Discussion of Ear Savers: 800,000 Ears In

Agreed. No mailing option. Please put back.

I have been buying acrylic? Was I suppose to enter a promo code to get the 20% off? I just assumed GF reduced their prices during this time. Please advise.

The promo code is in the original FAQ on the Glowforge ear savers page. Itā€™s a one-time use code, so you can still get a discount on your next order and you havenā€™t missed out on anything. :slight_smile:

Just got back from delivering my first couple packages of ear hooks to people that GF matched me up with, recipients were extremely grateful.

5 Likes

Impressive! Awesome! Looking forward to getting geared upā€¦got my new inline duct fan and first small quantity cuts and it sucksā€¦in the good way. :wink:

3 Likes

A few questions/thoughtsā€“

1. Do you ā€“ GF folks-- want us to log somewhere what earsavers weā€™ve donated outside of the matchmaking process you facilitate? Iā€™ve been printing sheets at a time that are going to hospitals here in London, UK where I am. Iā€™d be happy to fill out a form and let you know how many have gone where to be counted in the larger effort.

2. Any idea if there are any orders in UK (or elsewhere in Europe)? I originally got matched with someone in CA, and that wasnā€™t going to be realistic to mail to from London with any speed or ease-- staff was responsive and agreed that wasnā€™t an appropriate match. But Iā€™m unsure if there might be any matches coming in the UK (I could mail elsewhere in the UK more easily that I can access international mailing). Iā€™m actively sewing items for NHS donation otherwise, so am part of many facebook groups across the UK who are connected to hospitals requesting supplies-- but Iā€™ve been hesitant to really push the request form, not knowing if there are other GF or laser folks around this area signing up. I donā€™t want to induce more demand than there is supply.

3. Whatā€™s evolved in the last month in the sewing donation groups is that there will be a big group that, say, across the UK, and then local groups emerge to coordinate among efforts and needs in different communities. Itā€™s been very helpful to become connected to others and organize for what is needed locally, where to get supplies, etc. Until now I havenā€™t had a huge need to be connected to other GF owners in a geographic-specific way, but for this effort it feels like it could be helpful-- or maybe thatā€™s relevant just for us who are overseas. (Iā€™m American and just moved to UK last year, bringing my GF along of course!). Might that happen in discussion threads? Iā€™d love to know who else might be in my region and part of this effort so we can connect about where theyā€™re going to, where the local/regional need is, where weā€™re sourcing supplies (again, an issue maybe just for people not in the US), etc.

3 Likes

It would be a good idea for GF to match on country. I picked up an order for a Canadian healthcare facility. Iā€™m in CT - about an 8 hour drive from the Ontario location the earsaverā€™s were going to. The package spent most of a week (USPS priority mail) getting to the border in NY. Then another 9 days awaiting customs clearance just to get out of NY State.

I havenā€™t had any US bound shipments take more than 3 days to Houston or SanFran.

1 Like

not only that, shipping across the border is significantly more expensive than inside the border.

I just tried some of the .030 Rowmark general purpose acrylic from Johnson Plastics and it seems fantastic, super flexible and cuts fast. Great tip, thank you!

I did this too, I made a bunch that I have donated locally. Have you had any takers? Just wondering, Iā€™ve had a few deliveries but they donā€™t even stop long enough to look at it. And none wearing masks, although if I was just driving around by myself all day, I guess I wouldnā€™t wear one either.

1 Like

I didnā€™t mind that as much as the ridiculous delays. I gave them the tracking number so they knew it was on its way and could follow its progress. But it was disappointing.

Tomorrow will be the first opportunityā€¦ expecting 2 deliveries. In NYS everyone has to wear a mask if theyā€™re out, so weā€™ll see. I do get your point about them being too busy to stop and see. Last December every delivery guy received a laser-made keychain, so they may actually pay a little attentionā€¦

Hi Amanda! Unfortunately we donā€™t have a way to self-report ear savers made, but thatā€™s OK - what matters is the people youā€™re helping!

For international, it would be amazing if you could post your willingness to print at:

thatā€™s where weā€™re sending folks who are looking for international ear saver donations.

Right now, weā€™re only supporting US-to-US matches, and we have more than our hands full with that.

1 Like

I signed up at the very beginning, but havenā€™t seen a single request from the network. Iā€™m in Portland, Oregon. Iā€™ve been making a bunch for the local network Iā€™m apart of making masks, shields, and ear savers. Just thought it strange Iā€™ve not seen any requests from this network, so I thought Iā€™d check here.

2 Likes

Iā€™m in Silvertonā€¦also havenā€™t seen any requests.

2 Likes

Thanks @dan, for that link and infoā€¦ Maybe the link you provided could be added to the ā€œHelp Printā€ form-- I just checked and itā€™s not there. I saw that it is linked on the ā€œGet Earsaversā€ form for requestors.

Iā€™ve been including the downloadable insert sheet from GF which includes reorder info; from here on out I can just crop and adjust that form so it still includes the photos of how to wear them and legal disclaimer, but not the reorder address.

And, Iā€™m thinking I should stop printing the earsavers that have the reorder website scored onto them-- Iā€™m thinking maybe I replace with makecovidstop.org, since they can then navigate to a request form? Iā€™m trying to figure out the easiest place to direct the hospitals.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been matched other than locally (10-50 miles) since the form change?

Prior to the change, I was matched over a dozen times and sent packages from coast to coast, but since the change Iā€™ve only had a single (local) match. I submitted a support ticket via email, but wanted to check if this was more than an n-of-1 problem.

@dan indicated that they were going to go back to the old form, but as of 4/5, this hasnā€™t happened. Did I miss a memo?

So much acrylic, so few matchesā€¦ ĀÆ\(惄)/ĀÆ

Iā€™m in West Linn, have been making & donating through folks I know locally in healthcareā€¦havenā€™t gotten matched through Glowforge eitherā€¦

2 Likes

All of my matches have been in other areas of the country.

I second that. Iā€™d like to see the ā€œIā€™ll shipā€ option back.

Weā€™ll have about 10,000 ready to ship by the end of the day. Been waiting on more matches, and weā€™re willing to ship anywhere in the country, not just local.

Update: We got a coupe of matches for 4000 pieces via Glowforge and 1100 via other means which are shipping today. Weā€™ve currently got 6000 more ready to ship.

2 Likes