Discussion of October 2017 update

Yes, I saw that. That doesn’t mean it will be individualized to each purchaser. There are two groups already. The original preorder campaign and all subsequent orders. Every timeline they’ve used previously has those two groups split on delivery date… thus that statement could easily be saying that you’ll get an email telling you the new delivery date based on you’re order date (meaning your group)… i.e. just another general delivery prediction.

1 Like

It says it in more definite terms at the bottom of the update:

If you haven’t received your Glowforge shipping email yet, you’ll hear from us next week with a shipping update that is specific to your order.

7 Likes

And to everyone else who persists in this: there was never a Kickstarter.

5 Likes

Aha, that’s the bit I should have quoted to start with. I knew I’d remembered reading that, but I just grabbed the first mention of email I saw (which was in bold, hence quite eye-catching).

2 Likes

KS is just shorthand for crowdfunding now.the platform doesn’t particularly matter

3 Likes

I hope that’s what it means. That’s just not how I read it. Especially considering that’s far more useful info than has EVER been offered thus far.
It’s also less believable personally. They can’t seem to predict the broad strokes of when orders go out. Why would I assume they can get an accurate estimate for every single specific order.

1 Like

Noted. GlowForge was the largest crowed funded campaign. The previous record holder was the Pebble watch on Kickstarter. I guess the people who are using the trade mark “Kickstarter” should be using the generic term “crowd funded” instead.

1 Like

If it’s less believable feel free to delete without reading so as to not get your hopes up? :slight_smile:

Sounds like they are damned if they do, damned if they don’t with a lot of people. Everyone asked for order specific information and a commitment was established to do just that - and nobody is happy with it. :confounded:

10 Likes

Yeah… no sympathy from me. Its true that people have clamored for more info forever but when a company keeps people in the dark for ages and then delays delivery again and again, they lose the customers trust. The whole “damed if they do, damned if they dont” idea is completely of their own making. You only get so much leeway.

1 Like

Not trying to change your mind or make any kind of “breakthrough” to you. I get venting. I get being frustrated. I get the waiting and the thoughts on communication, etc. I get some people are glass half empty and some half full. Some people thrive on negativity and some thrive on positivity. It is what it is.

If I were still waiting, and I’m luckily not at this point, I think I’d feel comforted by the fact that Glowforge feels that they are at a point in the process with production, etc. where they can actually give this kind of information. But - we all have our own world views and perspectives.

Good luck. Hope yours is received soon and you get to make some really cool things for your instruments.

4 Likes

This is certainly true for some of the customers posting here. It is not true for all of us.

We can each choose how to respond to the information that has been shared by the company at each point.

I was a Day 5 Pro customer. I just got my email today, but if you look back on my posts you’ll see that my attitude has remained hopeful and trusting throughout the wait.

Part of that is that I have enough experience bringing software products (both as management and individual contributor) to market that I could read the sincerity in their communications.

So I commiserate with you, and validate that your have plenty of reason to feel as you do. @dan has also apologized—sincerely, I believe—at each delay. That does not mean that you need to feel better about it. Similarly, though, it is not required that anyone else needs to agree with your beliefs.

8 Likes

I’m really not sure why you’re even making that point. I never said anyone has to agree with my feelings on the matter. I was responding to someone’s point that some people aren’t happy with gf’s course of actions and I was merely stating why that is. Not that everyone is or should be. Just explaining a viewpoint. If you’re happy with how it all shook out, good for you.

2 Likes

I listened to a really great TED Talk a few years ago byBarry Schwartz. He offered that the key to happiness is to lower your expectations.

11 Likes

Im aboard too, please!!

“First units shipping December!” (2015)

Bazinga!!

6 Likes

Doesn’t dishonesty imply the intent to deceive another maliciously? Perhaps they were most guilty of deceiving themselves. This is one of those recurrent points that comes up at each delay’s discussion. I keep puzzling over it. And the ethic/business tactic of withholding critical information for strategic protection in a competitive business? Lying?

10 Likes

Say what??

“$27,907,995 SOLD IN 30 DAYS
THE BIGGEST 30-DAY CROWDFUNDING CAMPAIGN IN HISTORY” - glowforge.com

The comparison crowdfunding<>kickstarter is perfectly FINE.

2 Likes

Muddy waters… So so so thin line between maliciousness and misleading marketing to gain high stream cash…

For a product that was launched to the crowd (as per dans blog) without even being true, that’s missleading.

I don’t think “irresponsible” is a good substitute in this case, but that’s my opinion, which I’m entitled to.

1 Like

European Alternatives? Yes please - I‘ve had it up to here with „America first“ at this stage… if you could send me a PM, that‘d be fab.

3 Likes

New stories.

2 Likes