Dirty little windows (auto focus issues)

So Ive seen some conversations about dust build up inside of the little glass windows to the left and right of the main lense, and I understand that they are glued down and not meant to be removed. Im having trouble setting the focus on certain parts of the work area and I would bet good money that the build up and visible chunks of dust sitting inside the window are the culprit. Im well out of warranty and wondering if there would be any real issue with ever so carefully removing those windows -likely by breaking them- and cutting 1/16th inch clear acrylic to replace them with.

Anyone else tried something like this?

Haven’t tried it. Notice the three indents around those windows, it looks like a UV resin to secure them. I would try digging that out to remove them. Good Luck.

4 Likes

It’s possible to tear the whole laser head down.

It’s not simple or easy but it’s possible.

This isn’t an endorsement, I’m not sure if I’d try it myself, but you’re out of warranty so maybe there’s no risk here?

7 Likes

I watched the video and it looks tedious but ultimately not toooo technically difficult. I have an omtech on the way, so once its set up and working i think ill take the plunge on breaking down the head. Thanks for the link!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 29 days. New replies are no longer allowed.