Discussion of August 2018 Update

We’re hard at work on it, but we don’t have forecasted ship dates for software features.

Very, very happy with my Pro :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Me too…

9 Likes

Anything on how it will work for shipping in North America? I know I can just order stuff from across the border from other suppliers and I get it with no issues at all through either UPS, USPS(which switches to Canada Post at the border) or Fedex.

Will this most unique and defining feature of the Pro model ever ship?

I’m going to put my money on “yes”. :smile:

5 Likes

Well I’ve already put money on that it will.

5 Likes

I’m still here. I’ve been pretty happy with Glowforge all along. With an understanding of the intent of the folks building my wonder-laser, I’ve been pretty happy with their efforts and their priorities considering actual limits in resources, time, and well… reality, I’ve been very happy.
I’ve been playing along since the initial month-long campaign.
I waited years. I had my first machine replaced due to a bug.
I have had miscuts.
But all in all, every day and all the time, I have been impressed with both the Glowforge and the people who brought it to me.
Thanks @dan and @staff for your years of dedicated creativity and problem solving.

14 Likes

We pretty much have a Glowforge Plus, I know I expected much more extensive use of my Forge using the pass through slot. I wouldn’t mind as much… if my warranty didn’t start ticking until I could use the full features associated with the advertised Pro unit. As a result I expect my warranty will expire before I use the Glowforge Pro extensively enough to ensure it doesn’t need a warranty.

I would imagine that a QR code like band printed all along each edge of the Passthrough material sold by the Glowforge store would allow for the alignment issues to be mitigated atleast from a camera perspective. Now getting the software to understand where to start and stop is probably the harder part.

In order to address that software challenge the team could design a separate workflow where we the users segment our files into 10 inch segments and upload them sequentially into one instance in the Glowforge print interface.

1 Like

I’m confused by this. The only thing you’re missing is the software to help with alignment on the passthrough. The passthrough itself is just a hole. In other words, you should be able to do everything you need to do to test your machine while under warranty. When they update the software, nothing will change with your hardware. And if they happen to somehow bork your hardware with the software update, I’d think GF would step up to the plate and repair it. You certainly wouldn’t be alone if it did occur.

3 Likes

Hi ChristyM, Sorry about the confusion, I just meant I expected to use the Glowforge much more extensively with a simplified workflow associated with pass through alignment. Said extensive use it is more likely to reveal warranty issues, so by the time I start using the pass through extensively I expect my warranty will be gone :frowning:

2 Likes

Gotcha. Hopefully you can find lots of uses without the pass through while you wait!

@dan, it’s a little over two weeks since you announced that air filters were being produced at the factory for testing, and I know that many customers have delivery estimates of one month from today. Can you update us on the progress of testing and/or production?

5 Likes

Closing since the September thread is open.