Discussion of (early!) July update

The Trotec website is slower than a 15 year old basset hound.

For example:

Trotec
Material: Solid Wood Maple 11.75" x 3.9" - 3/16" (pack of 20)
Surface area: 48.825 sq in * 20 = 916.5 sq in
Cost: $148.39 CAD + GST = $155.81
Shipping: Included (>$100)

Inventables
Material: 6" × 12" × 1/8" Hard Maple (singles)
Surface area: 72 sq in * 20 = 1440 sq in
Cost: $49.80 USD
Shipping: $39.74 USD
Converted: $89.54 USD * 1.33 CAD = $119.09 + GST = $125.04 CAD

To summarize:

• Trotec wood is 50% thicker, but offers a smaller laserable surface area.
  • That was priced for USPS shipping, but if you go for UPS courier it can add up to the same price.
  • Inventables’ pricing has dropped on a number of common woods in recent months, by as much as 50%.
10 Likes

I see what you did there, and I like it!

6 Likes

cheers, thanks! i’m honestly quite surprised to see that they charge so much! might be worthwhile to keep them in mind, i suppose, but.

also, 11.75 x 3.9? what a strange size…

1 Like

A shade less than 300x100mm. Perhaps by the kerf if they cut up larger boards with a saw. You would think Trotec would use a laser though.

2 Likes

for sure.

i wasn’t really referring to the specific numbers so much as the general shape (long, narrow rectangle); i’d figure the most popular pieces would be larger things for projects or that you could cut many things from. i suppose the rectangle is a good size if you wanted, say, a 100x100 square engraved, though.

That’s cool. Got a rough ETA on draftwood and/or florescent acrylic availability?

2 Likes

I’m honored! Can’t wait to try this and start experimenting!

2 Likes

I second being able to use old software, if we choose. While not the exact same situation, I like being able to continue using the old “build” of firmware and software on my Form 2 while I am working on a given project, since changes to either can change how I prepare files or how they come out. “Known good” and all that.

2 Likes

Literally made me LOL which received some strange looks from co-workers! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

No kidding. My son and I were browsing a couple weeks ago and we simply had to stop because it was too painful to keep going.

1 Like

They also sell a 23.5*11.75 size in most of their hardwoods for a very similar price when calculated on a sq in basis.

3 Likes

good to know; i assume you mean a similar price to the $/in2 for their weird board, right, not in comparison to shipping from the states?

Yes the actual product.

Solid Wood Maple 23.5" x 11.75" - 3/16"
In stock

$34.32
Provincial and Federal Sales taxes will be added to the order total in accordance with Provincial sales tax requirements.

1 Like

thanks, man. uff da, that’s more than i was hoping. :sob:

Solid Wood Maple 23.5" x 11.75" - 3/16" (singles)
Surface: 276.125 sq in
Cost: $34.32 + GST = $36.04
Cost / Sq Inch = $0.1305

– vs. –

Solid Wood Maple 11.75" x 3.9" - 3/16" (pack of 20)
Surface: 48.825 sq in
Cost per board: $155.81 / 20 = $7.79
Cost / Sq in = $0.1596

So yeah, pretty close to the same.

Yeah, not sure why the smaller sizes either, but keep in mind that the Glowforge can only fit up to 20.4 x 18.0" (and mar 11.5" of the 18.0")… so these larger boards will have to be cut down slightly in order to fit. I guess some of it depends on convenience of pulling one off a stack, too.

3 Likes

I found some nice big pieces of solid wood at a wood shop that supplies instrument makers. You should try calling around and seeing what’s available in your area. Even their off cuts and rejects will be great for what we need.

3 Likes

How can I “like” this one 20 times? Perfect reference…

1 Like

Relevant:

24 Likes

it’s a great point, and i 100% plan to / hope to; it’s just nice to have a backup if there’s a special thing you absolutely need hey

Question: Was this update emailed out to purchasers?

I have added hello@glowforge.com to my contacts list (a couple days prior to this update going up here). I have never received any emails beyond the original “we got your order” one back in 2015 from the hello@ email address. I’ve never seen a letter from Dan, or any updates at all without coming here.