Discussion of September 2022 Update

While I appreciate finally getting at least a semblance of ‘folders’, it’s not as organizational as I was hoping for. I actually seldom use anything off my dashboard as I upload everything from my computer, so to me the dashboard is extremely cluttered and messy-looking even with the new system in place. I’ve pared that appearance down as much as I can, but with the so-called convenient catalog items piled in there, it’s still bad looking.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have a folder specifically for a user’s uploaded files. I bookmarked the My Design folder, but as noted, it also contains a lot of catalog clutter that I never use. Also, when you click out of the app using the Dashboard link, it takes you back to the Home folder, not the My Design folder.

2 Likes

I’m actually really bummed about this… Things not mentioned: 30+ day old files will automatically be deleted and you are now limited to 30 mb file size when uploading. Pretty much forcing the people who don’t use premium to buy it. Just because i can easily draw my own designs, doesn’t mean i should be punished for it.

Yeah. really upset about that too… I went and “hid” all the folders that were there to create my own.

Nice to be a founder but the 30 day limit has got to be a real PITA for non-founder, non-premium users. It would be nice if the company could give everyone some permanent storage, even if it was limited in scope.

1 Like

i would really like to move the catalog purchases out of my view - so folders might help with that. smart folders? i like the folder option, but smart? what makes them smart?

1 Like

The power pack ends up equating to a free 4 year warranty and $45 worth of free materials.

I wish there was a more affordable option for the air filter. Replacement filter cartridges are too expensive at $250 each, considering their lifespan is relatively short. If there was some way they could be reused (or have a smaller part that gets replaced) I think they would be a more realistic solution for people who need them.

1 Like

Not at all. Keep your files on your computer and store them any way you choose.

6 Likes

Exactly. “Premium” offers no value to me and if my files were deleted it would make no difference. They are organized nicely on my laptop…

The UI is just a layout tool for printing, not a design tool.

Edited to add - that’s for me, I understand there are people who can’t or don’t want to learn real design tools. I wish there was a way to just load a “print driver” for Inkscape or similar, and just print directly instead of having to upload thru the cloud. I don’t care the machine connects that way, I’ve never had an issue, it’s just wasted time to have to save a file, upload it, select materials and such.

3 Likes

or my pc :slight_smile:

So, does free shipping on orders over $100 not include Oversized?

I’m delighted to be able to tag all my designs so I don’t always have to see the stuff that I have downloaded in the past from the catalog though!

I also create my own designs and even though I do have premium, I don’t consider this feature to be a punishment. I don’t store my designs there.

1 Like

You are not forced to buy premium. Store your files on your own hard drive rather than paying Glowforge to store them. No hardship whatsoever.

2 Likes

That’s not entirely true. One of the features of using the Glowforge is the ability to execute your designs from anywhere with any device. It’s cloud based.

Therefore if you can’t reliably store your files on the cloud this effectively nerfs that feature. It’s basically required to be premium with unlimited storage to make full use of that feature.

3 Likes

There are plenty of other cloud based storage facilities if you want to store your files somewhere and have access to them no matter what device you are using. Dropbox is probably the oldest and clunkiest, but put your files in your own cloud storage and carry on.

1 Like

While this is true it’s not fair to call those solutions equivalent to storing them natively inside the ui. Using a third party cloud service requires another account and is far less convenient, especially from mobile.

Even more importantly, the dashboard stores your jobs, not simply your files. Laser settings and custom arrangements are preserved, and there’s no way to do that with a third party storage option.

Services like Dropbox are simply not a replacement for the UI storage so I stand by the idea that limited storage is a serious downgrade.

3 Likes

maybe the starting place is monthly to store files, and then monthly $$ to print. can (will?) glowforge be able to support free compute costs long term for owners that don’t pay the membership fee?

edit: also, being able to ‘print’ directly fir inkscape or other offline tool would be ‘awesome’.

By design, I think. Incentive. That’s marketing.

2 Likes

The machines have a limited lifespan so as long as they keep selling new ones they should be able to. Mine won’t last much longer.

Since the update yesterday, it’s taking at least a half hour to an hour to load my design and for it to be ready to print if it loads at all. It’s been doing it since this morning. Is anyone else having this problem? I have restarted the machine and my computer and also tried a different browser. Cleared my cache and still nothing. So frustrating!!