Discussion of February update

Discuss away! The February update is here.
(And to answer the obvious question… no, there wasn’t a January update, my apologies!)

9 Likes

How is the software development going in regards to the camera being off centered and also the ability to cut on a curved surface as shown in the promo video?

3 Likes

We post about software releases when they’re complete - and in fact we did announce some improvements last month that help your print land more closely to where your preview indicates. There’s more in the works, too!

7 Likes

Congrats on the progress on international shipping!

1 Like

Great update! (And Man! There are a ton of projects on Instagram! Folks been gettin’ busy!) :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Soooo any chance of actually revealing which countries have their certs? Or rather which certs have actually been approved?

1 Like

Great to hear that our family abroad will soon have as much fun as we are!!!

2 Likes

Congratulations on beating expectations on Golden Email Day as mine just arrived and went out tonight! a week ahead of the schedule!

3 Likes

Yay! My Texas Bluebonnet piece was indirectly featured in a monthly update!

16 Likes

It sucks so many people are still waiting. For me, the wait got so much worse once other people started getting theirs. Not that I begrudged anyone who got it earlier; just that it made me extra impatient to get mine.

So, to everyone still waiting: hang in there! Its worth the wait. Genuinely. Having had one for a few weeks, I would definitely make the same choice all over again - the expense, the wait, the delays, all of it. If mine got stolen by the world’s strongest, most ridiculous thieves, I would buy another one the next day.

10 Likes

I understand the “we don’t discuss updates before they’re done” policy. I really do! I work in software and know that it can be a no-win scenario.

But as an owner and not your software product manager, I really want to know what’s in the works. Many people have independently requested some of the same features, like saving settings for our non-Proofgrade materials, and we have no idea if those features are things we might get, or things we’ll never get.

If you can find a way to give us some news about what’s happening in the software world, it would be appreciated.

4 Likes

Thanks for the Update. @dan, please let us upload our own G-Code to the glowforge app. of course with a good pre processor. I use Fusion360 CAM and I would love to be able to send my designs without going thru 2D software intermediate steps.

I can help beta test this if you wish and even help write the pre-processor if needed!

BTW: KUDOS with the open source firmware! That is a great promise to keep! Congrats!

2 Likes

Anyone else catch Luke from Linus Tech Tips at the GF booth?

3 Likes

When international shipments start arriving, I’m sure there’ll be lots of noise about it on the forum - but I’m afraid we don’t comment about compliance and logistics like this.

I know. I’m sorry. We’ll try to keep your spirits up with a steady stream of cool improvements, vs. a steady stream of future promises. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately that’s unlikely - we don’t use G-code, and it would be nontrivial to add.

Thanks! I’m looking forward to getting it out into the world.

He was great! Hung out for more than an hour - great to talk to.

3 Likes

Hi, Good news that international shipments will start soon. Just some further questions:

• International units are special batch. Is this because those units are different from US units ? Are those potential differences induce difference in the way we will use the Glowforge?

• To optimize shipping cost for international buyers, will it be possible to order proofgrade materials before shipping and group the delivery?

Have a good day.

Yes, they’re different, and no, not even slightly. (We won’t comment on the differences but they’re trivial and don’t affect usage, longevity, safety, or anything else helpful).

Unfortunately no. Materials ship separately, so there’s no cost advantage anyway.

3 Likes

A “pause” button would be a great addition, as well as being able to load .ai or dxf file types. I know you’ve said from the beginning that these functions will eventually be available, but I am a little tired that I waited two years for a beta product.

Still, I don’t want to appear too ungreatful, it is still a wonderful machine that performs just about as well as I hoped it would. Thank you, glowforge.

3 Likes

I can think of a few reasons why the current production units would fail CE, but would the international units not pass all the US requirements as well? It is normally possible to make products with worldwide approvals because the requirements are not normally mutually exclusive.

I feel like a massive weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I’m not even sure I mind if the UK/EU is on the list (although I suspect it is). The fact that @dan is talking about the start of international shipping is such a relief. My date isn’t far away so it might not be too long before I start shooting lasers.

13 Likes

Happy to read a update after two months. I would like to know more about the air filter. How is going on? I know that you can`t say to much about this staff but it would be grate to read something about it.

2 Likes