Discussion of June '17 update

Not sure if the 20$/month Extras would apply in your case, since you had not ordered before the first delay announcement where they applied. They are not offering additional gifts/bennies with this schedule update announcement.

You probably still will get the $150 Proofgrade package that comes with the machine to get you started. (If they were stated when you ordered, you will get them.) :relaxed:

1 Like

Out of curiosity since it says 70Lbs has any of the individuals who have received their Forge weighed the package? I mean the weight everyone is going with is 70lbs or could this be just an estimated (rounded up) weight which does happen or just prior to that “family member” re-ships the package Via APO are there any small parts that can be packaged separately to bring the weight down? again he mentioned import/taxes but if he can find a way to go APO those are no longer an issue and should be much less than the $900+ additional costs.

1 Like

68lbs.

Thank you so the APO possibility is still fundamentally a possibility for our troops over seas un less there are other stipulations now.

1 Like

This was on another thread a few days ago

Unless someone measures a box they’ve received showing the dimensions listed on the shipping page are incorrect, it appears to me that the USPS won’t handle it because of the dimensions (and possibly weight).

Alas, I already checked this. I’ve been told by support that they can’t ship to me in the UK at my APO address. There was the suggestion that shipments later on, those that aren’t part of the preorder batch, may be able to go via APO however.

Sorry to hear that they were just some thoughts to possibly help the only other thought I have is if your AF and know someone attached to an air crew that may be willing to trans port it that is assuming there are regular trips stateside by those air crews granted it may cost you a six pack or so.

I’m going to give the informal route a go. I know a few air crews that owe me a favour or two. I think the GF may be worth cashing them in for.

4 Likes

I figure that I will make a “fence” like you’d find on a Tablesaw that will create the guide rail that will keep things aligned going into the slot and out the other side. I have in mind that I will make some things that are about 7 feet long. so I have been giving this a lot of thought. :slight_smile:

also I’ll point out that I had to make a special tool to pull my Coretec Plus planks into place against and an angled wall when I redid the the flooring on my first floor. So I figure keeping something straight should be easy.

I continue to be excited about my Glowforge. My girls and wife, well they’ve been hearing it is coming for a while now. So they’ve gone a bit sour, I know it will change when we fire it up though.

Chris

5 Likes

I get being frustrated with delays… and if no units were being shipped, I could see being willing to jump ship now. But if you’ve held on this long, and folks are reporting getting theirs (and being THRILLED with them) … the idea that you would jump ship now and miss out on this awesome thing… I think you will be kicking yourself for not hanging in for the final stretch here.

12 Likes

People have a right to be upset and people also have a right to be optimistic, there is really no reason to rag on anyone for their feelings, everyone is entitled to them. This is a large investment for some people and it can get emotional… I knew they would be running about a year behind but for someone who has never done a kick starter and thought the release date was a for sure thing i can see why they would be frustrated. Sure you can blame them for not doing their research but the advertisement was pretty darn amazing and I can see getting sucked into that. We are all just people with feelings if you’re upset and sad, I am so sorry and I feel for you. If you are fine and optimistic great! I could use some of that for sure at the moment either way if you are going to make someone feel less then for having different feelings then you, you’re not a very nice person in my opinion. Please remember everyone has different situations and circumstances. This wasn’t for the last few posters, just something I noticed last night when people were expressing how they felt.

9 Likes

Well, if you know a guy who flies transport or refueling aircraft … maybe they can be your ‘importer.’ :glowforge::sunglasses: Did this like crazy back in the day between Korea and Okinawa.

2 Likes

My birthday is the 17th and was kinda asking the universe to grant me this same wish!
I went pro too, was a bit late to the game. On top of that, I’m in Canada (only 146 miles from glowforge central though!) so I’ve prepped myself for September.

1 Like

It’s not too scary. My K40 should be a class 4 (it’s got no safety mechanisms) but the Red Sail is - complete with pass-thru.

When the pass through slots are closed it’s​ just like a Class 1. Nothing to worry about. When the pass-thru is in use everyone in the room wears CO2 laser rated safety glasses. Or they can’t come in.

Now put that laser in a hand held laser pointer type thing (ray gun anyone?) it’s a different story :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That is the practical implications but the regs say a whole lot more, for example you need to put warning signs up, so if you are in a public or commercial environment there is probably a lot more you need to do.

1 Like

Indeed, our team is hard at work optimizing international shipping. Unfortunately, we spend more to serve our international customers than we charge you - so we are already heavily subsidizing international orders, even with high shipping rate. It’s an unfortunate reflection of the high cost of international logistics. We charge more, and then we pay even more than that out of our own pockets, and yet you still get less. I wish it were otherwise.

3 Likes

Avoiding the obvious joke and saying “What a putz.” hehe, sorry. I think it also depends on whether it is Domestic or International. Just to throw another condition in, so the number of units ordered per country, and in the US would also effect this. The International could depend upon ease of Export, fees, taxes, etc.

Like many of those who have been waiting for their GF for over a year, I was disheartened and disappointed with the news of the delay in the update email yesterday from @dan, but also excited to hear about the improvements that have been made, including with the Pro version.

It WILL be a better machine when we get it than it would have been a year ago, or even 6 months ago. But it’s understandable for so many to be frustrated with the delay, when less than a month ago the GF folks were still promoting the earlier delivery dates. I would not characterize this change of schedule in such harsh terms as several have done, but I will say that the communications with the customer base has room for improvement. If GF had announced at BAMF that they had begun shipping, but the overall delivery schedule completion date had been pushed back for various reasons, with the final timing still being determined, the bad news part of the announcement yesterday would not have PO’d some people as much.

I want my GF, and I want it now. But it’s not ready for me now. I need to wait, and put all of those wonderful projects I have in mind on hold yet again. I know there are many others in the same boat.

Yeah, there’s another delay, but there’s also a light at the end of the tunnel. All of us can take reassurance in that fact that real people are receiving real machines that work. So I have no plans to give up on my order. As a matter of fact, I am now contemplating whether to upgrade to a Pro version just as @Jules is apparently planning to do. (She seems to be a good person to follow the lead with.)

An OB doctor told me last week when my wife was being examined that he can tell I am the patient one. I am, and it has not worn thin yet on the GF. Of course, that does not mean I won’t be bothered by another delay. My wife and I have been together for over 17 years, and we’ll bring twins into the world next week after a long wait. Hopefully, GF will now also be able to exceed our expectations on delivery in terms of both timing and the quality of the box we get. As many of the lucky ones who have one on hand have said, it will be worth the wait. I’m sure that goes for twins, too. Right, @dan?

15 Likes

Ive designed products from the conception to delivery. It’s very tough and there a lot of unknowns along the way. I appreciate how hard it is to get it right. I’ve made the poor decision of shipping before completely confident and it hurt, badly. Subsequently, you learn that an unhappy customer due to wait is the lesser of two evils if the product will get returned for being a lemon. However, waiting is certainly difficult for its own reasons.

So, from my experience I say, go Glowforge team! Take a second to revel, you’ve begun shipping. This is a big deal. Congratulations are in order and you should be very proud. Also, the next few months are gonna be tough, so saviour this morsel of victory!

Congrats and thank you.

7 Likes