Discussion of June '17 update

I would not have ordered either and I suspect they would have gotten very few pre-orders based on the eventual schedule. I was expecting some delay from the originally promised schedule based on years of developing new products, but not this much of a delay. So it’s not a fun feeling. On the other hand, I’m still glad I did place my order. So basically, I’m stuck in cognitive dissonance land.

12 Likes

thank you

1 Like

We’ll give you the choice of receiving yours without the air filter or not… I bet I can get you a better answer if you email support@glowforge.com who has your order details, though.

4 Likes

Yes - we’re moving as fast as we can, but we won’t be able to finish on time. We’ll get every customer their Glowforge ASAP, but early orders will (all things being equal) get them sooner than later ones.

4 Likes

Who remembers that “FIrst units shipping December 2015!” - with a bit of luck all will have shipped BEFORE December 2017!

8 Likes

Perhaps you read my original post too quickly. In your announcement (below), you claimed that we can manually align on machines that don’t have this yet-to-be-released software. We can’t. That statement should not have been in the announcement.

1 Like

And in the neighborhood of 9367 others I’m sure. :smile:

10 Likes

In light of yet another delay it’s painfully clear that that schedule was never even close to possible. Just plain dishonest.

5 Likes

Both “all units ship by” dates (30-day campaign and after) changed.

1 Like

Hofstadter’s Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter’s Law.

29 Likes

@dan I have been quiet since backing in the first month believing in the product, quality of what GF is making, appreciating the compensation for delays and also very frustrated by them.

Prior to today I believed delivery would and should be done based on when the order was placed. If the teams are as good as you say, the quantity of high quality GF’s produced per day is well known, your note implies a lot of effort to understand what it takes to deliver it has been done, I believe everything you need to give us a reasonable expectation within a week or two is available! (overseas delays which cannot be helped excluded of course)

My time waiting is worth some clarity on delivery now that you are so close.

Can you help me understand why it is not that simple given the data you have?

Thank you

3 Likes

We’ll be shipping Basic (and also Pro, starting in 3 weeks) units continuously, so yes, there’s a chance depending on your location, when you ordered, etc.

4 Likes

OOC @dan how many units per day can the factory make?
Basic speaking, for now.

5 Likes

I’m sorry I was unclear. “in the meantime, [once you get your Pro unit], you’ll be able to manually align your designs” might have been more clear.

1 Like

This is the challenge - our production rate and yield are both under constant improvement, not fixed.

2 Likes

So let me get this straight. Once we get our Pro units, there will be an integration of head and lid cameras that will give us accurate placement? Even on warped materials?

1 Like

What are you talking about Scott? Why can’t we manually align?

Sure, it won’t be perfect yet, but there ought to be a way to set up a jig of some kind.

(And I just upgraded to Pro this morning, so I now have skin in the game.) :wink:

update: Okay…never mind…dan beat me to it.

7 Likes

i think this is his issue

9 Likes

Pro Software

We’re also hard at work on many Pro-specific parts of the app. We’re improving the lid and head camera operation so that the passthrough feature automatically aligns your extra-long designs for you. That software will roll out later this year, but we won’t hold up shipping Pro units as a result - in the meantime, you’ll be able to manually align your designs. You’ll also have faster Pro cuts with both Proofgrade and manual settings.

The statement uses the future tense “you’ll be able to”. Future tense. It refers to H/W and S/W that is not the automatic alignment capabilities but is supposedly significantly improved from the current accuracies. In three to six weeks after the first Pro is delivered you might be able to say his statement is incorrect. Not yet.

4 Likes

Yes, “perfect” means better than, say, 1/4" misalignment.

2 Likes