Discussion of October 2017 update

I would assume 3 weeks from the time you accept delivery and give them shipping info, plus or minus a week. 3 weeks is the average and nearly everyone seems to be in the 2-4 week range.

Sign up for UPS My Choice. Not only will you likely get a shipping notification through that at least a day before GF sends you a tracking number but you can also use UPS My Choice to reschedule delivery or to tell them to hold it at your local UPS shipping center for you to pick up at your convenience. (That also avoids any possible last-mile damage on the truck that would come to your house.)

1 Like

If @dan is willing to pay for import fees that would help to soften the blow of the constant delays.
as I said I am among the first to have made the purchase, maybe the first in Canada.
Paid on September 24th 2015
it will be 880 days (almost 2 years and 1/2) from payment to shipping IF these dates hold this time.
I run a business and yes I had plans to incorporate the GF in my process and products. I had plans to retired my CNC for engraving and doing light 2D cuts and I had a buyer for it too… Good thing I did not sell it yet.

I am sure that we all have similar stories of losing money over this and the situation with the International shipping is not helping. I just do not feel special anymore to be one of the original backer and one who helped to steer many in the path of purchase of a GF.

4 Likes

It doesn’t. I did the same and got my Pro “Do you want it” email right in line as if I had ordered a Pro on the day I ordered the basic.

I have Shipping Date 11/6/2017 for Pro unit

2 Questions:

1. “You’ll have the choice of receiving your Glowforge printer when it’s ready (and using a window or dryer vent for the exhaust until your Air Filter arrives), or holding delivery until it is ready.” WHEN DO I HAVE THAT CHOICE? I WANT the MACHINE ASAP without the Filter. How do I assure my ship date is not passed up bc I fail to communicate this?

2. “On or before that date, you’ll receive an email from us, at which time we’ll collect your current shipping address and initiate the shipping process for delivery in up to six weeks (usually less).” Does this mean that although my Ship Date says 11/6/17 that it may take 6 weeks from that date to arrive?

Any help on the above would be helpful.
Cheers, Cold Mountain

1. You will have that choice when you get the email in #2

2. Yes.

2 Likes

11/6 is the approximate date you will receive the email from Glowforge asking if you want your unit now or wait until the filter is ready.

If you say ship it, you will give your shipping address and then you’ll get your Glowforge 4-6 weeks later. (Most people have been getting their GF around 4 weeks after the email).

On (or at least around) November 6 you’ll receive an email directing you to a page on the Glowforge website. There you’ll be given a description of the current state of the Glowforge you ordered, including a list of what is done and what features will arrive in future software updates. You’ll then be given the option to either accept delivery or delay it until the air filter is ready (as well as a few other reasons for choosing to delay it).

Once you click the “I want my Glowforge now!” button it will ask for your address. From the point at which you provide your address you should receive your GF within six weeks. You’ll get your free Proofgrade sample pack first (most likely within a week) and then it will probably be another week or two before you actually receive the Glowforge.

The current average according the the spreadsheet is just under 3 weeks. (Twenty point something days.)

There are several people in various FB groups saying it took 4 weeks to get theirs (but these people aren’t posting in the forum). I guess it depends on how quickly you respond to the GF email.

And there’s other people who have gotten it in 2 weeks. And the very first Pro took an entire six weeks. But on average it’s about 3 weeks.

So let me get this straight, there is another push back? Now you’ve gone back on yet another promise to get the glowforge units to the backers by the end of October?
I’ve been real silent, but this is crap.
So instead of the end of October, I’m now waiting until the end of November. Smh
Totally disappointed. So many opportunities lost because of all the push backs.

1 Like

Regarding the international certifications, I can speak from some experience as I deal with this constantly on a much more complicated product sold worldwide. It can sometimes be very tricky. A lot of understanding the certification is interpretation. It is certainly not always black and white. The other part that causes issues is when you design something vs when you manufacture it. Even if you design something to meet the certifications at that time, you have to meet the current certifications at the time of manufacture depending on the code implementation rules. So if there is a year between designing something and building it, there could be unexpected changes to the rules that you now have to sort through last minute. It’s possible something like this happened based on the time frame of this particular product. My 2 cents anyways.

7 Likes

Thank you Dan for giving more info on the banner. Sorry but it is still a lit bit confusing for me. Are you saying that international shipping has also started? If so, can you give us the country where you are already shipping?

International shipping to any country won’t start until January or so.

That’s what I thought. So from soon last week, we moved to at least two months…

1 Like

I believe Dan said SOMEWHERE on the forum that they have a date of Feb 1st to start international.

2 Likes

I originally typed late January or early February because I am too lazy to look for the reference with a phone. So just added the “or so”. Safe to say “not yet” and your memory might be correct.

2 Likes

A few knocks to the head has made my memory a little flaky at times but I DO remember reading that :stuck_out_tongue:

My “shipping” date is Jan 24th but dispatch won’t be in January unless they change how they operate. Not home until Feb anyway.

I’m guessing you’re referring to the date under your account on the GlowForge site. Note that is a SHIPPING NOTIFICATION DATE, which indicates when you will receive your email notification that the shipping process can start. You would not actually receive your GlowForge until after you respond to the email, and based on what I’ve read, it would arrive 2-6 weeks after you respond. So you should be fine.