Designing things I always wanted...my Heddle Loom #homemade

Designed this in November but whatever reason never had the chance to actually build it. Had a few moments to myself today (finally have a day off). I always wanted a ridged heddle loom but they are pretty expensive, So I build one. LOL 17"L x 12"w x 8"H. Took three 1/4" boards and a little of 1/8" material for the Heddle and Shuttle. Came out pretty good. Oh, and it is completely snap together. The tolerances are really tight so some pieces had to be “Coaxed” into position. But it works really great. Getting the file ready for my store in the next couple of days. Fun little project.

I hope everyone is having a great Saturday!

EDIT: I have added it so my shop: https://www.etsy.com/listing/778899820/small-tabletop-heddle-loom-laser-cut?ref=shop_home_active_1

81 Likes

This is so cool and that took some mad design skills!

6 Likes

Thanks. A. LOT. OF. MATH. LOL

7 Likes

Which is why I would never in my wildest dreams be able to design something like this lol.

3 Likes

Wow wow wow. Very cool design and project!

2 Likes

Haha. I bet you could! I always start from one measurement and the rest is built around that.

5 Likes

Thanks!!!

1 Like

I continue to be impressed with what people are doing with this great tool.

5 Likes

I know right?! I see stuff every day and amazed at the talent of everyone. We really are so lucky to be surrounded by so many creative people.

5 Likes

mind blown…

2 Likes

Looks like with a few mods you could make it wider. But it looks totally awesome.

1 Like

This is so totally cool! As a teenager I learned how to weave gobelin tapestries. This would be so much fun if I could do something like that again. Intricate design!

3 Likes

Thank you! I already have the wider pieces designed it can go to 18” wide. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Aside from your amazing design skills, that looks like so darned much fun to use! Nice work!

3 Likes

I always wanted to do it. I have friends who have floor model looms, I just wanted a small one. :blush:

3 Likes

It is a lot of fun. And pretty fast to weave. Stringing it takes a little time.

1 Like

Wow. (I wish I could think of something more eloquent, but…) Wow.

I was wondering, (knowing nothing of looms): the width of your workpiece is obviously limited by the size of the machine, but is there a limit to length? Could you make a scarf with it, for instance?

(I just happen to know a Dr. Who fan who loves handmade items…)

4 Likes

Thanks! Yes you can make a scarf or anything at large lengths. It rolls up so it will make as much as you put on it. I also have the pieces to make it 18” wide as well.

3 Likes

I am a weaver and spinner. This looks great!
I thought about designing something like this, but now I don’t have to :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Stringing always takes a lot of time. Weaving was my mothers passion with a 60" and 48" Heddle loom with many arrangements for different style weaves. In spending time looking into it I was looking at a computer controlled one that lifted or lowered each thread separately that these days would not be as difficult and as simple as some of the lighted clock designs with the thread moved by a linear magnet and coil with the current able to reverse, :grin:

Among other things made a jacket from the hair combed off of her Samoyed Dog,

7 Likes