Discussion of the September 2017 update (OLD)

The bitter speculation on this thread is fascinating.

In other news, looks like we went to Day 8 on the Basics! I might be behind on the exact time it refreshed but that looks like we cleared out a day’s pre-orders in at least 4 calendar days (and really only 2 M-days). I noted Day 7 shipping on Aug 31st above.

That would put them back on track to send all the emails before Oct 30 (22 preorder days x 2 M-days to clear a day). No reason to suspect any other day had heavier ordering traffic for Basics after the first few. The ramp up is in evidence!

9 Likes

“Shipping Process Begun” might have been a better way to word it? I don’t know.
“Shipped” means to me that the product is out the door and in the hands of the carrier.
At least, that is what make sense to me.
I realize that there might be traditional definitions/labels to define this process by those managing these things.

5 Likes

Awesome!!! Just popped in hoping to see this type of update! Amazing ☆ Cannot wait for international shipping to start…I’m one of the few early NZ purchasers :heart: so fizzing for this. :heart: yeeeehaaa!!! Getting closer baby! Yeah! Over 2 years ive been dreaming of what i can make… i wont sleep for weeks when it arrives!

8 Likes

I bought something on eBay Sunday. It shipped Sunday too.

Not possible. It won’t be doing anything until today as it day was a federal holiday. EBay has been like this since inception. My first purchase was in 99 so at least 18 years shipped has meant less than actually shipped.

4 Likes

Yes but the least it means is shipping has been booked with the courier and they will pick it up the next working day, not that it has been ordered from the manufacturer who book the courier up to four weeks later.

1 Like

From the latest shipping dates entered into the google doc, of people who have received their GF, it looks like most have gotten their GF within 2-3 weeks of getting the email.

2 Likes

the point stands; calling it shipment is absurd and a miscalculation on glowforge’s part, i think. if they’d just said something like “we’d like your address, please; then we will build your glowforge and ship it sometime in the next six weeks,” i don’t think you’d have as much complaining about it even though it’s the same exact process.

young company, though. marketing and communications is easy to screw up.

4 Likes

Yes but some have waited the full 6 weeks so you can’t risk saying yes unless you are at home for the next six weeks. If instead they emailed just before dispatch you would only need to be home for two weeks and you could delay replying to shift that around a vacation.

By using a definition of shipping that nobody else uses they make it uniquely difficult to receive it after waiting two years.

Perhaps it only affects me because I happen to be taking two long vacations close together. Maybe OS shipping will be delayed so much it won’t have any effect on me at all.

I build guitars. Each build takes a long time because I work a full time job and just do this on the side. I cant imagine telling my customer that “shipping” has begun or that their guitar has “shipped” when all I did was begin making sawdust… I don’t think ANY customer of mine would be happy with that usage of the term “shipped”.

7 Likes

They could fix it, I don’t understand the reluctance to do so. They have acknowledged the difference between shipment and delivery, and have said all preorders “delivered” by 31 Oct.

3 Likes

i know, i agree, but from their pov they probably don’t care that much. it’s an extremely temporary issue for them. lots of interesting comms choices.

Yeah! That is when I was introduced to Ebay too! Learned REALLY fast how to be a sniper :smiley: Have the BEST username…it’s a sniper one, lol.

1 Like

Well, there is money involved in it a little bit as well. The promised $20 a month from the December 16 delay is ended when they “ship” or, as Dan has confirmed, when you receive your email. So changing it could result in some issues with with that. It probably wouldn’t be much, but in trying to avoid bad press, it’s easier to ignore it and press ahead as is.

1 Like

Fortunately, I don’t have to worry about missing that email any longer. Unfortunately now I actually have to clean the shop to prepare for arrival of my new friend sometime in the next six weeks.

19 Likes

Congrats on getting your Golden Email… Now procrastinate some more it will be there quickly :wink:

4 Likes

Actually it could have. The Post Office near me at the airport (about 15 minutes away) is open Sundays since they’re a hub for transhipment across much of the state. When I sell on ebay I usually have it pre-packaged and ready for a label and then I can just drop it off. Even if I’m sending it via UPS I’ll drop it in their bin - they’re also about 15 minutes away. Since I have a day job, I like to get stuff done on the weekend. I’ll usually time auctions to end on a Friday or Saturday so I can get them in the mail before Monday.

Heck I got stuff from Amazon yesterday on a federal holiday via USPS :slight_smile: The traditional “work week” doesn’t apply anymore.

6 Likes

i wouldn’t say that, although it’s absolutely true they have limited expanded hours service. it’s not a normal / normal cost thing usually tho.

i mixed feelings about things like that though i usually side, like most people, lazily on the side of convenience.

2 Likes

Congratulations! :grinning::sparkles::balloon::tada::confetti_ball::boom:

1 Like

On the delivery side I agree. Amazon must have quite a deal with UPS and USPS to get weekend & holiday deliveries. (And for Prime, it’s not directly costing me anything in additional shipping.)

For drop-offs, the USPS airport hub is open 7 days a week until 10pm because although customer access isn’t something that is supported for most post office locations, they are sorting and moving stuff through the distribution chain - even though they only “count” weekdays in their delivery estimates :slight_smile: They’re reacting to the changes in their customer expectations to some extent and the reality of competing against players who are more nimble.

3 Likes

oh :100:, some mail work has always been a night/weekend deal, or at least in giant cities. i guess i was just sort of drawing a line between them and say ups/fedex.

frankly i’m in favor of no mail service on the weekend. give me one day of respite dag nabbit.