Discussion of December update

Sounds like the changes were made in the cloud processing end, if so, no action on our end is needed. But if it also involves an update to your GF, it should do so during the next power-cycling, before calibration. This of course means that calibration will be delayed, so patience is a good thing here. If you bail during the update, it will try again the next power up requiring the same wait.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought too when I saw the photo.

1 Like

Oversized Proofgrade for Pro units is a great idea. But I wonder about the shipping costs for that.

Any words or thoughts on the catalog? How often will it be updated? Are there new projects in the works?

2 Likes

My shipping date has rolled over another month too… February was looming so much I could almost smell the proofgrade burning… now March… UGH!

I guess I just got a little excited with this, but only because it was right after his explanation here:

Also followed by this, which leads me to believe there are owners who do have perfect alignment (which makes me green with jealous rage)

I read it as they were sending out the personalized updates that each of our machines had been evaluated for, meaning it was going to be spot on. You’ve always been very open minded when these updates are published, so I appreciate you helping to ground me :rofl: Oh well if it isn’t perfect, yet. I knew what I signed up for when requesting my machine before it was fully ready!

@dwardio That’s what I thought. I’m not familiar with cloud processing and software, but as I said earlier in my post, I thought maybe if they were rolling out our camera alignment updates, that would be machine specific rather than a generalized improvement on camera tech. Still a little curious for some clarification on this update, but meh, I’m sure when my specific update rolls out, my bed image won’t look like it’s leaning against a wall after a night of drinking :wink:

3 Likes

I, personally, would have liked to hear about the filter and updates to that. Otherwize thank you for the awesome update post. :smiley:

edit: I saw the comment about air filters after I wrote this.

Oversized Proofgrade for Pro units is a great idea. But I wonder about the shipping costs for that.

Let’s hope the “free shipping on orders over $100” applies. Larger sheets cost a lot less per square foot, and I’d be happy to order large batches. It’s not like the material sits unused.

1 Like

I hope the $100 free shipping applies, too. I just checked and the UPS Ground shipping cost (from Tennessee to California) for a single 48 x 20 sheet of PG is almost $30

I did a scan but didn’t see any mention of when Pro Shields will go out to existing Pros? I would like to not wear the glasses during 55 minute engraves.

1 Like

No, they haven’t said yet. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Guys! @dan so I hear some people have lost their shipping estimates. I emailed GF straight away about mine, for some time it had march 29th then 28th which I understand give or take a day or so, But when I checked, it jumped from 29th march to may 9th…What???
I genuinely feel I am chasing dates, everytime I get close to the dates stated within a couple of months BANG moves away, so I get close to it again…BANG gone again. I don’t think Ill be getting mine next year, I have a feeling Ill be asking for a refund if it continues next year because I don’t know how long this can go on for :frowning:

1 Like

I had this happen to me , I got an email 5 days later saying they had some email issues and that they resent my shipping notification , which I did receive. Now just waiting on notification for UPS that it’s actually shipped…

1 Like

The shipping dates change because they’re estimates based on whatever factors Glowforge is using to determine when you’re likely to receive your email. I assume the current speed of production, materials on hand versus materials needed for production, repair and replacement rates, etc. all contribute to determining these estimates. When production speeds up, dates move ahead. When there’s an issue that slows production, dates move back. This means your date can and will change, sometimes later and sometimes earlier. There’s no new answer to give on this situation, so you shouldn’t expect anything other than the “same, useless, answer.” Your shipping date is a prediction. It’s not a promise. They don’t and can’t know if they’ll be able to get to your order by March or April. They estimate, based on current info, and you get a date. When January and February roll around, they’ll have a better idea of what will happen in March and April. Complaining about no new answers, when they can’t possibly give a different answer, doesn’t help. We all want our Glowforges to get to us sooner. We all want to know when that date is. No one has that answer for us, especially months earlier than your expected “shipping” date.

2 Likes

I read it pretty much the same way. Ran and put a sheet o proofgrade in and threw a design in the bottom corner to see how accurate it would be. Still about a 1/4 of an inch off :frowning_face: . did a quick clean to make sure everyting was seated right, still no change. Oh, well, here’s hoping it comes soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shipping date has slipped again after coming within a week of the notification of the six week window! Now looking at mid-February delivery.
Hopefully this is just a way to avoid holiday shipping increased UPS costs.
This update did not have last months happy-talk about being ahead of schedule, but did mention the difficulties of holiday shipping.
This either means that they are behind schedule, again, and the holiday shipping is just another excuse, or they are running low on funds and cannot afford increased holiday shipping.
Nowhere near cancelling, no longer miss/need the money, but am very tired of the weekly and monthly emotional whiplash.
At this point I feel like the victim of an abusive Turkish ice-cream vendor.
Accepting being jerked around is the new normal.
:neutral_face::raised_back_of_hand::icecream:

I was so busy cranking cuts out last night I missed the update. I did notice something off, or in this case on when I removed the wood to take out the cut pieces. When I put it back in the exact same spot and then looked at my screen the cuts lined up perfectly, and the cuts were right in the corner. I thought odd but didn’t have time to explore. Kudos to the a Glowforge team and fingers crossed everyone gets the success I saw with my machine… now to stop drooling over the upsized proofgrade and dreaming of automagic passthrough.

4 Likes

Oh man, as annoying as those guys are, Turkish Icecream is the best.

I just get my wife to order it… that way we never have to go through the charade… she speaks a high dialect and most of them are too afraid to get on the wrong side of someone who might have friends in high places.

2 Likes

It’s been updated already.

Some happen on refresh, some happen after a print, and a few happen when you boot up the machine.

We’ve done a lot of work to ensure that you can shut it off whenever you want without issue.

Nothing new to announce. We usually don’t announce software features until they’re imminent or done, though.

This is exactly correct

…but unfortunately this is not yet correct for everyone. There are still factors we haven’t compensated for - like if your tray is sitting on a bit of schmutz, the image will be too close to the camera, and the alignment will be off as a result.

I don’t have a date for that for you yet.

Yes - we had five days’ worth of shipping emails get held up. The “notify on” date disappeared because our system thought you’d been notified. We got those properly resent.

Overall we’re pretty far ahead of where we said we’d be when we switched to individualized dates - but that’s academic for most readers, since some folks’ dates are moving in and others are moving out, depending on details of supply chain, logistics, etc. Internally we’re really happy that the average is “moving in” but it’s small comfort to those who moved out.

Agree they’re annoying, and agree they’re the best!

4 Likes

How is y’all’s visual alignment after the update?

I never did a “before” test because I have only had my Pro for a couple of weeks, but this is what I see currently.

The test pattern is 1" squares. On the far left side where alignment is at its worst, it looks like I have about 1/8" of error. The rightmost ~2/3 of the area is much better.

With this level of accuracy it seems like I should be able to place art in unused areas of the material without worrying too much, as long as I give at least 1/8" margin for error. Only the very center seems accurate enough to do something requiring greater accuracy, like adding cuts to an existing object.

Looks like jigs and low-power cut markings aren’t out of style quite yet, but this seems pretty usable for placement of new projects, and that is by far my most common task. Hopefully they will continue to improve this feature.

6 Likes