Discussion of September Announcement

Hi Shelda,

I believe you can sort that out by sending an email to support@glowforge.com. Tell them that you want to subscribe to the Premium membership and that your machine hasn’t arrived yet. (It might take them some time to sort it out, but I believe you would still qualify for the discount…the signup deadline isn’t until tomorrow.)

So, I’ve been a bit out of the loop and while I’m interested in this service, I’m definitely not up for paying $50 per month. Unfortunately, it looks like I missed the cutoff for the discounted service by two days! (Don’t recall getting any emails and I often go months without visiting these forums.) Seems a little unfair.

1 Like

It’s been displayed in the user interface every time you open it. If you haven’t used the machine in that long, it’s unlikely to be of much benefit to you.

1 Like

I have a feeling this wonʻt be the last chance at getting a discount. The presence of a field for entering discount codes suggests that future discounts will be possible.

3 Likes

@dan I think the question still remains with teasing that Snapmarks are coming to premium then what is the time frame? Even offering us the option of participating in the Snapmarks beta? I am fine treating this as a Patreon (which maybe that is a better model for this) for Snapmarks, but like the others, I have zero use for the other features and will likely not make any of the “free” premium designs.

In addition, it would be good to know if you have, in fact, started development of Snapmarks again.

Two cents from a really old over 90 hobby user. Yesterday 11/5/2020 I fired up the GF, it having been off line since 9/30/2020. Us people at retirement home are dealing with COVID-19. To my surprise I found I’d missed a 11/03/2020 deadline for a Premium subscription at $15/month. Now it’d cost $50/month. I’m on a fixed income and that is just not affordable for me. I’ve used Snapmarks and that would be nice to have but not at the current price. So I’ll use the GF as is without Premium perks.

If you want Premium, I would suggest emailing them to let them know you missed the promotion window. Maybe they’ll cut you some slack. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sure I have missed this somewhere but is there currently a process to submit designs? My search-fu has been lacking.

Not quite yet…(which is why I qualified that with “one day”.) :smile:
Hopefully soon.

2 Likes

Thanks. I noticed some designs that are from the community already - unless they are GF employee community members. :wink:

1 Like

I believe those are the test files for it, but have no idea how many details they have to finish hammering out. (They always do a trial run up front to work out the kinks with some of the Regulars, and they had requested some submissions a few months ago. They haven’t set up the royalty system yet, those were a one time purchase.) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Some thing my wife and I noticed after the recent “updates” is that our engrave times have jumped a pretty considerable amount. Where a job used to take 5 minutes, it now takes 20-30 minutes for the exact same engraving. Updating features is great and increased processing speeds are fantastic, but why the sudden decrease in actual speed of process? We even tried double and triple checking to see if the settings had changed in our saved engraving. Nothing was different and yet our engraving speed times have great increased??? What could be causing this? I even thought the laser head was dirty so I cleaned everything. Can someone explain why this might be happening? Thanks in advance! Also we have a pro model.

The SD engrave settings for vector engraves have been upgraded (see announcement below). They are quite a bit slower, so if you’re not interested in the improvement in quality (it’s slight, but I like it), you can use the old settings (1000/full, IIRC) instead.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

As stated above, the premium update increased the processing time but is unrelated to engrave times. A separate, unrelated event was the modification of the SD engrave settings for Proofgrade materials. I believe the speed for SD engraves changed from 1000 to 525 or 535 with a suitable reduction of power. The slower engrave speed accounts for the increased times you are seeing. If you like how your projects looked before this change, simply input the 1000/full settings manually and carry on.

1 Like

We have rarely ever used the standard settings for any of our projects. We almost always use custom settings to get the look we are going for. ( our business logo) so even at 1000 speed and full power, we still get the increased times. Which is odd if I do say so myself. Like I said before these are even on the exact same print er engraving we had done previously. Strange to say the least.

the speed is the speed, that hasn’t changed. have you checked the rest of your settings? that sounds like your LPI is significantly higher.

2 Likes

There has been no change in machine speed. As stated, speed is speed. If the same file is printing slower, your settings have been changed.

The Premium “upgrade” simply processes the file faster before you hit the button. A single straight line takes several seconds to “process”, a complex engrave/cut (think an ornament) takes 15-30 seconds. The “upgrade” might knock a second or two off those times. It has no impact on the time to actually print.

3 Likes

Have you rotated your artwork to fit it into the space, by any chance? That can significantly change your engrave time.

2 Likes

Yeah - that claim that glowforge had purchased’supercomputers’ now is imho the most cringe worthy statement I have ever seen on this forum.

Really? So terribly sorry. Guess you’ll just have to find another place where everyone is going to tell you what you want to hear and agree with you, so you can feel nice and secure in your group think.

Because I won’t stop giving my opinions here. :smile:

15 Likes