Dodecahedron Project

Agreed - the right tool for the right job! GF is going to be great for many things, but not a panacea.

5 Likes

Check amazon for router bit sets (with the smaller shanks). I bought an inexpensive set (probably not the best quality, but I plan on using them for craft and small uses, I donā€™t need top of the line - and the price was right) I think Hasrbor Freight may even have some that fit to play around with .

4 Likes

I have heard horror stories about cheap router bits with a guide bearing that exploded. I was not able to substantiate any of these stories with photos from the web, but found a good number of stories about bits of carbide being flung around workshops, due mostly to operator error.
What ever bits you use, for whatever toolā€¦ wear safety glasses!

8 Likes

Not just glasses. I still wear an old fashioned shop apron made out of heavyweight denim. And long sleeves. Taking a bit fragment in the chest can be damaging if your normal attire is a t-shirt :slight_smile:

7 Likes

WOW, yes I think so!

1 Like

Donā€™t forget kick back and no climb cutting unless your experienced and knowledgeable!

I always wear safety glasses - dremeling anything. The bits donā€™t seem overly shoddy/cheap and using the dremel table most pieces are small less than 3-4 inch lengths (that Iā€™ve work with). For my full size router, I wouldnā€™t go with cheap bits at all. Plus with the little cover , if for some reason the bit broke , if I was holding the wood (hopefully) most shards would go off to the side or not too far. Letā€™s hope I never find out. Only used it several times to put a 45 angle on small 1/4 inch pieces and it worked like a charm.

I do wear full face and a denim apron when using my latheā€¦(with clothes underneath it of courseā€¦:flushed:)

6 Likes

I had my own small ā€˜horrorā€™ story this weekend. Working on the bandsaw, the blade jumped at the end of the cut and straight into my finger. Deep cut, but I wonā€™t lose a fingertip, Iā€™m hoping with the right care I can minimize scarring. Guess Iā€™m not playing guitar for a whileā€¦

10 Likes

Ouch. But where thereā€™s a willā€¦ A fellow musician (and woodworker) cut 1/2" off the tips of three of his fretting fingers. When the fingers healed he was left with several wide stubby finger tips. Far wider than standard string spacing. He spent a couple years learning how to build his own custom guitars to fit his new hand. Heā€™s now a very good luthier.

6 Likes

Iā€™m not going to ā€œLikeā€ that oneā€¦you are so lucky! Iā€™m glad it didnā€™t take it off!

To minimize scarring and speed healingā€¦Helichrysum Italicumā€¦20 drops of the pure essential oil in 30 ml (1 ounce) of carrier oil (grapeseed oil is good) and apply a couple of drops of the diluted mixture around the scar area until the scab closes, then over the top of the scar once it falls off. (Couple of times to several times daily.)

Buy the pure Helichrysum at the link belowā€¦and itā€™s concentrated. Do not get the pure oil on yourself!

Get a little 1 ounce (30ml) amber glass bottle (or cobalt glass), put 20 drops of the Helichrysum in the bottom of the bottle, then fill it with Grapeseed oil. (grocery store). You can get the amber glass bottles with droppers at Amazon as well.

6 Likes

Sure, now I come across something like this. I cut a fingertip off (mandolins really are wicked sharp). I touched it out initially but ended up in a doc-in-the-box a couple days later when I tried to remove my self-applied bandage to clean it and almost passed out. Never felt pain like that.

I was surprised to find that your fingertips are like gecko tails and will regenerate. (Bone tips are iffy.) Took almost a year but itā€™s back to normal length. Nerves are sketchy but it works fine. Noticed the fingerprint is different - more widely spaced whorls.

:slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

:confounded: Oh, Iā€™m so sorry! That sounds awful! (And I didnā€™t know the tips could regenerate.)

1 Like

My condolences, itā€™s a hard one we all have to face. I took my left pinky tip off(kitchen accident luckily). Just flesh , no bone. Took a good many months to get the skin right. After it all healed up, I still could put any pressure on the tip it was so sensitive. About 1-2 years later I started to learn guitar on a whim, and that built up a callous and desensitized it .

@Jules wish I knew that recipe back then.

3 Likes

Just looked it up and wouldnā€™t be able to ship before late this weekā€¦

Whelpā€¦just ordered it anyway. Iā€™ll let you know if I notice anything specific by using this. I REALLY donā€™t want complications while playing guitar, I play in a band and will definitely need to be playing in only a few weeks, not 1-2 years laterā€¦

2 Likes

It was 1-2 years later that I picked up the guitar, and it helped. Not 1-2 years of playing. Grammers and word smithing aient my thing :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the project that got me.

Was cutting the drawer handles

12 Likes

Oh you guys! Youā€™re making me cringe here! :confounded:

I developed an anti-scar blend that has calendula, geranium, copaiba, helichrysum, and frankincense in an aloe or tamanu baseā€¦I gave some to a sister-in-law who had to have a deep basal cell carcinoma removed from under her eye, six weeks before her daughterā€™s wedding.

When the wedding rolled around, there was no scar. And she wasnā€™t wearing makeup base. We actually forgot to comment on it. Nothing there.

So it really does speed healing, and IIRC helichrysum is good support to prevent nerve damage as well.

Oh by the way guys - it works on old scars as well - it just takes longer. Had a deep scar from a mole removal, it was raised, red and it still hurt from my shirt rubbing on it two years laterā€¦started applying the helichrysum several times a dayā€¦it was white, flat, nearly invisible and completely painless in three months or so. Give it a try.

Just remember to dilute it.

10 Likes

Nice

Glad it wasnā€™t worse, but that whole musician and woodworking this is a tough call. I gouged my left index finger with a handsaw about 30 years ago and it is the one finger that demonstrates less ease of use when Iā€™m playing the guitar. Hope everything heals well.

2 Likes