Discussion of October 2017 update

It’s from the December / March delay

1 Like

I’ve managed complex engineering projects before. One does not get within 3 weeks of their delivery date before realizing that it’s going to take another 6 months to finish.

10 Likes

I expected a delay past Oct, and figured I would be meh about it, but I’m mad.

I expected a small delay past Oct, not the 2 months I got and I’m one of the lucky ones. I saw on facebook people ordering 1 day after me that are in mid January. This is just out of control. I’d be interested in a poll to see if there is anyone that would have purchased a Glowforge if they knew 2 years ago that they would be waiting 2+ years.

5 Likes

I definitely would not have. I don’t think I am the only one or the 1001’st one.

1 Like

I wouldn’t have

Nope

@dan Did Canadian customers get put on the back burner?
I placed my order on 9/28/2015… four days after the campaign started?
I just got the email that my unit will not ship until Feb 28, 2018.

What’s really going on?

1 Like

Unfortunately international shipments start later than domestic, and some countries will take longer to start than others based on both logistics and regulations. This schedule attempts to forecast that for everyone.

Weirdly enough, I think I would have. Because I wasn’t really in the market for a laser when I stumbled across that slick glowforge promo video. I bought in because I wanted the whole user-friendly, dont-worry-about-how-it-works aspect. I don’t really need a laser; I want a glowforge. There’s not really any competition for that part of it, even now, 2 years later.

But it would have been a much more pleasant two years had I just known about all the delays upfront. You know, compartmentalize the whole thing and then just be excited when it shows up and I haven’t really invested a lot of time thinking about it. This whole pushing it back every 3 to 6 months has been really tiring. Especially in retrospect.

10 Likes

@dan To be honest I’m quite saddened by the delays and see from the user spreadsheet that some lucky folks who had placed orders after I had have already received their units. Some for a few months already.

I fail to see why there would be logistical delays for a shipment to Canada. I receive products from Amazon, Ebay, Ali all the time.

If there are regulatory delays, could you please elaborate and provide some insight? It’s easy to say that there are delays out of your control… and for many customers that might be enough of an excuse. However, you know that the customers here are more inquisitive than your run of the mill customers…

4 Likes

@dan Hey, that was pretty funny. You almost got me with my estimated date of March 27, 2018. Good thing I’m smart enough to realize that glowforge really wouldn’t let me wait near another 6 months…again while tons of other founders will have theirs in plenty of time for things like fall and winter holidays.

So I know it’s a hard long road. I get that. But you’re going to have to give your international customers more notice so they don’t suffer so long. Feel free to review and get back to me and anyone else that has to wait until March that order during the campaign with at least something that is remotely more fair.

5 Likes

Unfortunately we can’t explain international regulatory considerations, as we might be liable for the results.

It’s actually further out than March 27th, there could be up to 6 weeks of a wait from that date. All contingent upon you getting back to them ASAP with your shipping information as well as no delay in shipping. You could be looking at a June delivery.

By more notice, I meant more effort. The editing in a mobile device here isn’t so great sometimes.

Basic, 2016-05-07

Just received my email - I ordered in 10/23 and they say the shipping date is January 25. I have a feeling it will be more like April sometime because we all know how awful this company is with promises and time tables.

IF I am to believe the promised date does this mean it will actually be shipping by this date or I will be my “golden” email by this date and still have to wait 6 more weeks after that? If that’s the case I will be canceling my order, as I promised my husband I would if it drug into 2018.

I am so saddened, this company has been the biggest let down to me and I hate that I feel like this "shipping date is yet another ruse to keep our money a little longer. I have learned my lesson and will never preorder something again

4 Likes

I ordered one hoping to have it in time for my thesis year in architecture school, two years passed and so did my last year in school. At this point, I’m too stubborn to get my money back and too disappointed to maintain any excitement.

9 Likes

I would not have - no way in the world. I feel like I have been lied to for 2 years. I know we can cancel at anytime but at some point you think I have 2 years into this… what is another few months but this time I’m really over it and am really thinking about canceling on principle

2 Likes

Ordered the GF Basic on Oct 21, 2015. Estimated shipping now at Dec 12, 2017. Email says filter will ship May 6, 2018. I was really stoked about the Glowforge and have kept the faith, but the experience has definitely been tainted. This is it for me- at some point you have to draw the line. Mine is Dec 12, 2017. If there is another delay email, I’m out. Sucks that GF has been earning interest on my money. Makes me feel like a freaking tool.

At this point I’ll start the search for another laser cutter. My wife and kids were super excited, so I’ll find something else that works. Even if I had to pay another $2K it would be worth it for a product that is functioning and would be in my hands in a few days. Lesson learned.

3 Likes

Pro ordered on 10/22/2015… shipping notification 11/17/2017, Filter 5/12/2018. Uncle and I went in on this together, we’re still in, even if we’re going to miss yet another Christmas

2 Likes