Discussion of September Announcement

What??? Where did you see that? They lease Google Cloud servers…they’ve never said anything about purchasing supercomputers.

12 Likes

couldn’t ever get snapmarks to work on my machine, because the installed camera is so terrible.

hopefully this will get fixed when I send it in for service.

unfortunately, service is replace with a refurb, that isn’t guaranteed to be as clean as the one I have… I like my glowforge, but the frustrations are adding up.

The refurbs are cleaned and checked over before they are sent out, but it is possible to get one that might still have an issue. (So yeah, it’s a good idea to check it over.)

Hopefully your refurb will be able to use the Snapmarks. (If your old machine had a camera issue, it might work out for the best overall. Hope so for your sake.)

2 Likes

wow, what happened when you ran the camera calibration job? did it just go haywire?

1 Like

I don’t recall the results of the camera test, but the image was so blurry it was, for all practical purposes, unusable… it’s loaned out to a friend and will ship directly back from there…I look forward to having a system with a clean image that can make good use of snapmarks.

I’m also hoping that cut consistency across the cutting field is better. in my unit, cutting proofgrade, if I cut 1" circles across the field, some percentage wouldn’t cut all the way through. After cleaning, and mirror and lens replacement, I could never resolve it.

Well crap… I missed the signup by 6 days… My life got turned upside down with a loved on being diagnosed with stage 3 cancer and completely forgot to go upgrade… Will this discount be available at another time? I don’t think I can swing the $50 a month right now

1 Like

I’m so very sorry! The discount is probably the least of your worries right now.
(They might offer another discount later, or they might not…I don’t know. But it wouldn’t hurt to shoot them an email at support@glowforge.com, explain the situation, tell them that you would like to still sign up for the Premium service, and ask if they can do anything to help.)

They might not be able to, but you haven’t lost anything by asking. (And good luck to your loved one.)

4 Likes

I wish that I could say that I feel your pain, but I just can’t understand what your problem is. When the Premium offer came out, I simply evaluated whether it was worth it to me now and in the future and I made my decision accordingly. Its not like GF took anything away. They simply offered a bank of faster computers (along with some other things to sweeten the pot and encourage a buyin) and asked those who wanted to use the faster computers to pay extra for them. Quite frankly I have the fast lane and I’m not sure you would notice a difference. I’ll explain later.

Lord love a duck! This is why I say you would not notice the difference between the fast lane and a basic access. 5 projects a year and you are concerned with how fast the software calculates your cuts? I could understand that kind of concern from a professional cranking out a score of projects a day with the clock running but it just doesn’t take that much time even on the slower tier to turn on the GF light after you hit PRINT. Believe me when I tell you that you are getting your hobby machine use out of your Glowforge.

I’m not sure how you even respond to this comment without it sounding ugly. There are lots of cut plans for sale in the GF catalog, not just the ones that are offered for free to Premium members. Anyone who has access to those either pays for them directly, or pays for them by being granted some other membership access (an entitlement rather than a true freebie). The fact that you say that free cut plans are not an incentive for you since they are reposted to pirate sites is an admission that you are downloading things illegally from what GF has for sale in their catalog and using them. The morality aside, do you think it is wise to admit that in a public forum run by the very people you are stealing from? And then complain about their charges on top of that?

12 Likes

Don’t ever stop giving your opinions! You’re uber awesome and haters will always hate. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Thank you kiddo! :wink:
Great to see you popping back in again…How’s Canada holding up? Is it chilly there yet?

2 Likes

It’s cold and I’m so busy with work… Our work is on rotation because covid restriction. I only go in once a week but things changes by the minute… many projects cancelled/funding for buildings/transport/maintenance cancelled etc… every dept wants money… I’m like… I got nothing!

1 Like

yikes! How the heck are you supposed to function on one day a week? That’s how long it takes to just get caught up with what the last crew did.

1 Like

I work from home the rest of the week but it’s just hard to have meetings online with some not so tech savvy co-workers… One guy’s wife was doing laundry in the background on our zoom meeting in her bra and undies…

10 Likes

:rofl: Screen cap or it never happened!

6 Likes

oh man! that was like a couple months ago! There were other blunders too… like screaming kids from other co-workers… and someone leaving their camera on and their dog was looking around and started chewing the camera… :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Really liked your entire post. This stuck out though…it’s something my sister used to say and I haven’t heard it in years. :grinning:

7 Likes

i snoozed and lost out on the upgrade to premium for the lesser price.

Again…try sending an email to support@glowforge.com and just ask. If they say no, you’re no worse off than you were before. But waiting too long will probably increase the odds of the “no” response…they’re not out to screw people, but they will eventually move on.

Good luck!

I stand by my statement. Glowforge only promises that a given unit will be within 0.25". The fact that some units do better than that doesn’t change the specs. That’s why my statement says “UP TO”.

My unit is also much better than 0.25". But that’s not how engineering specifications work. They promised camera based alignment, then they publish specs that say that what they mean is within 1/4". That’s not aligned by anyone’s definition of the word.

1 Like

I picked that up way back in the fall of 1969, at the beginning of my Freshman year in college. One of my dorm mates was a preacher’s kid {PK) and always used it when an expletive was called for. :smile:

5 Likes