Discussion of June '17 update

/facepalm … someone scarcasim / jokes are missed but understand I do know why you are explaining it.

1 Like

Not gonna lie…it’s also been pretty wonderful having one… :wink:
(In a much better mood this morning.)

Shades of gray folks…at least fifty of them or so.

Hope everyone has a much better day today than yesterday.

7 Likes

Where are you posted?
I’m gonna guess.

Lakenheath?

If so, I’m only up the road.
You can have it delivered here if you like.

I feel this last delay is mostly due a underestimation of the time it takes to build and test each Glowforge by GF and the manufacturer.

A deception or scam would be sending you a Glowforge a year ago that didn’t work like the promo video or just filled with a bunch of old pinball parts. I hate waiting and am disappointed, but I’d rather wait and get what I paid for rather than something that doesn’t work as promised and be disappointed again.

6 Likes

Be sure to send an email to support@glowforge.com to start the refund process. They aren’t going to see it here on the forum.

(People have been known to change their minds.)

You’re map is wrong. No pig symbols in Iowa. Can’t be right.

4 Likes

and no sheep in WY

3 Likes

Our church is doing a Maker themed VBS this year, and I am still hoping to have my Glowforge Pro in time to use it at least a little in connection with VBS.

But even if I don’t, I’m thrilled with the safety oriented updates that go with the Pro. The screw in pass through protectors make me so glad that I didn’t downgrade my order to a Basic on that basis, and while I’ve already ordered and received 2 pairs of safety goggles, I’m still delighted to have an extra pair with a snazzy logo.

Can’t wait to get my hands on this machine! Christmas 2017 is going to be quite the homemade holiday.

7 Likes

I’m expecting to do a number of ornaments.

1 Like

Something worth thinking about is asking if someone here with either a production unit or PRU might be willing to help out for some of these specific use cases in case yours doesn’t arrive in time. It would likely depend a lot on where you are vs where units are but folks here with PRUs have been pretty open to inviting folks over, making something that someone needed/wanted or otherwise help out.

4 Likes

Because I met my commitment which was to get the customer to buy. It’s a compounding of Glowforge not meeting THEIR commitment with yet another shipping delay. I own a business. I have sales representatives. If they go out and sell me a job worth 10K, then I screw it up and have to refund 5K of that job to the customer, my rep still gets their percentage off 10K because they still did their job.
I DEFINITELY feel taken advantage of, because they offered us 100/unit to sell them and promised that refund over a year ago, just like they promised my unit over a year ago.

2 Likes

Yeah, where are you in the world? There is a growing network of folks who can probably help you out… If you are northeast, happy to help.

2 Likes

I believe there is a misconception about the Pre-Release units. Jules is an angel and goes way beyond any expectations. The only requirement is for her to provide feedback to the company on problems, issues or surprises. No obligation to the forum.

That said, all Pre-Release users are providing information and support to the forum but it’s only because they want to do so. And at considerable expense in time and money. Provided material was limited. The rest is out of pocket. Can’t speak to the others but guessing I spent a couple hundred dollars out of pocket in material costs answering questions. Granted it’s easier if the questions also interest me.

Bottom line is that Jules deserves credit. If someone asks her a question they probably should do it with graciousness.

BTW: my comment has absolutely nothing to do with you or anything you have ever said. We’re cool. Just gave me the opportunity to clarify a point.

22 Likes

but you’re asking for something they didn’t promise. you’re asking to be advanced several hundred dollars of a potential refund before your laser ships or before their laser ships, when both of you could still cancel, leaving them to chase after you for the money. it was always clearly stated that if someone cancels, your discount disappears.

of course glowforge has had unfortunate delays, but your request is beyond the pale.

2 Likes

I also asked Dan if I could get my “discount” (rebate… refund… payment for getting 20K+ in business for Glowforge) applied to an upgrade. I was told “It’s in the hopper.” And nothing further.

What I’m saying is this… honor a promise. SOME promise… Right now it feels like they took my money and my enthusiasm and now I don’t matter to them at all.

1 Like

Oh, I’m no angel. (Ask my mother, and she’ll be happy to set you straight.)

And I’m not alone in feeling that as a PRU owner that it’s more of a trust on behalf of the other people who don’t have them yet…every one of the PRU owners has shown off their work and answered questions and sent information to Glowforge to improve the machine. Betas too.

So even though Glowforge doesn’t require it, everyone who has one has knocked themselves out trying to make this a better machine, and get little last minute glitches squared away.

Nope. Not just me. Sorry.

13 Likes

Are the units that are currently shipping going out with the new black crumb tray, @dan? From some of the early delivery pictures that have been posted, it doesn’t look like they have the black ones yet so I figured I’d just ask so I know what to expect on Monday.

Lol “beyond the pale”

I would think that would be promising a unit, then promising it would definitely be shipped six months later… then doing that over and over and over and over endlessly… but you know. I guess me expecting a company that I gave my money to, and then told other people to give THEIR money to, to deliver my product in a timely fashion is just… outrageous. “beyond the pale.”

Kthen. I’ll just shut up and keep waiting for my unit some more. :slight_smile:

Matter of fact I’ll be GRATEFUL that they made a black drop tray for my unit and a bunch of tiny little “upgrades” that totally negate the dang thing didn’t work a few months ago and is two years or so late… WOWWWWWWWWW… #supergrateful

if you want to mock my choice of words, fine, but i’ll stand by them. you’re being unreasonable and asking for concessions that literally no other manufacturer does. refunds come after shipping, and that’s the way it’s always been.

the same goes for an upgrade - what if the people who bought one all cancelled after your pro ships? you’d be arguing about how you shouldn’t have to pay anything back even though that was never the way the agreement works.

rail on them all you want for being late - whether naive or dishonest i’ll never know. but the entitlement on here is amazing (and this is coming from someone who complained really loudly about the tubes).

9 Likes

I guess where I’m at is here… I’ve spent thousands on “engravables” stacked up to the ceiling in my workroom. My partners have gone from laughing at my folly to politely requesting that I put back the money that I took and gave to Glowforge out of my salary until it arrives… which I have.
I could get a laser now for my 2K and get a refund.

I acknowledge that I CANNOT get a better laser than this promises to be for a grand.
So, I sit and wait, and fume.

When it gets here, I’m sure I’ll be it’s loudest supporter. But right now, I feel like the way we’re being treated kinda sucks.

I don’t even WANT the money. I’d LOVE to be upgraded to a pro for my thousand dollar discount as a thank you for waiting two full years for this thing.

But… that’s in the hopper.

So… I have forum whining to console me.

4 Likes