Discussion of December update

I was so busy cranking cuts out last night I missed the update. I did notice something off, or in this case on when I removed the wood to take out the cut pieces. When I put it back in the exact same spot and then looked at my screen the cuts lined up perfectly, and the cuts were right in the corner. I thought odd but didn’t have time to explore. Kudos to the a Glowforge team and fingers crossed everyone gets the success I saw with my machine… now to stop drooling over the upsized proofgrade and dreaming of automagic passthrough.

4 Likes

Oh man, as annoying as those guys are, Turkish Icecream is the best.

I just get my wife to order it… that way we never have to go through the charade… she speaks a high dialect and most of them are too afraid to get on the wrong side of someone who might have friends in high places.

2 Likes

It’s been updated already.

Some happen on refresh, some happen after a print, and a few happen when you boot up the machine.

We’ve done a lot of work to ensure that you can shut it off whenever you want without issue.

Nothing new to announce. We usually don’t announce software features until they’re imminent or done, though.

This is exactly correct

…but unfortunately this is not yet correct for everyone. There are still factors we haven’t compensated for - like if your tray is sitting on a bit of schmutz, the image will be too close to the camera, and the alignment will be off as a result.

I don’t have a date for that for you yet.

Yes - we had five days’ worth of shipping emails get held up. The “notify on” date disappeared because our system thought you’d been notified. We got those properly resent.

Overall we’re pretty far ahead of where we said we’d be when we switched to individualized dates - but that’s academic for most readers, since some folks’ dates are moving in and others are moving out, depending on details of supply chain, logistics, etc. Internally we’re really happy that the average is “moving in” but it’s small comfort to those who moved out.

Agree they’re annoying, and agree they’re the best!

4 Likes

How is y’all’s visual alignment after the update?

I never did a “before” test because I have only had my Pro for a couple of weeks, but this is what I see currently.

The test pattern is 1" squares. On the far left side where alignment is at its worst, it looks like I have about 1/8" of error. The rightmost ~2/3 of the area is much better.

With this level of accuracy it seems like I should be able to place art in unused areas of the material without worrying too much, as long as I give at least 1/8" margin for error. Only the very center seems accurate enough to do something requiring greater accuracy, like adding cuts to an existing object.

Looks like jigs and low-power cut markings aren’t out of style quite yet, but this seems pretty usable for placement of new projects, and that is by far my most common task. Hopefully they will continue to improve this feature.

6 Likes

If there are supply chain issues how can anyone be moving ahead without sacrificing an equal or greater number of folks that are “ahead” in the line?

I think @dan explained this in the update.

It may be that some Pro orders have been slipping out while Basics are pulling in. But the overall numbers mean they are delivering faster than they had expected.

“Supply chain issues” have so far (apparently) not idled the factory—just shifted product mix.

I haven’t seen any update on international certification is this still in the process? I have noticed mine to is pushed back a month

Oh Boy…the large ProofGrade…the pass through slot…Hot Diggity Dog!

2 Likes

Update is they’re still working on it. Reasonable conjecture is that it is turning out to be harder than they expected. I expect more difficulties going forward too. It’s just harder for a small company with a product that differs from other products in their category.

I’m glad GlowForge can celebrate!!! My delivery date keeps getting pushed farther and farther away while Dan says their in record production. It’s like a carrot tied to a stick. I just never seem to get close enough to get it. I had plans of making Christmas gifts this year and I see my date getting pushed farther and farther away, and now my email date has been pushed back beyond Christmas. I am so close to say screw this give me a refund. Dan I am fastly loosing faith in you and the company.

My expected ship date moved CLOSER!!!

7 Likes

Oof… twice now, I’ve been just one day (!) from shipping, and I log in the night before the ship date to find it pushed out some number of days. It’s a very peculiar form of torture, I tell ya! :confounded: I’m now pushed back to the 19th (after 7th, 12th, and13th)… Was hoping to have it in time to make Christmas presents, but now I’m just crossing my fingers that it gets out in 2017.

2 Likes

BTW, I hope that doesn’t come across sounding bitter or bilious… I get that stuff happens and everyone is doing their best. It’s more like commiserating with my fellow “waiters.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Exactly, and also sometimes kept us from overproducing even more than we would have otherwise.

1 Like

Do appreciate the open communications and updates, Dan.

Also, I just recently turned an officemate into a Glowforge buyer! Trouble is, I’m not sure if he remembered to use my referral link. I checked my referral page today and didn’t see anything. He was kicking himself wondering if he did something wrong. Is there any way to get that tacked on retroactively?

@dan. Monthyly updates need to start including updates on software interface as well.

When can we expect the following?

1. Delivery of an updated user manual
  2. Delivery of interface guides for the app UI
  3. Delivery of list of known issues and delivery dates for the UI
  4. Delivery of demonstrated features from kickstarter video (Like a print of the streets of Seattle)
  5. Delivery of instructions on how to use the pass through feature for the Pro

It deeply disappoints me to learn that after 2 years there has been zero product updates on the .app UI, resulting in the sheer quantity of questions, guesses and misinformation that is being created on the facebook and GF forums about why and how certain behaviors exist in use of the UI.

I wish you had been more transparent about where you were at with the interface. It would have significantly influenced my decision to move forward with the product.

We post them here (and in the UI itself).

We don’t announce future software delivery dates; we just let folks know when the work’s done.

1 Like

Did you read what you wrote? You are asking for more transparency and saying that if there were more transparency you might not be here? Not exactly an incentive for the company.

1 Like

Got the golden email 10 days ago, thought I had 3 to six weeks to sign up for UPS My Choice and make a bench for the machine. Then last evening this huge box came to my door yesterday. My wife thought I bought a garage fridge. :sunglasses:

Shipping can be super fast, even in December. Be ready.

3 Likes

Where are you located?