Discussion of August 2018 Update

Because I don’t know when I’ll be recovered enough to make stuff again, and I’m all out of store credit! :cry:

3 Likes

He had a very sad day…

11 Likes

did you steal something from him?!?!

2 Likes

Two things :rofl:

17 Likes

The Amazon stream was very good. You managed to do so much in so little time. Too bad about the links getting slow to be fixed, and the audio.

Very well organized to be able to print so many things and have them all work out without a hitch. Excellent. Would buy again!

I would have answered a few more of the questions, but I didn’t want to preempt Bailey and the official line.

5 Likes

I saw several comments from folks saying the Livestream got them off the fence and made the decision to buy, so I’m hoping Glowforge will get a lot of business from it.

4 Likes

Ah. First, my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Second, it doesn’t have to be a new project! Feel free to post something that you made already.

2 Likes

Bailey told me afterwards how much she appreciated knowledgeable folks in the chat helping her with answers, so thank you from all of us!

5 Likes

No Update on international ordering then :frowning:

2 Likes

I’m curious if the camera update is working its way towards better alignment?

Regarding the Spotlight, are there requirements and/or bonus points if there is a “How To”? Or is just a teaser picture needed?

I’ve recently found a whole new way to ‘art’… a combo painting/laser project that I’m smoothing out my methodology on… I’m excited about the Spotlight… I would also love to have that job… checking out what other folks have made. There are SO many awesome projects, it would be so hard to pick!

1 Like

A few more questions, @dan:

• Do you have a retail price for the filter yet?
  • Do you have any comment on the recent Glowforge fire that was reported on social media? What kind of information can you glean from Glowforge’s logs of the print job that resulted in the incident? Who owns that data? What are Glowforge’s policies if the user requests that data? If the user’s landlord or insurance company requests it?
1 Like

I checked, and the coupon is for the cutting portion of the price, not the material costs. If, for example, you’re cutting a bunch of Christmas ornaments out of bamboo, the making cost (based on laser time) will be reduced, but the sheet of material its made out of will still be the full listed price.

8 Likes

Aww, nuts…

7 Likes

@dan any chance of some more details for intentional customers? My shipment estimate date is exactly 3 years after my order date. (October 15th Australia) any insights into the process you are going through for approvals and the progress being made would be great as my order has been delayed over 6 times over the years by multiple months at a time. I have zero reason to believe the latest estimate and over the last 6 months haven’t gotten anything more than we are working on government approvals. international customers have invested more than local customers with increased shipping costs and exchange rates and at this stage it almost feels like we have been forgotten about. i know that’s surly not the case but its not hard to feel that way. Any assurances or dare i say a list of the countries you are having trouble with and where you are at with them would be amazing. i can’t shake the feeling that after waiting 3 years im going to get a message saying sorry we cant ship to your country…

3 Likes

I’m not saying this out of malice or frustration (thought I will admit, I am a little bit frustrated by now) but I think it would be advantageous for Glowforge that all the people from countries who have complicated regulations (like Canada it would seem) would just cancel their order. Less work to meet the regulations, less broken promises, less bad publicity. And I have a sunken feeling that our orders will be postponed yet again.

I hope I’m wrong in thinking that, but I know it would be less complicated for them not to have to deal with this. It has to be a thorn in their side.

2 Likes

The problem with that is that my order in Canadian funds at the time was 7700ish dollars.

Converting my original invoice back to the current dollar value comes to 7000. So a 700 dollar loss.

Add that to the fact that there are no other lasers with a form factor that will work in my space. I have no other option if I want my business to grow the way I want it to.

1 Like

The broken promises will still exist. Canceling the order doesn’t mean the promise was met. And they have an already sunk cost of trying to meet the regulations, so that’s not a positive for GF. Neither is losing an entire market (especially larger ones like Canada). Maybe less bad publicity? But maybe not. Canceling an entire country, especially one of the larger markets, will probably not be any less bad than still having outstanding orders from that country.

2 Likes

Isn’t just driving to the border an option? Even if it was an overnight trip? Surely has to be better than waiting.

3 Likes

I scrolled through the page, but can’t seem to find the recording of the livestream! I’m sure you did great! Thanks for the updates, can’t wait to try out the new stuff and get my filter!

1 Like

I would then run into warranty issues. I forgot where I read it but I believe the warranty for those that drove theirs across the border is not as easy to take advantage of. I couldnt imagine having to take time off work, drive the 7+ hours to the border and then bring it back only to find out I’m out of luck because my glowforge is in a country that can’t be shipped to.