Design source

Long time since I was in a chemistry lab, what would happen if you mixed A with H2O2 for example?

1 Like

Thank you for using the phrase ā€œsuper rad.ā€ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The first picture utilizes H2O2 as the primary B ingredient. It is standard peroxyoxalate chemistry with a twist. It would glow brighter at higher H2O2 concentration, provided you added some base to compensate for H2O2ā€™s acidity. The same is largely true for the ingredient in the second picture.

2 Likes

My in-laws have spent a bucket of cash over the years at Emergency Essentials. They are serious into the business - and there are people who are wanting to have every contingency covered when the big one comes.

There is one market.

Halloween props is another.

2 Likes

ā€¦Ask for it by name kids!

4 Likes

I have too.

(Take an awful lot of teasing for it, but when the last hurricane wiped out power for a couple weeks, we were handing out food and water to several neighbors and a lot of kids, and running a fan and charging phones from the little gas generator .)

Been doing it for years. I actually use the stuff I buy from them in cooking, because itā€™s a hell of a lot easier to throw a handful of chopped freeze dried onions and spinach into a soup base or omelette and walk away than it is to chop an onion and stand over it while they sauteā€™. Tastes just the same.

And some of their dried fruits are great for snacking. :smiley:

4 Likes

The tale of the ant and the grasshopper comes to mind.

Few people realize just how dependent they are on the infrastructure that we all take for granted.
How long for an anxious populace to strip a grocery store?

As a refugee from hurricane Wilma in Mexico, we got to see just how fast civility falls away when people perceive the situation is grave.
Points for preparation there Jules! :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Three days or so.

[quote=ā€œprintolaser, post:47, topic:2790ā€]
Points for preparation there Jules! [/quote]

Honestly, canā€™t take any creditā€¦itā€™s a way of life for most of the people who grew up in hurricane country. (Or earthquake country for that matter.)

My 100 year old grandmother used to wash out milk jugs and hang them in the attic rafters for when they were needed to store drinking water for storms. :relaxed:

Unfortunately there used to be a few folks from the north who greatly enjoyed sneering at their ā€œprovincialā€ cousins in the southā€¦right up until Sandy came along. Itā€™s not so much fun once you experience it firsthand.

But yeah, living can be dangerous. Anything you can do to increase the odds in your favor, you want to do ahead of time. It doesnā€™t always happen to someone else.

At least with hurricanes you have a little bit of time to prepareā€¦I would not like to live where the ground shakes, or a tornado was likely to pop up unexpectedly. :fearful:

2 Likes

Back before the unit I work for was sold (again) we had a location in NJ that was pretty much in the center of where Sandy hit. One person last saw their house floating towards Portugal. But the woman I worked with the most - her husband was prepared. He had a generator, fuel, contingency plans - he was ready for everything shot of the zombie apocalypse. They may have been the very first block to have power restored, about three hours without electricity. He was very disappointed. Other people who worked there were without power for a month. She was perfectly fine with their good fortune.

5 Likes

But you knowā€¦if he hadnā€™t been prepared, they would have been without power for a month at leastā€¦thatā€™s one of those immutable laws of nature. Chuckle! :smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™m just sayinā€™ :wink:

The last major outage we had most of the neighborhood kids were hanging out in our house watching DVDs, eating popcorn, drinking cold sodas because we were the only house in the neighborhood with a generator. One of the kids wanted to watch Netflix and we had to point out there was no cable/internet. Got an attitude about how come we couldnā€™t get cable.

Ungrateful wretch. Clueless too - didnā€™t understand that the same poles with electric wires had cable wires and the trees that took out the former also took the latter down.

When they left I tethered my phone and the nice kids watched Netflix :grinning:

10 Likes

I like your style! :wink:

1 Like

Hydrogen Peroxide, such a useful compound.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

I love how this started as a thread about Halloween decorations, and turned into one about smartphones, disaster survival, and glowstick chemistry.

5 Likes

What a random statement to make.

:grin:

1 Like

Hehe, yes. We are a diverse group, and I have grown to appreciate that you never know what is going to surface in a discussion.
Inevitably a topic evokes a memory of a personal experience, and that embellishes the conversation.
Not all who wander are lostā€¦ Just a little side-tracked. :no_mouth:

4 Likes