Discussion of June '17 update

To be honest everyone is very excited about the news and all, but read it carefully they are AGAIN kindly covering their back saying that some people will have to wait until december… YET AGAIN… no one knows their place in the line, no one knows when they will be getting willy wonkas golden ticket. in december they sweared ALL of them would be shipped in july… and now it turns out you might not be one of those lucky ones ( even if you bought it like me in pre-release, but since im an intl. costumer i might just as well get my stuff probably in 2019 by the stage this is going)… I seriously need a clearer answer… not just again glowforge tricking us…

5 Likes

In a long email I received about 6 months ago I think they did state since orders were delayed again they would add on another 6 months to the warranty, however I am not sure if it’s legally binding… They have the same dates you posted here still https://glowforge.com/faq/warranty-repairs-and-support. There is nothing updated saying those who purchased during the campaign before October 25th 2015 will have an additional 6 months added to their warranty.

I think we all can completely understand and share your grievances. The possibility that some people will need to wait even longer really stinks.

With that said, though, the fact that they have already sent out some production units and that those people are very pleased with their devices is huge! At least at this point it’s a comfortable ‘When’ and no longer an ‘If.’

6 Likes

Very well said. I’ve been following this whole process for many many months and only just little less than a week ago did I decide to bite the bullet and “Pre-Order/Order” a Glowforge. I have been watching all of the delays that have happened so far and I still am very interested and willing to stick around of the outcome that I know will be amazing! Like my dad always said to me when I was little, “good things happen to people who wait patiently”. :slight_smile::glowforge:

5 Likes

I’m afraid I don’t have anything else to offer, then, but we can process a speedy refund for you.

I apologize if it was unclear, but everyone who has purchased to date has at least 12 months of warranty coverage.

4 Likes

Indeed, all purchasers to date get a six-month extension to their warranty.

1 Like

@dan very disappointed at the news of another delay for my pro unit with filter. You have been holding my money for over 19 months keep giving dates, keep breaking dates. I keep telling myself next delay is the last straw. Went to Maker Faire in San Mateo talked to Dan in person seen the units in operation and told in August. Now I’m being told possibly to late to make personalized Christmas presents again. Don’t know whether I should crap or get off the pot anymore. Down to my last straw!!!

6 Likes

Even a year of coverage doesn’t demonstrate that you have much faith in a product we’ve waited more than a year for.

I’d love to believe in the longevity of your company because I like the core concept, but things that cost this much usually have a longer warranty and don’t rely on your cloud only.

I’m not going to cancel because I’d love to be wrong about my doubts and I’ve waited this long because it is a tool that could do what I need. But please be aware of the culture of broken promises your company is currently known for. We all want you to succeed; you need to regain our trust over time with tangible results. Please do.

2 Likes

FWIW, I have been a forum member since day 1, but I have been very far from a Regular contributor. I tend to visit once or twice a week and read up, but have not posted very much. I did not receive a pre-release unit.

BUT.

I ordered early morning on the first day of the campaign – based on the dollar counter on the page when I purchased I reckon I was in the first 20 orders placed. My Glowforge (Basic) is scheduled to arrive on Monday via UPS. So they’re definitely beyond just shipping early units to active contributors and VIP customers. My air filter will be here by the end of the year, and I’ll be delighted to hang the dryer hose out the window like a caveman until then. :wink:

Hang in there, friends. I know you’re super anxious to get the Glowforge. I have been too, but based on the MOUNTAIN of evidence available here, reviews, I Like To Make Stuff, and reports from events where Glowforges were available to play with, it’s going to be worth it!

53 Likes

Hooray!

There are a lot of Day 1 orders but we’re working our way through them…

17 Likes

I would counter that 100 people on that spreadsheet is a small statistical drop in the bucket (1%, in fact) compared to 10,000 people who have orders on file. For each person on that list, I’d be surprised if there was not an equal number of people NOT on the list who have received their email (or shipping details), and who make zero effort to participate in the forums.

8 Likes

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like a prop.

2 Likes

Have you compared laser warranties versus “things costing this much”?

Most computers do not included more than a year warranty (excluding purchasing additional extensions). Business class computers may or may not come with multi year coverage, but Mac Pros ($2500 at the cheapest - really $3200 for good configurations) or upper end Windows Surface series machines are $2000 plus with one year warranties. I know @dan has “hopperized” extended warranties, but nothing at this time.

$1000 smartphones only come with 1 year warranties (and many people break them within 2 years and need to pay $200 plus for repairs).

Please understand that that I am trying to keep in context warranties versus faith in a product.

As to the cloud aspect, Glowforge is developing custom open source firmware to make the unit work in case something goes bad. The thought of having to address software issues (like the other laser units require) does not appeal to me, so I am glad that the price of cloud based software development and technical support is factored into the cost of the Glowforge.

For the record, I have over $4000 committed to my purchase since Oct 2015 and it hurts to have a few more months put into the schedule.

13 Likes

I can’t wait to get access to the store for both designs and proofgrade. I’m also still debating if I want both the pro and filter at the same time or just deal with not having the filter for a bit…

Also, great update. Exactly what we needed to hear. Thank you.

3 Likes

Just want to say thank you because of yet another delay that I completely expected because there’s no way in hell this thing is ever going to arrive when you say it will arrive, I won a hundred dollar bet with another GF customer. getting more and more disappointed as every day passes without my GF. Reading through this last update I knew there was going to be bad news at the tail end because you only give us information like this when there is bad news to be given. It’s like “Hey! Look at this pretty bobble here while I kick you in the nuts”.

6 Likes

I am in India. And bought on 10th of october. When I can expect my glowforge.

I got a basic one.

Thank you

Basic units are shipped. It means international shipping as well?.

Something that makes me a lot more comfortable about Glowforge being around for the long haul is that they have raised $31M in Series A & B funding in addition to the $27M Crowdfunding campaign.

This is not a company running on a shoestring budget.

I ordered a Basic plus Filter on Sept 28th, then upgraded to pro before the end of the campaign.

I have been a Software Engineer for about 37 years, at large companies, small companies, and startups. Seen more than one fail and a few succeed. I agree that the initial timeline was unrealistically short, but I like that the reports from the field have been getting consistently better.

I do not know @dan, but I do know the mettle of one of their execs who was founder of a very successful startup I was involved with. He would not be involved with a company intent on fleecing people. I was very glad when I heard he had joined the company.

I don’t like the delay, but I feel that they have been making good faith estimates that turned out to be a bit too optimistic.

17 Likes

@dan as I stated earlier I appreciate your communication, and your attempts to placate our valid dissatisfaction. However as an international backer that can’t make use of their APO address all but the extended warranty is somewhat pointless to me. I’ve already paid $954 in shipping, have another $959 to pay in import duty when my Pro and Airfilter get here, and will have to pay similarly inflated shipping prices and duty on any “discounted” materials I buy using the vouchers I accrue while waiting for my machine.

As I stated earlier I discovered yesterday that it would be cheaper for me to fly to the US to visit family, pick up my Pro and Air Filter (which I would have delivered to them), and then fly back with it and pay the excess baggage fee. That alone is a rather dismal realisation, but coupled with the fact that the compensation you have offered for these continual delays can hardly be counted as such for me makes it doubly so.

Have you made any attempts at considering how you could lower international shipping costs to a more reasonable rate (one that would cost less than an entire Air Filter?), or how you could perhaps offer a compensation package to international buyers that actually could be counted is such, or perhaps (for my own case) how you could find a way to make the packages deliverable through APO to those of us stationed abroad.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

2 Likes

Perhaps you should consider seriously following through on this realization? Because there are other people in the forums who are taking steps to retrieve their units from US delivery points and importing them themselves. Just tell support@glowforge.com about your change of plans.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable for Glowforge to have a single set of consistent plans for each country if they are the ones put in charge of delivery logistics. Each country has a myriad of regulations. Those plans probably won’t work for everyone. They can’t make individual plans for each individual in each individual country. It’s not feasible.

5 Likes