Discussion of the November 2020 Update

The exported settings you are supposed to use are “printed” in the corner of the file in human-readable form:

The fact that they also include some internal data that you can only see if you examine the file in a text editor might be just a side effect of the way they’re generating the files, or perhaps they’re putting that in for future compatibility in case they ever decide to support automatically importing settings.

Another thing that occurs to me is that any such internal settings could be easily destroyed by a round trip through editing software, so that may be another reason they don’t want to go down that rabbit hole. (And again, just to be clear, I think they totally should go down that rabbit hole.)

2 Likes

Right - we built export, not import. :slight_smile:

Yes, Import’s nontrivial. In the hopper though!

5 Likes

With all the new updates and the Pro subscription being out when will the Snapmarks be available for use? I remember that it was in beta testing for a group of users and I was looking forward to it being available to use it. When I first got my GF you I downloaded the available template for the Snapmarks but could never actually us it on my GF.

Today’s free file i think is the snowman family ornament:

However, there is a problem. The text “Family Name” seems to be embedded as a graphic and can’t be edited (as far as I can tell - I’ve tried lots of things to see if I could). Also, being a Glowforge design, we can’t export the design to make edits to it in another application.

Can you please edit the design to have blank or editable name. Also if you can let us know the font used that would be helpful to keep it in line with the “2020” text.

Thanks,

4 Likes

Any chance the holiday spirit will move you to put the filter cartridge on sale? $250 is a hard nut to swallow. This will be my second in 3 months of GF ownership. And yes, I’ve been using pre-filters as suggested, and no, we don’t have the capacity at the moment to filter any other way.

Something’s got to give… and it shouldn’t be my wallet…

1 Like

As a workaround, it looks like you could set the text to ignore and then add or import your own text.

3 Likes

The directions indicate to set the text layer to ignore and to add your own using the text tool.

Surely all you’d have to do is to read the gf:laserdef tags in the SVG if they are present… If necessary, do a quick sanity check on them (all speeds and powers in the range of the used machine) and that would be it… Sounds fairly trivial to me. After all, I’m sure the software wouldn’t write those tags into the files if they’re not already read somewhere else.
If you want to argue about dangers of people putting different materials unsuitable for the loaded settings into the machine, that danger is already there if you save the settings in the UI.

Ahem. I didn’t actually see those until I reopened the SVG in Inkscape… I just looked at the source code and assumed the gf:laserdef tags were the export. My mistake… however, those laserdef tags look like they (c+sh)ould be put to better use than to just discard them on reimport - as I wrote in my last post minutes ago.

Glowforge Premium is normally $50/month and Black Friday is $25/month??? Are you serious?? Even at $25/month, the price is way too high. Would you consider making a Premium service for students at like $5-10/month? I struggle to see how the everyday person would be able to afford Premium… A person spends so much money to invest in a Glowforge in the first place, and then you want an additional $600/year then after for “speedy” printing service that from my experience in this 2-week Premium trial is no faster than how my Glowforge performed previously (and arguably a bit slower). I struggle to see how Premium would even be worth $25/month, when the company can’t even keep materials consistently in stock. Why pay for Premium, when I can’t even order materials to use the Glowforge on a regular basis.

Tbf, it’s only the processing servers that are supposed to be faster under premium, not the machine. From clicking print in the GFUI until the button lights up on the machine.

So, I have found that when I Export my design and then upload it again later, the general size is larger than the original design. Any idea why? I have NOT made any changes in the Exported Design. Simply saved, and then reloaded later.

1 Like

If you haven’t already created a ticket via email or in the P&S category you might consider doing that.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.