Discussion of June '17 update

We never got 8-track – I didn’t even have my own record player till college. But I had a friend/mentor who chose/kept his car because it was the last model made that came with an 8-track player. (For his day job, he was a chip designer :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

I was too young and my mom and dad weren’t huge music people. I had a little 45 player in a plastic case. All I remember is the Ballad of Davey Crocket. I bet my parents wanted to jab pencils in their ears. For my younger sister it was the Annie soundtrack. “The sun will come out tomorrow,” pretty much makes me want to do the same. I had a small cassette tape collection for my Walkman mainly because I worked about half-time on a line soldering and the women who ran the line had the radio tuned to country. Which I maybe could have handled except every hour, whether they needed to our not, the country station played Fishing in the Dark. How I learned to hate that song. I do remember friends with large music collections bemoaning the $$$ to switch it to CDs.

Also, you could smoke at your workstation back then. It would be child endangerment today no doubt.

3 Likes

i mean many grandparents were born before antibiotics. things change quickly, and they’re still speeding up.

2 Likes

Neither were our grandparents though. It’s a return to pre-1950s norms. Historically there was no expectation of privacy - either the manor Lord or company boss or later, the neighbors & townfolk knew everything about everyone. It was only after the War that people started moving more & being less connected to their neighbors ultimately resulting in the SCOTUS finding of a right to privacy in the Constitution in the 60s.

Yep. There are people alive who have never seen technologies that were magic to many of us.

I do presentations on changing expectations and the impact on technology implementations and one of the examples I use is the “Save” button in most Windows applications. Everyone knows what it is but many people growing up now don’t know it as anything but the Save button - the diskette it’s a picture of is something they’ve never seen so they don’t know why it’s “save” just that it’s the button icon everyone uses :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Although the key difference was that people who knew you, knew everything about you, because people didn’t know much about folks far away. Now you can find out information of an extremely personal nature of people who live on continents you’ve never been to…

6 Likes

I still have mine AND it works. and yes I rock out in the Garage to Ted Nugent etc. :slight_smile:

Realistic Concertmate 8

a whopping 102 bucks.

1 Like

Don’t even remind me what I spent for my first (and only) DVD player. Still, in 20 years (if we’re still here) we’ll be saying how much we spent for our first 3D laser printer.

1 Like

To be fair, the CD had a pretty short prime time life. I remember it hitting the mass market when I was about 10yrs old and by the time I was 20-25, digital download had a pretty solid hold.

1 Like

My wife and I have had a debate over the last couple of days about preserving cord blood and tissue from one or both of the twins when they are born tomorrow. She is on the conservative side, unsure of the need to spend the money to preserve something that “nobody ever uses” (cord blood) or for which science has not even developed the complete application processes (cord tissue).

However, it’s not used much, I argue, because people have not been preserving these items for very long in the whole scheme of things. I doubt anyone on this forum has cord blood or tissue preserved for them specifically, although some may have it stored for one or more of their children. And as for application of the tissue, the science on this is bound to explode over the next 5 years, and the uses will be invaluable to all of our family over a lifetime. But if we take no action now to preserve it, it will be too late when the science on using the tissue has fully matured, and some day down the road, we wish we had it.

She has finally agreed to collect and store the cord blood and tissue from one of the twins. Since they’re fraternal, it won’t be an exact match for both, but it will be close enough.

6 Likes

Grace and ease for your wife, and you, on the amazing day tomorrow.

4 Likes

Holy kaka, what are you doing on a forum? Shouldn’t you be out having a nervous meltdown? Buying booties? Bottles? Blankies? :wink:

8 Likes

lol @Jules. I am the patient one. Everything is under control. Everything that needs to have been purchased is waiting at home. No nervous breakdowns on the horizon. My wife is even in to work today, as she will be tomorrow, too. :stuck_out_tongue:

UPS MYChoice shows a scheduled delivery of 5:25pm tomorrow.

7 Likes

You are “robot-people”! :robot: No one is that calm.:smile:

5 Likes

Hey, when you get to be 62, with three fully grown kids out in the world with successful careers (the youngest of whom received his PhD with a thesis on laser materials), you’ve already seen enough to know there’s no need to be frantic. I look forward to tomorrow, with calm excitement.

However, when I get “the email”, I don’t know whether I will remain calm. That will be a new one for me.

8 Likes

Having grown up with the one-ringy-dingy phone on the wall to waiting expectantly for “the email” has been quite a ride!

8 Likes

We did our older daughter’s cord blood with CryoCell.

we elected not to the second time around.

1 Like

I would not deny the difference at a society level, just concerned that often our need to understand turns to stereotypes. In the end people are people not generations or races or even sexes.

1 Like

Since you’re shipping now (hoping to get my email soon! :smile:) - I was wondering if you could release where to buy proofgrade materials. I would like to see the prices and what is available so I can start pricing the items I would like to build . Thank you Dan!

Congratulations!!!

I will never forget the doctor’s appointment where our doc took my wife’s blood pressure and said, “Congratulations.”

“Congratulations because her blood pressure is low?”

“No, congratulations because this time tomorrow you’ll be parents. I’m scheduling a C-section in eighteen hours.”

(very challenging pregnancy, which lead to a very wonderful family)

21 Likes

…unless you are trying really really hard or trying to be featured on Outrageous Acts of Science.

1 Like