Discussion of August 2018 Update

Nothing came thru any of my browsers (5) can you repost it to youtube or something?

Used the link above and got something, but late…

1 Like

Preset for the Surface? I never thought to do mine since I thought it was magnesium. Hmm.

This one works for me

From the photo that looks like a dice tower. :wink:

That does look like the carousel though…cool. I wasn’t sure they got it. :smile:

The carousel is definitely on the main table. he just gave you a shout-out out for it :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yay! :smile:
(Wish I could see the danged show. It’s bound to be better than “Lake Placid: Legacy” currently playing on the SciFi channel. ) :laughing:

1 Like

Imagine QVC selling a glowforge. It sounds like more of a rip than it is. Personally, I’d say he oversells the easiness and how quickly you can do stuff, but that is his job.

2 Likes

I’m just glad they’re not trying to sell them on QVC - we did that with the Wishblade cutters and it damned near killed us.

2 Likes

Overall, if you take the audio issues out of the equation, I thought they did a good job on the video of showcasing the different capabilities. They did oversell a few things in the comments when users asked questions. Like, what is the print width, and they responded with 12"x20". Also, someone asked about glasswear, and their response was “Yes, it prints on glass.” However, I’m sure the person was asking related to glasses you drink from, and not something that is less than 2".

4 Likes

Great news on the filters. I’d love a little more info (before shipping) on expected costs for replacement filters, whether there are any re-usable components, etc.

• Ponoko discount: a special offer for Glowforge owners on laser-cut parts for mass production

This looks like the thing to get me to try their service too! Thanks.

Watching the replay on Amazon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, totally true. I was referring to them pointing out the more complicated things and then talking about how there are all sorts of software tools they can use. They did not explicitly link the two, but someone could walk away from the video thinking all I need is powerpoint and I can make a dollhouse.

I give Dan credit for pointing out that hand stitching a briefcase may take longer than a weekend, but he explained all the custom features on it and then said it was a weekend project. I just started experimenting with hole shapes and sizes for leather and it’ll take me more than a weekend to create a library of stitch holes with spacing. I have doubts I’ll ever achieve your level of skill in finishing, but I aspire (more than even a month I’m thinking.)

It is easy for many things. I also think a lot of people could do a lot more if they approached what they wanted to do differently. But for other things, cool things, there is a learning curve and a lot of frustration.

2 Likes

Yes please! This info would be very welcome.

2 Likes

Hi @dan Good to hear progress on the air filter, but given the delays in gaining international approvals for the GF, will the filter need similar approval and so international customers should expect similar delays?

It was terrifying but fun! Dimpy, my co-host, was awesome for keeping me grounded, and the Glowforge team was amazing at making sure all the right stuff was at hand. It was a hoot.

Yes, we’re down to 5 business days now.

We continue to work on delivering all of our original features. Our preorder customers heard updates on this for literally years (ouch) but we removed them from the site so that new customers didn’t need any additional explanation.

No, and it’s always a possibility. We’re doing everything we can to hit our estimates, but there are always dozens of things that could go wrong at any moment. We do our best to stay ahead of them.

I’m not sure! I’d shoot a note to their support and check.

6 Likes

Regarding the livestream, I have multiple apologies:

• The link they gave us in advance never worked; they wound up posting it to a different link
  • I’m sure I got some of the details of the projects I showed wrong
  • It took 15 min before someone managed to get me offstage to fix my mic
    I’m so sorry to all the listeners! (And there were a lot - apparently many tens of thousands of folks tuned it; a link was on the amazon.com homepage for an hour!)

Our estimates includes that - but there’s more risk to international dates than domestic, as there’s more complexity there.

9 Likes

Reading about the new Spotlight program with my newly post-surgical ankle swathed in bandages and elevated ”above heart height” in the background is making me sad. :cry:

But yay for everything else!

6 Likes

Will a video be posted later for those of us who didn’t see it?

3 Likes

Why sad?

I believe it’s already up on the product page. For some reason, you have to scroll down to ‘products for summer fun’! It’s there in a little preview box.

https://www.amazon.com/Glowforge-Plus-Laser-Printer-Beautiful/dp/B07DD4W8DY/

2 Likes