Device showing up as a Ring security camera on network access?

So I work in IT, I make it a point to make sure I know every single device on my network, friends get assigned to a guest network that removes their IP holding without 24 hours of reconnecting. So I was a bit shocked and concerned when I noticed that the Glowforge IP was showing up as a Ring security camera. Not 100% sure why it would be doing that but after pausing the access I was finding I couldn’t (as expected) access the Glowforge. I confirmed the MAC addresses were identical in case someone was spoofing my glowforge IP but it was the same exact system. Has anyone else seen this before? I plan on contacting customer service later on today to let them know how it’s showing up, but was wondering what everyone else’s experience was?

1 Like

The WiFi module in the GF is as cheap as it gets, and it’s not unlikely to be the same as used in Ring devices.

3 Likes

This looks like a Ring problem to me.

My Uniquiti wifi AP tries to identify products by MAC and it doesn’t always get it right either.

1 Like

Except I don’t HAVE a Ring or any security cameras on my network

Then what app did you show a screen shot from? I thought that was Ring’s setup process.

Your Glowforge is identified as a Ring camera by what? That’s where the problem is, not with Glowforge.

5 Likes

3 Likes

This was answered above, first reply to your post.

The GF uses a $10 wifi module, they don’t manufacture anything. That same module appears to be used by Ring devices, the first digits of the MAC address identify the hardware. As Ring is far more common than Glowforge, that’s why it’s being identified as such.

3 Likes

You will be notified whenever someone shows up in your Glowforge bed?

1 Like

If you’ve seen it once you’ve seen it a thousand times! :grin::joy::grin::joy::grin::joy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.