Discussion of the May '17 Update

This is correct. I apologize for being unclear.

The entire post referred to all three products we’re producing.

We’ve been delivering units already this month. Do you mean “when will we stop calling our deliveries prerelease units”? If so, we haven’t announced a date for that.

13 Likes

Yes, a “forever” unit is the milestone that everyone is looking for. You could have 25 PRUs in 25 different hands at the Bay area makers fair and the impatient (whom I don’t blame) and your competition will claim you are not shipping.

7 Likes

Let me clarify. With lasers when checking the Focus at one point this does NOT tell you the material is flat. It simply tells you the location of the top surface of the work material. In order to determine if a material has Skew or Bed Level issues an absolute minimum of 2 (two) total measurements would need to be taken, and normally three would be in order to determine the workpiece alignment in relation to the gantry/laser head.

For example focus check @ 0,0/Home gets surface height, check at x-max, y-0 can tell you bed level issues, and also checking again at x-max, y-max will tell you the entire work plane shift etc.

It would then take an additional check elsewhere on the work surface to determine if the material had a bow or was warped.

Commercial production grade metal lasers use capacitive inductance to accurately track and shift he focus to the work material surface to assist for compensating bowing and warping, either from material shape, or from thermal distortion.

4 Likes

Spot on. And it only tells you about that one point. The surface can be different in other places. Not uncommon with wood that warps - hence the discussions on magnets here.

Was just wondering if the product of the GF is still in a pre-release situation or are we expected to get contacted by a staff soon about first batch deliveries?

I really need to get my head around and being updated with the GF :frowning: but uni is killing me cries

We are currently shipping pre-release units, and are scheduled to deliver all production units by the end of July/August depending on order date. We haven’t shared any interim dates.

8 Likes

Righto! Thanks for that Dan! :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been a big supporter of GF, and while maybe not very vocal here, I have been elsewhere. I’m still around, so that should tell you something, however, through all of the delays, you have said you were right on schedule…until you weren’t, which usually happened VERY close to the projected ship date, so you will have to pardon all of us who are on the edge of our seat waiting to see if it actually ships this time. I’m not trying to beat you up, running my own company I feel for your position, and I truly believe you want to get us the best possible product you can, but you can’t be so blind as to not see our trepidation

18 Likes

Personally, as someone who is on the forums constantly, the first delay was obvious. The second time there was about a 70% chance it was delayed based on the communication. As of now, I’m still not blown away by the updates given and feel there is a real risk of another delay. I’d say about 50/50 at this point looking at the wording Dan chooses to use.

They are certainly making progress, and the number of beta units out there is very positive, but it feels very much like they are racing to the finish still; rather than polishing a few minor details.

I’m ok either way, ill take that delay money :chart_with_upwards_trend: and my :glowforge: when it’s ready.

13 Likes

At $20/month, it will be at $100 or $120 by the time you get your unit.
If it goes to December, $200.

I would have rather had my unit in hand, but its certainly a nice incentive for the team to deliver as quickly as possible.

4 Likes

Not at all. Things can go wrong at any time, and historically they have, so you’re right to not be confident until you receive your Glowforge.

We’re working our tails off to make that happen.

14 Likes

And I, for one, appreciate that you and the staff are working so hard to make it happen, but not absolutely committing to a deadline you are not absolutely certain that you can hit. (Life happens.) I am reasonably comfortable with the communication we are getting so far, because it tells me 2 key things.

1. So far, stuff is reasonably on track for the scheduled shipping deadline for owner units. Based on the details of the recent communications, I am comfortable that if you knew today that you absolutely could not make the current shipping deadline, you would let us know (previous last minute updates notwithstanding).
  2. You are so committed to this product that if something does come up that requires either missing that date or shipping a faulty unit, you will not deliberately pick to ship owners faulty units.

Yes, the delays get to be long sometimes, and I am very impatiently waiting (because I am so eager for my unit with all the posts from PRUs, and I have all kinds of ideas of what I want to do that are waiting on it). I’d still rather have it delayed and get your desired quality than get it a month or three sooner and have a huge problem with it.

I am comfortable that they will ship at the scheduled times, or there will be an excellent reason that they don’t. You have committed to a compensation package for the delays that shows a commitment to service and quality. It also shows me that the company is fronting a cost that shows they have additional incentives to get final owner units out as quickly as possible, because it does cost you more to delay. I am eagerly waiting for my owner unit, but I am willing to keep waiting for the team to be sure it is all right.

19 Likes

Thank you, Jason. An excellent statement that sets out my feelings exactly.
John

6 Likes

I think all of the PRU folks (at least post-Jan recipients) would agree that the machine we received is one we’d have been happy to have gotten as our forever-units. If I didn’t have a Pro ordered, I’d be fine with the PRU I’ve got. The build quality, fit and finish exceeded my expectations. By and large I haven’t had any real issues with the software (of the “I can’t use this” level). Some niggling issues but it’s often hard to tell if they’re software caused or my fault because I’m making assumptions based on how my other lasers & their software work. Even those wouldn’t cause me to be unhappy if this were the status of the shipping product.

15 Likes

Yep!

6 Likes

Naw, man…I just hate mine…can’t seem to do a thing with it… :wink:
(Lying, of course.)

15 Likes

Yeah. Don’t bother taking my PRU back. I’m unhappy with it because it’s dirty inside.

16 Likes

If you send it to me, I’ll thoroughly clean it, and I’ll even include a free comprehensive QA test to ensure I haven’t broken anything in the process. I promise I won’t return it to you until I’m 100% satisfied with my work.

18 Likes

Where’s that sarcasm emoji when ya need it???

5 Likes

I’m surprised that no one has commented on the Pro unit in the GF video. I thought originally (at the start of the video) it was a reflection from the glass table but at 2:28 that looks like the whole machine and not a reflection of the main unit.

3 Likes