Diaper wipes in GF?

So how do you clean it? If it gets dirty the surface can easily be destroyed by the heat the dirt generates.

Can we wipe down the internals with an actual baby? just thinking everyone always says “smooth as a baby’s butt” so that means they are a non-scratch surface, so we use one?

12 Likes

Well just went to the Trotec site and their process involved a cleaning solution and a wipe while the mirror was wet. That surprises me because casual wiping an optical mirror would destroy it. But if that’s what they say I’ll defer.

For an optical mirror such as those in a telescope the process is all about keeping the surface wet and gently swooshing a wipe such as light cotton without chemicals in the bath. The cotton doesn’t really rub across the mirror. Rinsing with 91%+ alchohol afterward and standing the mirror on edge to drain is good too.

2 Likes

Thinking might leave particulate matter “behind”.

6 Likes

I do. I clean the whole damn thing with them. They’re pre-moistened and sitting right next to my 'forge. So when I get the urge to clean it, all I have to do is reach out.

I haven’t read the cleaning instructions for a while, but I’m pretty sure it includes cleaning that mirror.

Edit: It does.

The lens and the mirror are different critters.

1 Like

This then? :slight_smile:

This

2 Likes

Oh, right. I remember looking at that once when I realized the top of the head was actually a lid.

1 Like

I deal with optics like this mirror at work unless the company comes out differently, I agree, avoid touching it with anything for as long as you can. If any of the coating flakes it will need replacement.

Polaroid makes a little bulb that shoots a little puff of air for cleaning lenses…that might work to blow off dust without touching the lens.

(I use one to blow eggs, but I have another one for lenses.)

2 Likes

I would expect the mirrors to be sealed off from the outside during normal operations and not require any cleaning. The lens and windows are meant to be cleaned as per instructions.

3 Likes

Thanks for the insight, I had no idea the optical coatings were so fragile.

Can’t speak from experience on laser mirror coatings. They are first surface like telescope mirrors, and those are very easily scratched so I might just be assuming.

1 Like

I’m getting these. Half the cost of the Zeiss.

Hmmmmm…Unless I should be wary of these being ethanol base instead of isopropyl.

2 Likes

Not sure if ethanol leaves a film (and what percentage is in the wipes), but I know that 99% isopropyl does not. Would have to look at what the Zeiss’ contain.

Zeiss wipes appear to contain mostly water and a bit of isopropyl. From the MSDS: https://www.zeiss.com/content/dam/Microscopy/Downloads/Pdf/MSDS/msds-zeiss-lens-cleaner.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj30p-m2_XWAhWnhlQKHRGrACsQFgg3MAA&usg=AOvVaw3R-0asvdAHy92UvicL718A

Ethanol is extremely volatile, just like isopropyl alcohol, so no it won’t leave anything behind.

The problem with ethenol would be if you tried to make the wipes yourself using denatured alcohol. The denaturing compounds apparently vary from one manufacturer to another and some can leave residue behind.

2 Likes

I would strongly advise against homemade lens wipes of any kind.

2 Likes