Difference in thickness in hardwood

Hi there,

I ordered not so long ago some PG medium basswood and some medium walnut to make a checker board. But here is the thing : the basswood and walnut are not of the same thickness. In addition, the woods are not of the same thickness throughout the plank. Which means when I put my pieces together, not one piece is flush with the other. It’s a not big difference in thickness but it’s enough to stop that project.

I get that medium hardwoods can be of different thickness (though this is surprising), but not on a same plank. Have I known this, I would not have ordered hardwood.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

Thanks.

Anick

This is Basswood (in mm):

This is walnut (in mm):

As I mentionned, it’s not much. But just enough to keep from making a checker board.

That’s not something I’ve encountered in a single sheet (different sheets, sure, because it’s not 1/8" it’s “medium”). It seems like it would be out of spec since the pieces are finished (which means they should be sanded to the same thickness across the entire surface). There can be swelling/shrinking due to humidity differences between where you are and where it was made.
They offer a warranty on PG materials so they should help you out, and maybe have ideas!
Worth posting pictures so they can see what you’re referencing when they get here (“they” being staff)

Posting pictures is a good idea! It’s a good thing that I have a precision digital caliper. It will be helpful. I will take some pictures and post them. Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m so sorry for the delay in my response, it does appear that your Walnut Proofgrade material is out of spec, we want to make this right and get you the material you need for your project. Would you please send a picture of each sheet that is out of spec so we can get your materials replaced as soon as possible.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for answering. Would you like to have pictures with the caliper measurements or just the sheets alone? Also I take it that the Basswood is ok?

Maybe I should email you the pictures. There might be a lot of them :slight_smile:

Pictures of each sheet with the calipers would be great. You can feel free to post them here or email them in if you’d like. The Basswood Proofgrade looked good so just the Walnut. - Thank you in advance!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.