Discussion of Ear Savers: 800,000 Ears In

Dan, are we going to get the ship option back?

My county has a centralized collection and distribution system that covers all government agencies and primary healthcare facilities. I am in direct contact with the coordinator.

I found them by calling our central fire service administration, who referred me.

Be very careful what you wish forā€¦ I was just matched with 5 local facilities for 700 savers. :smiley:

2 Likes

I just got matched! Yay! Sending only 10, but itā€™s a start.

2 Likes

whats the code? i just saw this today

I canā€™t remember off the top of my headā€¦itā€™s in the FAQ on the Glowforge page for people making earsavers.

The FedEx guy took one of the earsavers off the front door sign when dropping off my proofgrade order. Yeah!

7 Likes

I believe there are a number of requests that didnā€™t come through with valid addresses. Iā€™d fill out the form again. When you enter your address, be sure to choose an auto-complete from the drop down:

that ensures we get an address that we can match against!

Great suggestion.

I believe the option to ship is back!
I will get the typo fixed. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks i will check

EARSAVERSACRYLIC is the code.

(Funny that it wouldnā€™t let me just post the code since itā€™s an incomplete sentance.)

It does not match my address so I used another that said Tampa instead of Temple Terrace,

thank you

So where are the 8.5M requests centered? Most in USA? Can you filter out the ones from Canada and send a blanket request to GF Owners in Canada? Send UK ones to GF Owners in the UK.

I have seen only one match so far for Canada. Where are the rest? Many of my other deliveries were from outside of GF contacts.

Materials are also avaialble from Trotec. I get lots of acrylic locally and also from local suppliers. GF is too slow to react for some orders.

I went back to read my matching email for GF and here is a section I did not think was necessary

WHY do I have to re-apply after each request has been matched. This should be automatically carried on. So here I am waiting for more requests and you want me to re-apply each time. I am sure many others are wondering why they are not getting requests becasue of this.
I will put my name in the hat again. Please leave it there until I request otherwise.
GF has done a disservice for those who want to help constantlyā€¦Please make the changes asap.

Because most peopleā€™s capacity changes over time. Perhaps you have materials for 3,000 earsavers & you sign up and get matched for all 3,000. Now do you have 0 capacity or should GF assume you have gotten more material and match you to another 3,000? What if you only got more material for another 1,000? Now you have to tell the recipient you canā€™t do them all so theyā€™ll have to re-ask for the other 2,000.

Iā€™ve got 200 sheets of acrylic coming in today. But Iā€™ve run through my supplierā€™s capacity of my preferred material so Iā€™m going to have to substitute and see if that works. If so Iā€™ll keep going but right now I canā€™t commit after the next 18,000 earsavers. Heck Iā€™m only at 10,000 now and itā€™s consuming most of my free time, maybe Iā€™ll want a break :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually Iā€™ve got to finish up about 5,000 more this week and then take a break because Iā€™ll be heading out of state for a week. If GF kept matching me, someone is going to have to wait who might be able to get them from someone else quicker. I donā€™t know about other folks but when I get that match I feel like Iā€™m under the gun to get it out as fast as possible so theyā€™re not suffering any longer.

8 Likes

I had the same questionā€¦but, your answer makes perfect sense. Sometimes it takes a second set of eyes/ears to recognize the most simple and correct response.

3 Likes

Becasue I am in Canada, I have only seen 1 request from my region. I am sure there are others in nearby provinces that can be helped as well. I have capacity. I would rather be asked multiple times and have the opportunity to say I am at capacity. Until then, keep the requests coming.

James, you are a rockstar for your contributions already. I have only just begun but the requests and matching certainly have to be better organized at GF. I sure they know this.

Thanks for your awesome work. I hope to do alot more here as well.

Cheers,

Ummmā€¦I donā€™t know? Why ask me?

Did you miss that thereā€™s a more specific place for international requests over on makecovidstop.org? They canā€™t match you if no one requests earsavers from your country. You might have better luck offering your availability on the international-specific forum.

I did post over on that forum earlier than I did here on GF Community.
There was a request out of Toronto that went unattended for a while. I posted to that thread and made one in general.