Discussion of the April '18 update

People have been surrounded by lasers for a long time, but always enclosed in a read/write drive or some other secure means. Now we got things that actually can be mis-used without tearing it apart and hacking the hell out of it. So regulation overkill is in the future for lasers.

Regulation overkill rises to the top in a lot of actions against new tech. There is a trend to make everything fit into a tidy box that is all inclusive. While this may make the law or regulation easier to write, it is an impossible goal and usually responsible for terrible law. Sweeping the good up with the bad.

I initially had plans to use a laser line for 3D imaging of people, statues, etc. The rig worked well.
Problem is, too many people were misusing those pesky pointers. What we ended up with is a law against painting people or animals with a laser, initially the red dot on a gun sight, but those pesky pointers caused it to evolve into an all inclusive laser painting (the feds already got the vehicle part of this covered. Bikes to planes ā€“ vehicle is rather open ended).

So instead of just being worried about looking suspicious as I laser lined a building or statues or groups of people, I was going to be busted and face huge fines.

I get it. Safety rules and regs are usually written in blood, but the push for zero tolerance (to make it easier to enact), instead of going after specific things, has a huge negative side.

Donā€™t know enough about Norwegian law to state if they can make the rules manageable or not. They can only hope for the best over there I suppose.

1 Like

@dan
Is there any particular reason for the late estimated delivery of GF Pro to the Saudi Arabia?
I guess it is not a production issue since you are shipping within days to the States!

Thanks

Dan, that was an interesting update- thank you. Iā€™d really like to know when international, or more specifically for me users in the United Kingdom will be able to purchase proof grade materials and download items from the catalogue?

Itā€™s frustrating in a couple of ways that we are unable to purchase!

2 Likes

This was related to handheld laser pointers, which together with lasers used in the health industry have specialized rules.

The general rules is

• Laser Classification - EN 60825-1
  • Class 2 above must be marked with danger sign
  • The laser must be marked with what class it belongs too.

Companies using laser have a few demands on them

• Must have performed a risk assement
  • Have procedures on safe use
  • Ensure and document enough competence on the operator(s)
  • Report the use of the laser to the government.

I fail to find any resources on use of class 4 laser by private individuals. This might cause the holdup, but I am only guessing.

1 Like

The shield was going to be a magnetic thing right? I have these screw in pain in the butts. Safety first I guess. Haha

1 Like

Chuckle! Me too.

I guess theyā€™re really not that bad, but I accidentally installed them upside down once and spent a week happily lasering away without even noticing. :smile::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Working on it! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s one of the countries where we havenā€™t cleared all compliance and logistics issues yet, Iā€™m afraid.

Sorry if I missed this - but what exactly are the ā€œupgraded componentsā€ available on the Plus and not the Basic? Iā€™m trying to help a friend figure out which machines to buy for his school.

The Plus has the same higher powered tube that the Pro does, but does not have the Passthrough slot. Making it safer for unmonitored school situations (Class 1). It does not have the additional cooling for use in a wider temperature range.

Some of the Basic units tested by the PreRelease folk were set up with them. They can almost make it through half inch material in one pass. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks Jules! :+1:

1 Like

Just to add my data point: I ordered a Glowforge Basic with Air Filter in Oct. 2015. My office space does not allow for running an exhaust tube to the outdoors, so I canā€™t use the Glowforge without the Air Filter. Thus Iā€™m delaying all shipping until the Air Filter can also be shipped.

A few months ago my ESND on the air filter was listed as in May of 2018, Now itā€™s August 14, 2018. I am surprised that itā€™s taking them so long to get the air filters done.

Breaking News from Canada: My shipping date has changed from July 1st!

Now itā€™s September. :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Australian shipments (at least for the pro) have slipped again, from the end of June all the way to mid October ā€“ at which point after accepting and shipment the current update appears like it will be pushing up on Christmas time. Very sad news.

@dan, whilst the C&L challenges with some countries seem to be proving to be difficult,
ā€“ could you please consider providing a live update on progress per country still remaining in terms of % C&L completion ā€“ something that the last few of us hopefuls can look at to be assured that progress is being made instead of solely relying on the estimated date on the account page that feels like it can keep getting shifted indefinitely.

1 Like

Surprise, surprise! It is saying November for both, the GF Pro and the filter.

@Dan,
What are you guys in GF doing to sort out the compliance and the logistical issues?

Lol, Basic to Australia dropped to October - if only there was any respect left to lose

5 Likes

I, too, am shocked to report that the ESND on my (US) Glowforge and filter has fallen back again, this time by a little more than three weeks to June 30. That will be 999 days from when I forked over $4,000+ on Day 2; perhaps The Very Best Information Machine is not equipped to deal with the number of digits it now has to reckon with.

At least I can comfort myself in the meantime with the exciting news that customers who order today can enjoy more choices, substantial price reductions, and take delivery in ten days.

2 Likes

Interesting. My air filter to the UK date has just slipped from June 24th, (where it has been for a long time) to June 30th also.

I feel so bad that my PRO shipment is again delayed! From May, July and now Nov!! And no any explanation no any reason but just a new date. It is the 4th times! The forecast now means nothing to me! You guys can postpone it with no responsibility anyway!

3 Likes

Do you know what the practical difference is between the two cooling systems? You mentioned a wider temperature range, but what is the range? As I think about models, Iā€™m trying to figure out what the upgrade would mean on a day to day basis. Beyond the obvious of the more powerful laser and passthrough.