Discussion of the April '17 update

Chuckle! They’ve also got us testing it to make sure that it works consistently before offering it to everyone else.

(The stuff I’ve had was really good, but I don’t know how much testing is normally needed for something like this.)

3 Likes

It was said

“We have an early beta version of the Glowforge shop where prerelease customers can buy Proofgrade materials and, in time, other items too.”

May I please have the link so I can compare all the variables, Thank you.

They are only giving access to people who have received a pre-release unit.
I want to see it too. We all do.

2 Likes

Not yet. Prices are not final, which is why only the folks using the pre-release and beta machines for testing are allowed access now.

1 Like

Which variables are you referring to?

The shop URL is trivial to guess but unless you’re a pre-release user you won’t be able to login yet.

1 Like

I cant wait to get my glowforge… I been working on my necklaces pieces, lanterns, acrylic photos and many more items…

13 Likes

Me also. I wanted the higher power and pass though but initially (maybe still?) I was to ship much later. I think the small power boost wouldn’t help enough, I think I will eventually buy a 60-100 watt Chinese model if I get enough use from the GF.

Great update- A lot of very good, practical information both on the process and for what we’ll eventually receive. Thank you!

I[quote=“dan, post:111, topic:6904”]
However, as we write the manual for the Pro, we have a team of laser safety experts exploring ways to legally, safely operate a Class 4 laser in an open area. I’m cautiously hopeful we may have some good news on that front eventually.
[/quote]

i was originally going to joke but the more i think about it, i wonder if putting it inside of a small greenhouse-like structure would work, haha, with the basics outside for close-up viewing.

2 Likes

I was pondering basically a box with a hinged back opening or something, made of laser safety glass or something like that. Can fully close for operation, but still see in.

1 Like

yeah, me too, if we’re gonna be all sensible an’ stuff

2 Likes

Well, I’ve been slashed by Occam’s Razor a few times. Now I always try to come up with the simplest solution, not that I always can. A clear, CO2 laser-proof enclosure certainly seems doable, though.

1 Like

Hi Dan, Universal Lasers ILS and XLS systems are essentially dual-classed machines, with class 1 in normal use and class 4 when setup for pass-thru. Please see patent “Laser conversion systems and methods for converting laser systems for operation in different laser safety classifications”…maybe more than one way to do.

8 Likes

Just a bit of sticky tape over the passthrough slot then!

1 Like

I just took it as an opportunity to get some laser safety glasses.

24 Likes

“Where we’re going, we don’t need roads…”

10 Likes

I guess that it’s timely that I feel in heaven after seeing a PRO unit in the wild and the passthrough! Go GF Gang Go!

3 Likes

I will 100% buy that shirt from you. What’s your price?

I can’t comment on other companies’ assertions about how their compliance regime works (and can’t look at other companies’ patents as a matter of company policy). I can only tell you what conclusions we’ve reached based on our reading of the regulations, conversations with the CDRH, and discussion with our laser safety consultants.

10 Likes
`The right back of the filter exhaust inlet will match up to the right back of the Glowforge exhaust outlet through an elbow connector. At least that's my understanding.`

I have to admit that I assumed that the exhaust would vent straight from the GlowForge down into the air filter, not through an external tube looping down. That’s a minor bummer - the result won’t look as neat - but it’s certainly not the end of the world.

3 Likes