Discussion of February update

I want the camera to be working accurately and pass through and doubled sided, so I guess I need the software to be out of beta.

3 Likes

That could be a while… It could be a year based on the release pace so far. Maybe longer. And I think there’s at least a small chance they may be forced to abandon some of the promised features, too.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see how it goes if they do abandon promised features.
‘Replacement Tube-gate’ might pale next to it

2 Likes

In the not too distant future all the pre-order customers (apart from me) will have accepted delivery of their machine with the features missing. They will have no comeback if the features are never delivered.

Doubt that. Having to send the machine back for tube replacement meant the total cost of ownership was simply too high. So people simply wouldn’t buy the thing. GF destroyed their business model. It’s not that people complained, it’s that it became obvious nobody was going to buy units if every two years you had to send it back and pay for, and deal with the hassle of, shipping. There are quite a few people happy with the current feature set to keep machines selling. They’d lose sales, but it won’t kill them.

1 Like

Perhaps so… but if Glowforge is not thinking about the strength of their Brand then they might not be around long enough for that to be a concern.

I think these initial machine offerings were as much about getting the Glowforge name out there as it was about getting us to BETA test production units. If they underdeliver then that could backfire

2 Likes

Indeed!

Outcry is probably linked to how torturous the workarounds may be.

If they bail out on their promise to do image recognition on phones and other gadgets, I think they’ll get off the hook easy because they can meet the same goals while asking little additional work of the user.

If they say, “sorry Pro users automagical pass-through alignment ain’t ever gonna happen,” or, “camera alignment is as good as it will ever get” … well… get out the popcorn.

4 Likes

We have a tracker we refer to constantly about what we’ve said we’re doing vs. what we’ve done. We’re pretty tenacious about getting through it.

That said, we’re probably going to update the website soon to reflect the specs today vs. what we expect to deliver via updates, so new purchasers aren’t surprised. That won’t be any sort of de-commitment, but some of you will remember recent posters saying “I just bought this from someone so I’ve never seen a Glowforge update, and I was surprised that it didn’t meet the website” problem that new owners have reported lately.

10 Likes

Oh Well, lost the day, back to March 15th…

…beware the ides of March?

2 Likes

Aaaarrrrr… gained a day last week, now I lost two… pushed back to March 8th…