Discussion of October 2019 Update

Discussion of the October Update

9 Likes

First to tell that it is great great news! Thanks Rita.

Marc

2 Likes

Just wondering what qualifies it as a Plus when new ones ship with a 40w instead of the 45w tube?

10 Likes

Thank you so much to all at :glowforge: for the amazing improvements! I’ll be testing them out later today!

3 Likes

Our Plus units are shipping with all the features above, but new Plus units will ship with a 40 watt tube instead of a 45 watt tube.

Well that’s interesting. I thought the higher power was the whole draw here? I guess I better go look at the product page to see why someone would want the plus.

7 Likes

2x Engrave speed and warranty, for those not wanting to go look.

7 Likes

Nice improvements! Glad to see your engineering team is creating some nice feature improvements, and looking forward to continued great things.

1 Like

Love the corner fix. That’s been an issue since PRU days!

11 Likes

It says the increased speed is a beta feature… when can we expect to see it on our machines? Will it roll out like Snapmarks did, some machines get it every now and then? Or will it be like Set Focus, where once the machines update it is just there for everyone? (At work with machines turned off back home, so not sure if they need to be on to update the interface or not, but currently seeing no enhanced speed options)

2 Likes

You should have it next time you power up your machine. Beta just means there may be issues.

2 Likes

Love the fact that new features get implemented over time. It’s what makes the whole thing about the Glowforge requiring the internet to work actually worth it.
Does anybody know if there’s a physical / mechanical difference that would allow the Pro version to run at 4.2 and the Basic to only run at 1.4 ? Is it simply because of original $$ investment in the unit?

2 Likes

My machine’s powered up now and I don’t see any new speed options on my engraves, still maxes at 1000. I checked both vector and raster engraves.

Edit: Email just received from Glowforge announcing the changes. It says “Over the next week, you’ll see new manual settings available…”

1 Like

They’ve said since the beginning that the Pro machine had faster motors in it, but we had no evidence of that until now

3 Likes

There’s a lot of great features here :slight_smile: I’m reasonably sure the changes are for everyone, just give them time to get it rolled out.

1 Like

standing applause
thanks for improving on a product you already sold me years ago. This tells me a lot about the company and its commitments to customers.
My GF is out of commission do to renovations, but I can’t wait to fire it up again. fixing the corner burn is SUPER important for my projects. that’s my fav update.

5 Likes

I am curious, since one of the reasons I got the Plus was the 45 watt vs 40 watt tube… why the decision to go backwards on that?

3 Likes

This is really excellent, the corner fix in particular! Speed of cutting is also a nice improvement, but improving quality of the final output for all my existing designs is the real winner for me!

1 Like

Concerning the speed announcement, will this require a re doing of my custom cutting/engraving test for my not proofgrade material? Just to know. Or does the current speed still the same value? So my current setting still work?

Thanks

1 Like

I had mentioned this in the international shipping update but I’ll mention it here too. Super happy that proofgrade can ship to Canada now but I’m extremely turned off by the price.

I added 10 sheets of plywood to a cart and got to the shipping page and was kinda shocked by the price. $113.57 USD in shipping is a tad crazy. That brings my total to $273.57 USD or 357.77 CAD.
I was able to get 10 sheets shipped through fedex from a friend in the US at a cost of 65 USD. My charges from another supplier in the US are usually within the 50 to 70 USD range as well, often for 10-12 sheets of 12x24 material.

Is there a reason for the large cost jump in shipping? Is that something you will be looking at in the future? This amount of charge means the store is pretty cost prohibitive for a small business like mine and I know I’m not alone in this.

2 Likes

Reasonably certain Proofgrade settings change in the background with no notice. So once they figure out good quality settings with higher speed, they will certainly change.

Manually saved settings should all save at the speed you had them set for initially. So if you don’t have the update yet, go in to each proofgrade material you normally use and save a copy of the settings for your own future use.

I am pretty sure that at some point they also changed out the QR codes on the materials so that older materials would use older settings. But that could be a faulty memory.

4 Likes