Discussion of September Announcement

I’m sure it doesn’t hurt!

The majority of what I dream up on a day to day basis is efficiency - getting the most done that I can in a given amount of time through all of my processes. So I have a lot of thoughts and ideas about that. Some of it reachable, some of it reachable but $$$$, and some of it just a pipe dream. And a lot of is a result of hands-on experience with a few different systems.

It doesn’t take a lot of efficiency improvement in someone’s processes to result in a $15 per month value.

IF you’re trying to make money with this thing, and Glowforge comes up with a way to save you 2.5 minutes per day, and you just pay yourself $15 an hour, premium is paid for.

9 Likes

Thanks for clarifying for me and for your positive feedback.

That’s not surprising. Once you’ve played with the Glowforge, it’s hard to justify not having a similar interface. I’m glad the other manufacturers are watching. That should make things better for everyone.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading the comments here about Snapmarks with interest. As many others have said, this is the only feature of premium that is of interest to me, and I’m disappointed in the price point for retaining this feature.

As other folks have said the Snapmarks were originally described as beta, and it was stated at the time that there might be a fee to keep them. But that has never really sat right with me.

I’ve always thought of them as a way to actually achieve one of the early promises of the Glowforge: accurate camera based positioning. As far as I can tell, using Snapmarks is the only way to reliably place your artwork using the camera. I understood accurate camera based positioning to be one of the original promises of the product; one that seems to be to still be unfulfilled all these years later, unless you use Snapmarks.

Yes, jigs can be used for accurate positioning, but that’s not “camera based.”

There is also lots of talk here about making sure that users have run the alignment process. However, right in that process it says “When you’re done with a print, if the print is more than ¼” from where you put it, you may have an alignment problem.” 1/4" is not accurate placement!

Heck, as I type this the website is still advertising the “design with just a pen” feature. It shows someone drawing on the material and then etching with perfect placement. As we all know, that doesn’t work. The etching will be up to 1/4" away from where the pen marks are!

When looked at from this perspective, I think the loss of Snapmarks is a losing a feature that was promised from day one. Not the loss of a beta feature that was never really promised, or only promised as a premium feature.

I know my opinion is just one perspective and that GlowForge needs to do what is right for the business. But I think @ade hit the issue right on the head with reply #505, every single time I want to do something that would have been easier with Snapmarks I’m going to be more and more resentful.

Tom

5 Likes

How much older is the 3D printing industry as a whole? There are what…3? competitors in the same range as GF? There are Chinese lasers, but I hear you’d want to replace 80% of everything that comes with them.

How much were tiny printers 10 years ago? How many companies where selling them? Sure they’re in the 150-300 for decent size and quality now and really good if you go resin, but that’s still 2-500 for decent size. But if you want to work at realistic sizes resin is still 1500+(Elagoo is amazing) and filament 800+. And as you stated, none have design programs.

Does any 3D printer have free design programs that someone would use?(why no China, I don’t want your 17 virii installed on my pc with a pirated 7 year old program) Paper printers won’t help you design anything, only help with layout. Just like a slicer.

The FOMO, yeah, that’s a fecal laiden idea.

unless they really do charge 50$ at some point in time. In which case, that doesn’t seem worth it but right now we can all lock it at 15$.

They only ever promised a print driver. That’s what the basic service is. This whole paragraph, in fact, is all they’ve ever promised. It’s about as entitled as complaining about the lack of a physical Ethernet port that was never mentioned.

Though you could complain about a lack of integration as an actual print driver into popular programs that was on the original docket for development such as illustrator and others as well as native support for some file extensions that hasn’t happened as of yet.

2 Likes

Do you every miss the days of setting up the camera and waiting for the perfect light to hit some beautiful spot in the middle of nowhere?

7 Likes

100% agree.
I am not sure what the $50 / month is really getting aside from the graphics and the ‘fast lane’ but for anyone making original graphics, $50 just simply doesn’t justify.
$13/month CDN for netflix and I get endless entertainment and continual renewal. $50? Come on!

2 Likes

I really do…

I may or may not be looking at the viability of putting a 220v 120-watt laser into a new trailer. I don’t know if I could make it work with everything I have now. Or if it’s the right path to take. I just brainstorm a lot of things until a light goes off and then the rest is history.

6 Likes

You’ve misunderstood what that is saying. Your processing speeds have gotten faster, and that is not going away even if you don’t sign up for the super-fast speed.

It’s explained here in more detail:

3 Likes

No one ever said anything about slowing down current users! If someone else is in the comuter lane then the regular Highway runs the same or faster.

3 Likes

I guess I did interpret that wrong. Thanks! However, I still think offering a faster lane for paid only on the functionality and performance of the software is a poor decision. I just think they should encourage best production for users and offer paid features being design needs, etc. Not speed and performance. Just my opinion.

The premium pricing helps to pay for renting faster servers. It’s not something they can give away for free, but a nice perk that can make the fees worthwhile for users with lots of complex files. I don’t understand why so many people object to the idea. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Thank you for clarifying.

No problem! :slightly_smiling_face:
They still don’t have the most sure-fire ways of getting the word out to all their customers of all the cool things they do for us along the way.

1 Like

I’ve been reading all the comments as they have went along. As a hobbyist, I think $15/month is not unreasonable in price. I would not pay the $50. Just having i.e. a shapes tool at your fingertips instead of having to go out and grab it when you’ve forgotten it is very helpful. And, being able to add some print i.e. a name is a quick way to personalize something you’ve designed…

Reading about snapmarks really makes me envious. i’d love to have the ability to use this and hope it stays and becomes a viable option for all.

i have to agree, it’s not ‘removing’ anything you’ve enjoyed all along, just adding something. Having been able to ‘enjoy’ the premium features (in beta), probably makes it feel like you’re losing.

6 Likes

We all do NOT know, my alignment is just fine as are many other people’s. Granted some people don’t have great alignment. Please don’t generalize your experience across tens of thousands of largely silent users. (Snapmarks are neat but not having them hasn’t hurt my ability to make things. )

5 Likes

I routinely place my artwork reliably using only the camera, as I noted up above. The engraving on the watch band in the photo was precisely placed using only visual alignment, after squaring the band to the front of the machine.

4 Likes

Same here. I tried snapmarks once, but didn’t really see the need. If you properly configure your bed camera it doesn’t seem to be an issue.

3 Likes

Not everyone is able to get the same accuracy. We are quick to jump in to support threads and remind them that anything up to 1/4" is within spec. My machine is most excellent after calibration but I also see the benefit of Snapmarks for reusable jigs, and for people who haven’t gotten as lucky with the camera lottery.

2 Likes

For that, and for print-and-cut operations (where it’s hard to get rotational accuracy because of the inaccuracy of printer paper feeds), Snapmarks is great. Nobody seems to be harping on those things, though. They’re all bringing up visual placement, which has improved to the point of making the extra time and trouble of incorporating Snapmarks pretty much unnecessary.

4 Likes