Discussion of October 2019 Update

BTW… One thing I noticed in the thread was someone mentioning another update so the small detail items not requiring a full sweep across the entire design. that’s one of the problems I am having right now, where detail work at the center of the objects is running the head across the entire design and cutting single pixels. could I be missing some updates on my GlowForge? I don’t use it all that often (work is really busy) and this was a hobby purchase.

No, updates happen automatically when you power on. There are some techniques for fixing what you’re doing – post over in BTM as @evansd2 suggested, and you’ll get your answers. :slight_smile:

Will do…

Not sure how the update mechanism works with Glowforge, hopefully everything is done via roll up patches. my Glowforge has been offline for a while.

Is there a way to check my Glowforge locally? SSH access perhaps?

You can access the firmware version via the logs, but that doesn’t help you much unless you know the unpublished current version. Additionally, the use another service for the software/app rollouts that relies on whatever account flags to determine what’s enabled and not.

The full sweep is called framing. The Glowforge by default should only go as far as needed around a graphic - but what you are likely seeing is overshoot from where the head has to stop and turn around from whatever assigned speed.

1 Like

I would much prefer some transparency into the overall process, as well as local console access to confirm settings, features which are enabled, features which are not enabled, manual upgrade options along with Firmware changelogs and a location where GlowForge owners can download updates, patches etc…

Personally, I’m not someone who would prefer that everything is managed for them with no visibility into what is being managed or how and when it happens.

Glad that I put my Glowforge on an fairly isolated enclave network in my home office.

Boy, I’d love to have the update guys. This is like waiting for a Makerknife!

2 Likes

Because Support doesn’t have enough to deal with already. :wink:

This is the main reason I cannot recommend this product to my more technically inclined friends. I would love these features too!

Glowforge seems too afraid that a competitor will steal their “secrets”… :roll_eyes:

When done right, secrets aren’t divulged by providing access to the local hardware.

I am definitely on the higher end of the technical spectrum for both work and hobbyist time. So this is something I’d appreciate if delivered via an enhancement.

Regarding the support aspects, “Developer Mode” usually comes with the caveat of some things being officially “unsupported” when trying to dive deep. In which case, the user would have to reset to “supported mode” and replicate an issue before requiring support intervention.

From what I am gathering in the threads, the company has a great deal of visibility into what’s going on at the local system level, so that should be something easily identified by Support.

Hence, my quotes. I’ve spent a long time doing this dance: adding “security” to make my CEO happy and tearing apart the competitors’ “security” to see what they are doing. It’s mostly just a huge waste of time and effort, the competition will always find what you are trying to keep hidden.

IMHO it’s better to embrace openness and release the details. Just imagine the amazing things we’d be able to do with something as simple as knowing how to make a motion file and having the capability to upload it. This community would find many bugs, figure out how to optimize routing, etc. It’s basically free labor for Glowforge.

As you said, they could just make a developer/advanced mode with the caveat you don’t get support until you swap back to standard mode.

This part actually terrifies me. From what I’ve gathered on the forums they have the ability to connect/log into to a Glowforge on someones home network. Definitely best to keep it on an isolated vlan.

2 Likes

Agree on all points!

Disclosure and Access allows certain parts of any community to provide feedback which enhances not only the products, but also the integrity of the systems involved. especially for those who choose not to use their powers for evil.

Given what I do for work, I have full visibility into literally everything on my home networks (plural). In the case of IOT and some other vendor products I have owned in the past, with visibility comes the unfortunate case of sometimes seeing things you can never “un-see”.

In all cases responsible parties should bring that information as feedback to the Product Dev teams, which then results in better, secure and more stable products for everyone.

Update rollouts are the exact reason I would never recommend this product to anyone, period.

As for secrets, there really aren’t any. It’s a two axis CNC machine with a variable powered laser. I have a lesser powered one crudely bolted on to my X-Carve.

Update rollouts are the exact reason I recommend this product every time it comes up - how many companies continue to improve a product LONG after you bought it!? Tesla does…any one else other than GF?

5 Likes

Well TiVo does too… although some would say that the new UI4 interface is a downgrade rather than an upgrade…

But your point is a great one!

1 Like

Ooh yeah - I love my TiVo, but due to living situations haven’t had it hooked up in a few years. Good one :slight_smile:

Apple, Microsoft, Google, Nvidia, iRobot, Fitbit, Nikon, Sony… ?

Our up to 4.2x speed increase is a great upgrade, but this company and Tesla are not the only tech companies to give you more features after you bought something.

3 Likes

My Vizios have Apple Air Play now, which I’m happy about. I would be really disappointed if things didn’t update along the way. Sometimes features get removed. :man_shrugging:t2:

I’m a little confused about not recommending something just because you can’t control it down the nth degree, or control the updates, etc. but to each their own, I figure.

It’s just a simple 2-axis CNC with a variable power supply. Shouldn’t be too hard to build where you can control the updates, right?

6 Likes

The 3D printer I use has had continuous hardware and software improvements since its inception on Kickstarter almost 6 years ago. They had to implement a software license fee to help pay for it, but they continue to put out new versions every 3-4 months.

Apple & Google both recommend you buy completely new hardware every year. Yes they do security patches and the like, but true improvements are saved for the next model (remember, we’re talking hardware here). I have never received an update to my iRobot. The only updates I’ve received on my Nvidia have been integration ones - not changes to speed or dpi or the like. Microsoft is pretty much in the same boat as Apple and Google. I don’t think Sony even does security patches… and I’ve never used Nikon or Fitbit.

True updates to a hardware system, delivered (in my case) 4+ years after I bought it, without an expectation of additional payment is pretty frickin’ rare.

2 Likes

That’s great - but they’re asking you to pay for it, so it doesn’t apply to this specific niche.