Design source

Me too…sounds like sorcery…lol :fearful:

6 Likes

I’ve been trying to raise the capital to commercialize it. Unfortunately, I am much better at making new tech possible, than marketing it. I have been considering crowd funding, but don’t know enough about it to put together a winning strategy.

6 Likes

The color changes are possible because two dyes degrade at different rates. The blue and red mix starts with excess blue, which degrades to a 1:1 mix that is white. As more blue dye degrades the output turns to red.

12 Likes

I like the explaination of sorcery better…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Sounds really cool, though.

2 Likes

Colored vellum!? Oh, I like that!

(it’s probably been around for years. i just don’t get out much.)

2 Likes

You can find it at scrapbooking supply stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby in the US

3 Likes

There’s a really cool B vitamin byproduct that seems to capture the thermal energy from a moving oxygen molecule, binding it, then rearranging to release light, colder oxygen, and the original molecule back to react again. It might be possible to make either a refrigeration device from it, or a light that stays lit as long as it is exposed to air.

10 Likes

8 Likes

I will reveal this material’s identity when I have concluded that I can’t find a path forward with it, in the hope that someone else can provide input that can make it happen.

6 Likes

Rather than look at the “formulation” as a novelty, (If you are), target an audience that wants/needs some kind of emergency lighting that is, quite literally, independent of a power supply, all it needs is to be exposed to air. Long shelf life? sell it to preppers, repeat sales may be a problem.

If the light diminishes proportionately to the O2 level it could be a used as a safety device in mines, or any “enclosed” space, even better if you could get it to change colour as CO2, or other gas, percentage changes.

Just a thought

10 Likes

I don’t know how bright from a lumen perspective but would seem to be a great camping/hiking/backpacking accessory. That’s a huge market. Seems like the best way would be to license the technology out.

4 Likes

Yes, camping, maybe, hiking not so sure when the major selling point in that sector seems to be weight, or lack of it, could have an energy density problem vs lightweight electrical systems. Certainly worth pursuing though.

6 Likes

Weight is definitely an issue with hiking and backpacking. Depending upon luminance could be an alternative. Or not. So many uses for something like this!

6 Likes

HBO might be a potential customer (seriously). If your glowing green liquid is brighter than what they’re using now to represent “wildfire” (assuming it’s not entirely CG) they may be interested.

Wildfire is basically the Game of Thrones version of Greek fire and is used in at least one pivotal scene in the show (and possibly the books). Near the end of this video a “spoiler warning” has basically the opposite effect as it contains a strong hint about a pivotal moment in the show.

Those who plan to watch Game of Thrones but haven’t yet should stop at 3:20 or so or risk hearing a spoiler.

3 Likes

Might be too late…last season is likely under production now.
:disappointed_relieved:

I was gonna suggest the military. Something the troops can carry. But any of the survival groups. Hurricane preparedness. Red Cross. That sort of thing.

1 Like

is it an A + B type formula where A can be added to a relatively stable B as needed to draw out the light duration or amount of light if needed?

2 Likes

Halloween is approaching- making little goblins visible is big that time of year ( reducing auto accidents involving children). Seems safety is a big reason for the glow stick like luminescence. Usually not bright enough (compared to led) to illuminate an area for sight, using it for novelty, safety or “special effect” would be a target audience. As mentioned above, if a liquid, weight would be an issue for hiking/camping, although using to illuminate tent stakes and ropes in a campsite is another use.

3 Likes

The picture shown is a A + B formulation while the O2 reactive is substantially A + air.

There is a material called tetrakis(dimethylamino)ethylene that reacts with air producing light. It is destroyed in the process and has an unpleasant odor. It is used to make glowing clouds. I used to coat starched white ghost forms and hang them from the trees with monofilament. I would wet the ghosts and the neighborhood kids would go crazy. One halloween there was a strong wind and it made them react faster and they began to catch on fire after awhile. We stopped doing it after that happened.

11 Likes

Whoa. Super rad. Never heard of that stuff before! Wow

1 Like