Discussion of June '17 update

You will have access to shop.glowforge.com when you get your delivery notification. Hardwood, plywood, acrylic and leather of various sorts are all in the shop. Until that time it isn’t available to window shop. Prices aren’t set in stone, so things may vary but I can say they are worth the price in having a finished piece when taking it out of the Glowforge. Comparable to other laser material providers and wood stores.

4 Likes

@dan Hi,Dan,

I have been watching the delivery updates since March. Seeing the delivery been delayed again and again is really a bad feeling. I ordered the basic version for our workshop this January. We have been open for cutting services and received orders lined up in the back stage. Considering the bad impact to ask my clients waiting so long time, I would like to ask your favor to ship my order no later than Aug 2017. Would it be possible?

they don’t comment on individual orders, so you’re regrettably unlikely to get the response you’re hoping. also, it’s not like all the other orders don’t want their lasers soon, too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy:
Any clients in China who will get the laser than me? I’d like to borrow it for promotion activity.

unfortunately, no international orders (orders outside the U.S.) have shipped just yet. probably soon, though!

Unfortunately I can’t provide ship dates on individual orders. I’m so sorry for the delay, and we will work with all haste to deliver your order as soon as we can.

2 Likes

I had a 3.5" floppy sitting on my desk at work the other day due to an unrelated prior conversation at the office… One of our interns saw it and actually asked me why I’d 3d printed the save icon. I’m told that the look on my face was priceless.And they honestly had no clue where that icon originated (they do now!).

27 Likes

Ok, I think you win.

5 Likes

It was definitely a unique (to me at least) teaching moment… I’m not even 40 yet for crying out loud and it made me feel ancient!

6 Likes

I had a 3.5" floppy sitting on my desk at work the other day due to an unrelated prior conversation at the office… One of our interns saw it and actually asked me why I’d 3d printed the save icon. I’m told that the look on my face was priceless.And they honestly had no clue where that icon originated (they do now!).

A co-worker walked into my office a couple of years ago with a 5.25" floppy containing the ONLY copy of some process control software for one of our stations. I have a rep for being technically astute and he wanted to know if I could retrieve the file.

I couldn’t find anybody in this good-sized town with a working floppy drive. However, there are people on the Internet who’ll perform the service for a small fee. We got the files back on a DVD.

6 Likes

There is NO way that I grew in the same world and think the same as someone born in 1995… I had a rotary dial phone and they had the internet. Who makes this malarkey up?! lol

8 Likes

Lol I have no clue! But whatever they are doing they are making $$$ with these “workshops”

2 Likes

Question unique to me:

I ordered a basic (no filter) on 10/2/15. I then upgraded to a pro (still no filter) on 10/21/15.

Is my Pro-order-date the 21st or the 2nd? From the sound of it those few weeks could mean a difference of months in shipping.

1 Like

Upgrading doesn’t change your initial order date, nothing to fear

3 Likes

Hi Joshua,
I wish… I am literally down the street from the factory, and I know the some of the guys doing the build and I could not get Dan to agree to save on the shipping but I did ask.

3 Likes

:slight_smile: Yeah it’s a bit broad. Especially over the past few decades. Change is accelerating. And many of the “GenX” or GenY" trends and thought processes are filtering into the other generations - smartphone use is almost ubiquitous amongst all generations now and social media reaches deep into the boomers as well as all the way back to today’s new-teens.

But you need to define the cohorts somewhere and the traditional 20 year/generation is a handy reference for data analysis. It’s never been a great measure because there are sub-components of a “generation” that overlap - where the babies are being born every 15 years instead of 20 or 40 years instead of 20. Those tend to be outliers for sweeping societal and attitudinal change (at least in the past).

2 Likes

I glanced over the past 656 messages, but I have a question.

I’m wondering how much candy the “Umpa lumpa’s” can crank out. Then, we can determine if we will all be fat and happy soon. If they can do 10 a day then we can get the machines in days instead of 10 machines a month.

Just curious. I ordered Oct 18th, 2015, And it is worth the wait from what I am seeing created so far. I have my bench cleared out and waiting.

Thanks
Eric

7 Likes

Keep in mind that Basic models are shipping first, as June 1st, (until the Pro’s start shipping June 30th) and that as production increases then the emails (asking if you want your GF :glowforge:) going out will increase.

The schedule is in the June 2017 Update

1 Like

sure, although 10 a day would still take forever for people to get all their orders. i’m hopeful production will ramp up, though you never know; hardware is hard, and they’ve run into unexpected issues before.

it may end up being difficult to scale without subverting QA.

1 Like

What constitutes a regular though? I read the forum and updates all the time. I don’t regularly contribute to threads because:

A: I don’t see the point in complaining about things I can’t control.
and…
B: I don’t have a Glowforge unit, therefore I have nothing to report upon.

So, how do I become a “regular” who gets pushed up the queue?

Just wondering because that seems a little unfair as we have all waited a long, long time… and some of us even patiently.

4 Likes