Discussion of October 2017 update

Looks good on videos but it blows smoke over the exposed material. For cleanest results it should go top to bottom so it blows away from the area it has just engraved.

4 Likes

What is the 3D Scanner? Sounds interesting.

They became a thing when 3D printing emerged from the nerd/techno dungeons.
So many 3D image concepts came out of the woodwork it was hard to keep up with them.

I was using a really nice setup that worked well with a laser scan line that I had rigged up from a laser leveling line tool hack. Statues, people, etc.

Problems arose because it is a crime to laser animals or people in my area (the feds take care of moving vehicles including bicycles). So me wandering around town pointing a laser at things became a concern.

There is also a hack I played with using a Kinect that sort of worked.

We are a long way from those rough and tumble times though. Out of the box experience is the word of the day.
Search for “3D Scanner” and you will see them from small Maker and HP setups to huge production jobs. OR from $500 to $30,000+.
Advise lurking thru reviews before making a selection. Results vary.

1 Like

(removed the cartoon @#@# swearing/swearing) since i assume this was the reason a over zealous admin flagged my post for inappropriateness)

I just logged into the GF site on a whim and decided to check my “delivery date” which went from Oct 31st, to Nov 30. Which Nov 30th was in the email they sent to me after they said they wouldn’t make the 31st. NOW its DEC 15th! thanks dan, thanks. #disapointed #worstcompanyever #frustrated #pissedoff

The funny thing is I got the “you’ve got a glowforge” welcome message (but do I really hmmmm) and “hey! you could get $100 off if you refer a friend!” and i’m thinking I would only refer an enemy to purchase a glowforge at this point. There go any/all plans I had to use the GF for yet another Christmas season of gifts and toys. #overit #fml #fgf #sigh

btw I’m day 20 for a basic, so no way their “special” “we’re on day 24/29 for shipping” is accurate in the slightest!

Flagged for excessive hashtagging.

10 Likes

If you are in the US, you may want to send an email to support@glowforge.com and ask about your shipping status. It’s possible that they sent you an email for shipping info and you did not respond so they rescheduled you. (The email may have gone to spam folder, may have been missed by you, etc.)

No. I don’t have “triggers.” That was a joke. Relax.

4 Likes

heh heh
I have noticed myself that any sarcasm here gets people standing up from their chairs.
Have to be like Sgt. Friday.
“The Facts Ma’am. Just The Facts.” (everybody knows he said that, even though he never did).

5 Likes

I should’ve ended my post with #sarcasm #jklol

7 Likes

sorry my friend, i’ve have been a little bit extra salty today because of work, and then to login here to realize that my ship date had again been pushed out, then to get my post removed, i snap’d, and took my frustration out on you and your comment. Again, i apologize… I’ll try and take my own advice and just not comment, until a good hour after a post so i don’t fly off the handle at total strangers.

2 Likes

I second that. Dan had a post in the past couple of days where he said that every reported case of someone being skipped over in favor of someone later with the same order (type, US) was due to it not really being that at all. People were misremembering order dates, etc.

If you’re US and your order date has been passed by the status page for the machine type you bought, a note to Support would be appropriate.

We need to agree upon a sarcasm emoji. That would make things so much simpler to decipher. I bet @rpegg would agree.

3 Likes

I’m guessing your order date is October 13 since that is day 20 of the campaign. If so and it is the U.S. you should have gotten your email already and you should ask support if they sent one that got eaten by a spam filter or something.

The estimated date you’ve got sounds more like folks who ordered a basic on Oct. 20 (Day 27, if I’ve got the math right).

1 Like

Will there be a November update? I am anxious to hear what is happening with the filter.

5 Likes

<emoji type=‘sarcasm’>Phew… one more hash tag and I would have flagged you. </emoji>

2 Likes

I am a very happy man tonight. I got my letter! I wasn’t expecting it until the end of November. Now I anxiously await the arrival! I ordered a Pro unit on the last day of the campaign.

4 Likes

I do wish they’d be more direct about the current shipping date at the top. Shipping date != email date.

I ordered my Basic unit on the Oct 14th, and I only got my “would you like your glowforge” email a week ago.

I’ve also been told by their support that the $20/month credit accrual stops the day they sent the email (probably why they label it as “shipping” in the top banner,) even if we have to wait another 3-6 weeks to receive a unit, not to mention another 6 months for the air filter. Given that, I decided to receive my unit now. But the air filter was one of the main reasons I ordered myself a glowforge. Feel like I’m getting half the product while the warranty runs out.

I don’t know if @dan or anybody has mentioned anything, but anyone know if the 10% discount for founder status members are still set to expire at the end of this year? Given that 2017 expiration date for the discount was announced in April of last year, I’m hoping Glowforge would extend that by another year. I don’t want to bulk order something now without having to even touch a glowforge unit.

2 Likes

It is the eora 3D scanner. I don’t have it yet but they say they will ship them all by the end of the month. Where have I heard that before? :wink:

1 Like

Also, what does it mean when my account page has estimated shipping date for the air filter, but my basic unit is not mentioned?

From reading the comments, I think I like my chances here better for now. The 3D Scanner has the potential to be awesome. Keep us informed about it because it’s a great complement to the :glowforge:.