Discussion of March '17 update

Left over Pizza is one of the best fridge surprises…ever.

7 Likes

I used to remember it that way! But then they screwed it up and now we… what… Winter forward? And yeah, Autumn back. We gotta re-think the ol’ rhyme here.

2 Likes

I think you’ll find that it’s actually “lenten forward” and “harvest back” :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Did anyone reach a conclusion on this, is the life estimation 2k or 10k?

He said he thinks 10k. It’s in a post somewhere

1 Like

Thats just it, I can’t find it.

I can find the time estimates:

My memory is almost infallible when it comes to this forum. The post you have linked was the most clear estimate that I remember in more that 17 months. (many thousands of hours, 2 years…) Don’t ever remember him saying anything close to the 10,000 hours before the post above. Not saying it isn’t true, just that my jaw would have hit the floor if I had read such a thing.

7 Likes

So… I get it… Glowforge isn’t going to support users replacing their tubes. That’s a problem for those of us internationally. However, if you’re using a custom/propriety tube that can’t be sourced elsewhere… are you going to provide it for sale?

I’d rather void my warranty and change the tube myself, than spend $1000 shipping the unit back and forth for what seems like a fairly simple job for anybody mechanically inclined.

The idea of certifying people to replace it in different areas is a sensible compromise. I’d be up for that. Shipping back isn’t an option… buying a different unit is.

There is an update to the update, they are going to allow you to replace the tube, or you can ship it back for them to do it.

5 Likes

I have heard that the 10,000 hour figure is total hours of tube existence, not hours of use. So that’s 1 year, 1 month, and 21 days, less however long it took to get from the factory to you.

Edit: this is hearsay, not fact… would love to have an expert weigh in.

1 Like

Heard where?

Someone on the Facebook group. Doesn’t sound right to me, but 10,000 use hours also seems insanely long (running 8 hours a day would mean it would last almost 3 and a half years.) I know there are other factors at play (CO2 -> CO + O2 due to use, etc.) but I would love to see an expert’s interpretation of the 10,000 hour figure vs. the “2 year with moderate use” figure.

5 Likes

Or worst.

2 Likes

Depends on how often you open your refrigerator…

8 Likes

FB is nonsense.

CO2 laser tubes last way more than 10,000 hours of existence. They also can last 10,000 or more (I think @smcgathyfay has a tube with 16,000 hours on it). But they typically don’t . The general rule of thumb for generic tubes is about 2,000 hours of use. And yes, that is a long time of use.

The trouble is that it depends on how hard the use is - is it mostly engraving or cutting, is it thin stuff low power/high speed or thick high power low speed…A lot like car mileage estimates - all depends on the type of driving you do.

5 Likes

search for “@dan 10k”. im sure something will come up

10k hours would be basically running it a 40 hour work week for 5 years, allowing for 2 weeks vacation each year. No doubt that would be awesome but it doesnt sound like glass tube lasers actually last anywhere near that.

2 Likes

Updated to quote the post, thanks @Tom_A !

It’s #348 in this very thread. But he qualified that the 10k number was from memory. I’d guess the lower number, often referenced, is more reliable.

1 Like

If you just highlight the text you want to quote, a “Quote” button will appear allowing you to quote. You can also use the Link button below the post to link directly to that post.

1 Like

@smcgathyfay has a couple of tubes like that - I think she said her 16,000 hour tube is a record for ULS and they know it.

1 Like