gives quite a bit of latitude to the company; however, they do envision that some materials will not be in conformance with expectations.

2 Likes

Would be surprised if there isn’t still some minor variance in the materials or in the Glowforge tube output. Whether that be small production variance or just with age. I’m sure there will be a high degree of confidence in success, but “guarantee” that there will be no monetary guarantees.

2 Likes

Warranty guarantees are finicky legal beasts but our goal is to make proofgrade + catalog bulletproof against a host of problems.

3 Likes

Bulletproof lol I like the walk around on terminology. Everyone should understand that no matter how many steps you as a company take towards perfect results, in the end you are handing it to someone and letting them finish the product. Any tool in the right hands can produce masterpiece or garbage.

2 Likes

I have learned years ago never use the word guarantee. It has a specific legal meaning that can get you stuck holding the bad because a end user couldn’t follow directions or under stand scope of what they are doing

2 Likes

More like “bullet-resistant”… nothing is bulletproof, you just need a bigger bullet.

1 Like

A bigger bullet wouldn’t matter, the strength of the material and velocity is more important.

1 Like

Bulletproof is fine, but I’m more worried about foolproof. I can be quite the fool…

5 Likes

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

3 Likes

And the world will make a bigger fool…

2 Likes

“Like looking down on a lubricious chess set, isn’t it? The king moves in tiny steps, with no direction, like a drunkard trying to avoid the archer’s bolt. The others work their strategies and wait for the old man to fall. He has no power, yet all power moves in his orbit and to his mad whim. Do you know there’s no fool piece on the chessboard, Kent?" "Methinks the fool is the player, the mind above the moves.”
― Christopher Moore, Fool

4 Likes