Discussion of "Help Us Get One Million Ears Savers to Essential Workers"

Designcraft was able to ship out 4,900 more today for a total of 11,410 parts this week to hospitals and other essential workers in 10 states. We’ve got nearly 10,000 more in inventory and ready to ship as soon as we have requests.

Made 0 for Glowforge. They have yet to match us.

2 Likes

Amazing, thank you!

Holy cow! Thank you and thank your team!!

I signed up earlier but never heard anything so I signed up again today and just got matched for 385. If you haven’t been matched might want to sign up again?

2 Likes

I need to figure out how to do that. good skill to have going forward. thanks for sharing!

I will pass that to the team (wife), thanks!
While I do have my complaints about the glowforge, the machine hasn’t disappointed in the regard that it’s been running 14 hours plus a day without issue.

1 Like

Awesome - I have the father daughter team going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so I thought Glowforge was a bit more invested… I signed up to do loads… but now find out it’s just a 20% discount on Glowforge materials… seems a bit cheap to me… somewhat disappointed in the Glowforge team… so many of us have been making things for our communities for week before this (what now feels like a PR stunt)… went and bought $140 in acrylic was told there was a spot the drop in a code to get the discount… was no where to be seen… Im very frustrated… Im a health care worker and have had my 3D printer and Glowforge going 24/7… just expected more.

1 Like

you have to put it in where it says “gift card” on the shipping page. it’s not clear.

1 Like

I’ve gotten several matches.

no its not… sad…

just got matched:)

1 Like

I get where you’re coming from, but why not keep it positive? You don’t have to turn on the score layer, and you don’t have to use their material. I turned the score off because I worry about bacteria growing in the crevices, and I’m using .030" acrylic from BF Plastics cause it’s cheaper (~$14 for a 2’x4’ sheet you can cut down with a hobby knife) and I think the thinner plastic is more comfortable. The way I view it, Glowforge’s main contribution is setting up the site and portal to match makers with front line workers.

Would it be nice for them to email store credit to anyone who participates through the portal or something like that? Sure. But I also get that times are tough on almost every company and I’d rather see them keep employees than give free material away. And if you’re in a tough spot or not interested in donating the material and time, then you certainly don’t need to participate and nobody is going look down on you for that. But if you do want to participate, at least keep it positive!

9 Likes

That looks amazing. I’m too new to understand how to do this but I love it… Day 10 of owning a GL and sent out 1200 so far. Matched 4 times and the rest are friends and family.

This is the site I used to design the boxes I’ve used. It’s very easy to use and has lots of template options.

https://www.templatemaker.nl/en/

1 Like

So very true trying to stay positive… Will check out your materials suggestions…
Really great info… Tnx

1 Like

So… I did let my frustrations get the better of me with this post, If this offended anyone or was taken as an attack, Im very sorry… I was venting and this is a forum for change and problem solving not for petty frustrations … I will think harder before posting and consider this a lesson learned.

tnx

Mark

8 Likes

What I noticed when doing this was the thickness variance from sheet to sheet. I usually work with one color at a time for projects and don’t notice it so much, but I wanted to send a variety of colors and the bundles of 10 are quite a bit different.

I did a sheet in medium plywood as one use earsavers and they worked very well… I wiped them with rubbing alcohol then placed them in a ziplock bag of baking soda and some cinnamon to remove the smock smell… they can be cleaned with alcohol and Im telling people they are a one time use… discard at the end of the day… just until my acrylic arrives .

2 Likes

I love seeing the pictures of people who we help together! That said, please don’t post pictures of anyone else online, since they may not want them published on the internet.

1 Like