Dividing a large vector image in Affinity Designer

If you have a vector image that’s larger than the printable area of your bed, and want to break it up into pieces, here’s one way you can approach it, using Affinity Designer:

1. Draw a rectangle the size of your printable area (10.5 x 19 ish). Replicate it (ctrl-J) several times until you have enough rectangles to cover your whole image. (Make sure the snap function is on; it’s the little magnet at the top of your screen. That will make it easy to make sure the rectangles are aligned exactly against each other.)

1. Replicate your vector image (ctrl-J again) so you have as many copies of it as you have rectangles. Hide all but one, so that you can see what you’re doing.

1. Hold down the shift key and select the visible vector image plus the first rectangle, and click the “union” boolean function in the top menu bar. This will leave you with only the portion of the vector that fits inside the selected rectangle.

1. Now make the next copy of the vector image visible, and repeat #3 with the next rectangle, until you have a piece of your vector for each rectangle you created.

1. Here’s how it looks when I move the sections away from each other so you can see them individually:

27 Likes

And BTW this can become a horrible rabbit hole if you are working on a very large design:

This project I am working on at the hospital is large enough that it became 40 parts… AND BEFORE SOMEONE COMMENTS, I AM COMPLETELY AWARE OF BUTT-JOINTS NOT HAVING Z-AXIS STRENGTH. THERE ARE PLATES WELDED OVER EACH ONE TO MAKE THEM STRONG. AIN’T MY FIRST RODEO… I DID RECOMMEND TO THE TEAM THAT NEEDED THIS, THAT MAYBE PAYING FOR SOMEONE WITH A 48" LASER WOULD BE WAY EASIER…

14 Likes

Man you really do push the limits of creativity. I am in awe!

4 Likes

:slight_smile: Love the pre-emptive warning against “helpful” advice :wink:

4 Likes

You are an absolute gem! Thank you so very much for the instructions.

If the design is made of lots of group layers and subgroup layers of curves, there is no way to do this unless you turn the groups and subgroups into a compound curve or join all the curves, right? I’m hoping there is a way to work with group layerss.