Discussion of October 2017 update

Setting aside all the other odd things GF has done, you raise a good point about wanting to close the books on the more expensive units for some yearend reporting. This seems like something any business would do.

1 Like

They probably thought they could handle it. I think most businesses think they could handle a 5x increase in sales.

As a business, do you shut the door and drive people to your competition, increasing your competitionā€™s sales? or do you try to accommodate them in order to establish yourself as the fastest growing CO2 laser company?

I tried to look up annual CO2 lasers sales. All I could find was projected sales dollars for 2015 by Forbes. I was hoping I could find estimated units sold, or total number of manufacturers since there are many units that are more expensive and less expensive. If the report is true, then GF made up 8-10% of total CO2 sales by income in 2015 with the preorder campaign already alone. That is mighty impressive for a new company. If you include the post-perorder sales, then they are even bigger. (I donā€™t know end of 2015 sales numbers, but by Feb 2016 they had made over $40 million in sales)

3 Likes

Yup, one of the ā€˜Cardinal Rulesā€™ i look for is the ā€˜10% Ruleā€™: ā€œEach 10% of Growth above 10% increases exponentially increases Riskā€

I read it WAAAAY back when i first started to buy property and it has served me well ever since both in assessing my own Risk and for my Clients

2 Likes

A bit off topic but this is an email I received today for a Kickstarter project I backed about the same as I ordered the Glowforge.

It is for a 3D scanner and I had actually forgotten about this project for about a year or so. They have had a number of issues as well but at least they were a bit more forthcoming on the delays.

Anybody want to place bets on which one arrives first? Double points if they come on the same delivery truck. :smiley:

Iā€™m putting my money on Thanksgiving week when I am out of town. :wink:

4 Likes

Might want to sign up for MyChoice and make them separate deliveries.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL

I am signed up for MyChoice and there is a very good chance they will both arrive the week Iā€™m out of town. After two yearsā€¦ Sorry we missed you. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you for giving me tips on alternative!

i paid for a (approx) $4000USD unit that is now valued at $8000USD, and if i bought it locally, (assuming i could) the price here after currency conversion, import costs and the profit markup, could well be double or triple what i paid. i still believe that waiting this out is the right call. but iā€™m international, your situation may be different.

those prices donā€™t include the shipping costs.

3 Likes

Update:
Got the shipment for the extra proof grade materials ordered last week. UPS tracking went out at each step (I have My Choice already). Still havenā€™t gotten any notification of impending shipment for the main unit, crumb tray, or standard goodies box.

1 Like

Keep checking your shipping date on your account.
MINE JUST DELAYED AN ADDITIONAL 2 WEEKS.

Ordered my Pro on day 28. They are saying that they are on day 29. I havenā€™t received my email about shipping address. Do I need to contact them or? I am in Dallas, TX so not an international order.

Ship status says Nov 4th

ā€¦ I have checked my spam folder and have rules setup for the correct emailsā€¦

@dan

Donā€™t think you need to contact Support yet. Not sure how accurate the banner is but they have at least started Day 28. Would trust the Nov 4 date as an indication you arenā€™t up yet. Sometimes it shortens at the last minute but still seems to indicate a couple more days.

OK thanks!

1 Like

Yep was the 2nd now itā€™s the 12thā€¦and the saga continues

Pretty sure Dan credits @bailey with the decision to engrave bottom to top, so that you can watch the engrave unveil, instead of having the head and gantry hide what was just completed.

6 Likes

I got my email on the 31st. I did all of my steps so Iā€™m in the 6 week waiting pool for it to show up.
I am a pro order on 10/21

1 Like

As an international backer (UK) just waiting for an update from Dan saying they have it all sorted and are starting the send out shipping emails. Got a Feb13th date for the email, but I will not be holding my breath, with the current slippage I expect I might get mine in Spring next year (well maybe Summer)

Disapointed to have another winter without my Glowforge, but sill excited about getting it eventually.

Someone smarter then me help me out. If they are truly shipping day 24 orders, even if they take 1 to 2 weeks per day shouldnā€™t day 26 and even some day 27 folks be getting emails?

If you are looking at the header up top, in Glowforge land, shipping day 24 (or 29 pro)= sending out emails for those days. Up to another 6 weeks to actually ship/receive your unit, though it seems most are getting them in 2-3 weeks.

What a smart idea!